Profile for D. Bradbury > Reviews

Content by D. Bradbury

D. Bradbury (Scotland, UK)

Oregon Scientific BAR208HG Wireless Weather Station with Humidity and Weather Alert
Offered by Smart Living

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 8 Feb. 2014
I bought this on impulse 6 weeks ago. How I wish I had read and taken notice of the reviews on this site first. I concur with almost all of them and particularly with the adverse ones.
Oregon describe this as "an Advanced Weather Station" yet it is not as good as my other Oregon model No BAR629HGU which I have had for several years. "Advanced" is a false description.
Weaknesses include the fact that the remote sensor supplied with it is not really designed for outside use as it must be placed in a position "shielded from direct sunlight or wet conditions" and "no higher than five foot" which rules out pretty much all obvious places around most houses. The only way to fix it to a surface is to hang it.
Another, the "memory" function is useless. It "remembers" an indeterminate and unquantified period which lasts no more than 24 hours and is probably less than this. Exactly when it chooses to clear the min/max figures is impossible to say but if you want to see or record such information over a couple of days or longer, forget it. (My original, older, model "remembers" such figures until I choose to reset it and start again).
The manual is a booklet which consists of about 80 small pages of which 8 are in English. Nowhere in the English section is it explained that the min/max records are limited in any way by time. In fact, under the small paragraph explaining the Temperature and Humidity it says "to toggle between current minimum and maximum records for the selected sensor Press MEM repeatedly" and adds "to clear the records Press and Hold MEM".
To me this suggests that the instrument should retain such records until I choose to delete them - exactly what I want and expected. Because it doesn't do this I assumed that my instrument was faulty and so put an enquiry by e mail to the Oregon Customer Service Team to assertain if this was so. I got an immediate automated acknowledgement, waited a week without any formal response and sent a follow-up e mail asking for an answer. Again an automated response was immediate followed a day later by a formal response suggesting that their first reply must have gone into my Spam file. It hadn't. They asked me to resubmit my enquiry which I did using the reply function to maintain the thread. I asked again "was mine a faulty unit or was it a problem in their design specification".
The response from Oregon states "there is no way for you to see on the BAR208HG the max/min over any period you might choose (a week for instance) due to the fact that this model only records the max/min over a period of 24 hours." They then told me this was mentioned on the Users Manual and quoted "this product forecasts the next 12-24 hours of weather within a 30-50 km." This quotation is taken from the paragraph dealing with its weather forecasting function and clearly does not apply to min/max historical data.
Thinking they must have misunderstood the problem I pointed out that my query was with HISTORIC data on temperature and humidity whilst their explanation was based on FORECAST events concerning only the weather. Again I used the reply facility to maintain the thread. Nevertheless they have chosen to ignore this and I have heard nothing since.
My conclusion:- the instrument is unfit for purpose, the Customer "Service" section even more so!
I will try returning the instrument to get a refund.

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 EU HDT M - 5 Inch Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 countries) Plus 3 Years Free LIVE Services

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste money on Live Services, 5 Dec. 2013
When it worked the Live Services facility was excellent. The problem is, with me anyway, the programme is totally unreliable. I renewed it in July for around £50 on line, since when it has never worked on a car journey. When I connect it to the PC and the tomtom site for "updating" it works for a very short while. Then the device tells me in varying messages that Live Services is unavailable. One of these gives an error code and told me to "Please try again soon. If the problem doesn't go away please contact TomTom Customer Support. tomtom.com/support. Error Code 148"
I challenge anybody to contact TomTom Customer Support by this or any other means!
They have no means of direct contact with their Company and no postins/mention witin their web site of ANY error codes let alone No 148. Instead they point you only in the direction of support forums which are filled with queries from desparate TomTom customers in search of often elusive answers on a magnitude of problems. The people trying to provide such answers are other (uninformed) users trying to be helpful.
My £50 investment in "renewing" the Live Service is proving to be no more than a donation to the Companies bottom line profit. I could not afford to throw this money away and, seemingly, now can do nothing about it.
So my advice is at very least to avoid TomTom Live Services and preferably to avoid TomTom altogether because it is patently clear that they care nothing for actual after sales service.

Everbuild FOREVERWH Forever White Sealant - White
Everbuild FOREVERWH Forever White Sealant - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last ten years, 9 Oct. 2013
The guarantee as printed is that the product will last ten years without showing growth of black mould. Less than two years ago I did my shower tray with it but it got black and I have had to do it again already. Couldn't use the remainder of the (nearly full) Foreverwhite dispenser for two reasons, firstly because thereon it stated that it can't be used one year after opening and secondly, under the terms of the guarantee Printed on that container I was required to return either the original receipt OR the container. Not having the receipt I returned the container and asked for a refund (why not, they charge over the odds for the supposed benefits). After waiting a month without a response I wrote again. In both letters I confirmed that I had complied with their requirement to regularly clean the surface to remove soap build-up as is a requirement for a ten year stain free job. This second letter prompted a reply in which they claimed they hadn't received the returned item - for which I had obtained a certificate of posting which I did enclose in my second letter - and, worse, they said their guarantee required the production of the original sales receipt, obviously ignoring the other option within the terms of their own guarantee.
Happily they sent me a refund cheque at this stage but only under protest viz: a paragraph in an ungracious letter which stated "with this without prejudice payment (we) now consider this matter closed".
So, if you buy it keep the receipt. When it goes black send it back.
Incidentally they also referred to the fact that they had been unable to do any " in house testing of of the removed sealant with the reported mould discolouration" so include some with your complaint should you be as unlucky as me to get it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2014 2:00 PM BST

Magimix Stainless Steel Jug Kettle
Magimix Stainless Steel Jug Kettle

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 5 May 2013
To look at, this is a beautiful kettle. I thought so when I bought my first one which, unfortunately had to be exchanged by the vendor after only eight months when the thermostat/auto switch off became faulty. Nevertheless I thought this was a one off and, because it is a beautiful piece of equipment, I bought two more as gifts for my sons.
One of these was returned within three months when the lid stopped opening properly. The other has been in limited use for twelve months and is OK.
My replaced item has just been consigned to the bin one month outside the original three year (extended) warranty and, therefore, just over two years old itself. The reason for this is because the lid opening mechanism has failed. It consists of small plastic clips which have worn out and broken off. Additionally the kettle has recently stopped turning itself off as soon as the water reaches boiling point.
Conclusion:- there are two unacceptable and common faults in the design of this item which are well demonstrated in three of the four kettles I have experience of. One, the thermostat is weak and prone to failure and, two, the design of the lid hinge is even weaker and prone to failure. The latter fault renders the kettle dangerous because the only way to open the kettle without putting fingers in the steam line is by the quick release button which stops automatically opening the lid prior to total failure.
For the cost charged I expected much more in the way of operational quality and reliability but, maybe, the terms of the manufacturers guarantee should have put me on my guard. I would not buy another Magimix product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 9:08 AM BST

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself

3.0 out of 5 stars I would question the authenticity, 8 Dec. 2012
The author does relate her story in such a way that the reader gets a flavour of the terribly cruel way in which slaves were regarded generally and, more specifically, how they were treated by their owners. However I don't think her story is at all typical and in writing it she fails to capture the readers full sympathy. Partly this is because the story is not well constructed and you know the ending way before you get to it. Also, it is hard to believe how "easily" she managed to avoid recapture on countless near misses in the years following her escape. Add to this the many apparent discrepancies and omissions in the description of her day to day living and it is hard to believe what is written.
Most of the time the story is simply written, which is what you would expect of anyone with a minimal education, so an allowance is made for this but occasionally seemingly over intelligent grammar is used adding to the feeling of incredulity in the main character. I doubt the book would find a publisher now. An easy read it certainly is but not a particularly satisfying one.

TomTom XL 2 IQ 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
TomTom XL 2 IQ 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
Offered by TODO! TODO!

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - WHEN IT WORKS!, 29 Nov. 2012
I have had this satnav for about two and a half years but use it only infrequently when I drive a distance - about 7 times a year on average - so it cannot be classed as over worked. In all respects it was great to use until this summer when it "told" me during one such trip that an urgent update was required.
After carrying out this update the satnav unit would not function. I could turn it on but it did not progress past the "TomTom" page and it wouldn't turn off. Plotting a route, or accessing any part of the information stored therein, was impossible. After many email communications with TomTom service department, during which they advised me to return it to them for an (expensive) examination and repair if possible, they furnished me instead with a six step process, to in effect reboot it via my PC.
The process takes 2 to 3 hours to complete. The first time I tried the process the device was no better but (for some reason) I tried it a second time and it worked satisfactorily again, in fact the SatNav returned to its original impressive performance level.
However, I have routinely updated it twice since and each time the update has rendered the device useless in the same manner already described. Using the process emailed to me I have fixed it again but why is it necessary for me/anyone to spend 3 hours or more (today again needed two attempts so just under 6 hours in total) just to be able to use it in an "updated" fashion. Who has the time or inclination? I do it because I have paid for another year of live traffic/road services (unfortunately renewal was just before the onset of my problems) and TomTom refused either to allow this prepaid year to be transferred to a new TomTom device if I bought one (which worked out to be not much more expensive than they quoted me for the inspection/repair) nor to refund it.
I dont know how common this problem is with this model but, for me, it renders this a definite model to avoid. The technology is obviously flawed.

Nada the Lily (Wildside Fantasy)
Nada the Lily (Wildside Fantasy)
by H. Rider Haggard

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity about the mis-prints, 1 Jun. 2007
Nada the Lily is undoubtably a good read. The story is well told and the book is hard to put down. Like a previous reviewer I too first read it when I was a teenager and for a long time had wanted to read it again. It was not available in my local or regional library so I searched Amazon and was pleased to find it there.

The print version I bought was the "Wildside Adventure" one, published in 2001 by Wildside Press. Regretably this version is strewn with typographic errors which take some of the enjoyment off the read and, at times, I found them very frustrating. There are literally dozens of them throughout the book. Some change the intended meaning of a sentence and a few make it absolute nonsense. I thoroughly recommend the book but suggest that this version is not the one to buy.