Profile for veggie_beth@hotmail.com > Reviews

The Vegan Sourcebook
The Vegan Sourcebook
by Joanne Stepaniak

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book for a new vegan like myself!, 22 Jun. 2000
This review is from: The Vegan Sourcebook (Paperback)
Joanne Stepaniak is an interesting, informative author, passionate about her subject, and a GREAT recipe writer!
I am a new vegan and was sent her "UnCheese Cookbook" which is WONDERFUL! I decided to try "The Vegan Sourcebook" to get a bit of background on veganism. While there is an American bias, as that is where the statistics and information mostly comes from, it is none the less effective for that. The treatment of animals world-wide is horrific and makes me ashamed that I was part of it for so long.
This book is an encouragement to me and a help. I am SO glad I bought it, and hope to eventually collect all of Ms. Stepaniak's other titles as well!

366 Simply Delicious Dairy-Fre
366 Simply Delicious Dairy-Fre
by Robin Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars Dairy-Free, yes, but how do I replace things?, 22 Jun. 2000
I was very disappointed with this. Sure the recipes are all dairy free- but I was expecting "cheese" recipes to help me make things. Instead, the recipe for Pizza calls for "dairy-free mozarella". Well, yeah, I could have figured that one out for myself, but I can't get HOLD of dairy free mozarella in the north od Scotland.
I am better off with Joanne Stepaniak's "The UnCheese Cookbook" which is GREAT! She tells how to make the dairy free cheeses needed for "366 Simply Delicious..."
It is a good book and some of the recipes sound lovely, but it really put me off that I needed another cookbook to make some of the ingredients first!

How It All Vegan: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-free Diet
How It All Vegan: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-free Diet
by Tanya Barnard

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good and great fun, but..., 22 Jun. 2000
This is a super book. I am a new vegan and need all the help I can get. I have 2 small complaints, though. One is that the titles of the recipes are in such an large, "interesting" font that I have had trouble reading some of them. The second, and bigger problem is that many recipes contain honey or other bee products. As Vegans subsist only on plant-based products, and a bee is not a plant, I find this difficult. Having said that, I understand that the next edition of the book is going to be without these (wish I had known that before I bought it).
All in all it is a great read and I am glad to have it!