Profile for MR MATTHEW MARSHALL > Reviews

Content by MR MATTHEW MAR...

MR MATTHEW MARSHALL (Sevenoaks, Kent, UK)

LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive USB, 320GB
LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive USB, 320GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going!, 28 Oct. 2013
Used as an Apple Time Machine backup for about 3yrs backing up every week at least, it's never let me down and is still the best built and designed HDD I've ever seen or owned.

Upgraded to Time Capsule now so just formatted this, I'll be keeping this one for years to come I think.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera - (12.3MP, APS-C CMOS EXR) 2.8 inch LCD
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera - (12.3MP, APS-C CMOS EXR) 2.8 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome after all this time, 28 Oct. 2013
Really can't top many reviews of this other than to say I've owned it since purchasing here for a year and a half ago and it just keeps getting better and better.

Just had the most recent firmware update from Fuji installed which takes it from fairly slow and pedantic in factory spec, through the 2 or 3 other improved firmwares I've lived with, to another realm completely. AF was always the main bug-bear of these things, it was useable but not quick by any means. The new firmware is like night and day, AF is much more snappy, still not DSLR quick but way more effective and now a true joy to use even chasing my 3yr old son around for portraits.

IQ is outstanding, I've printed 18x12 recently and it is nothing short of superb. Coupled with incredible build quality and excellent tactility, it's definitely an all time great camera which keeps being supported by those excellent guys at Fuji in the form of regular software updates even after all this time and also since the release of the new model.

Struggle to comprehend spending £1k on these as that buys a lot of DSLR but if you can get one for a deal, do not hesitate.

The gap between this and the X100s is now very narrow indeed.

Fujifilm Lens Hood and Adapter Ring for FinePix X100
Fujifilm Lens Hood and Adapter Ring for FinePix X100

5.0 out of 5 stars First class from Fuji, 28 Oct. 2013
Can't compare to cheaper models, but it's the perfect accompaniment to the X100 or X100s. Obviously reduces chances of glare, but also importantly really finishes off the X100 camera in terms of it's feel and look.

Packaging and build quality are first rate, no complaints.

Canon KP-108IN Ink and Paper Set for Selphy CP Series Photo Printers
Canon KP-108IN Ink and Paper Set for Selphy CP Series Photo Printers
Offered by Tech Chill

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 28 Oct. 2013
It is what it is, and it's still a miracle that printers work this way in the home.

Exactly enough for 108 prints, it comes with 3 ink cartridges and 6 packs of 18 papers, you can only put 18 papers into the paper holder at once hence 6 packs.

Good quality and reasonably priced compared to labs. I'll be using this for some time to come.

Canon SELPHY CP900 Compact Photo Printer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Canon SELPHY CP900 Compact Photo Printer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb all round, 28 Oct. 2013
Excellent for the money, small, easy to use and cheap to run and hooks up easily with your wifi network for wireless printing, even from iPhone with the Canon app.

I'm no stranger to pushing pixels around processing software, feeding my computer with Nikon DSLR and Fuji X series digicam images and also 35mm film scans. Compared to the labs in town this is every bit as good on this format. Let's face it, with 6x4 aspect ratio (matches pretty well with DSLR 3x2 although not exactly strangely, even when cropped to exactly the pixel ratio in processing) you can't get much wrong as long as you feed it decent resolution and well exposed files. Even a modest modern DLSR packs enough punch to print way larger, I've printed 18x12 from a Fuji X100 recently from the lab and these still look excellent, even close it's very difficult to see artefacts.

As such, if you want a quick impressive print at this format, you cannot go wrong with this printer.

Full marks within it's chosen remit, I'll be printing on this to save a trip to the lab for a regular print for some time to come.

PS - yes the cartridge and paper have exactly enough for 36 prints from each pack, watching the paper pass through the printer and then back 4 times is still a modern miracle to me. No idea how it really works but it is as simple as they say it is.

Kingston Technology 8GB DDR3 1066MHz Apple Compatible Memory (for iMac units from 2009)
Offered by SiQuell.direkt

5.0 out of 5 stars More horsepower, 7 Feb. 2013
Just installed into my mid-2010 15inch MacBook Pro which had the standard 4GB as I believed I needed a bit of a speed boost, especially when processing photos in Aperture with a calendar, browser, mail and Twitter client all open together.

Installation is incredibly easy, a 10min job with a tiny screwdriver even for the technically allergic. Simply unbolt the back lid of your MBP and unclip both 2GB standard cards. Install these in their place, check it's working, then bolt the case back. Word of warning with the case, all screws other than 3 longer ones are really small and a bit tricky to relocate back into their holes perfectly flush. I rushed this once and got a couple of them slightly cross-threaded so they didn't sit flush but just take your time and you'll be fine. Mine are now all back in perfectly.

Immediate and noticeable speed boost straight after install, particularly when using heavy programs such as photo or video processing but also just moving around the system. Massively recommended to anyone with MBPs that might need a bit more horsepower under the lid.

Do check you can install, if it's not one of the latest MBPs then you should be fine, but the very new ones have RAM soldered to the motherboard which is not replaceable. I guess if you have a newer one though, it will fly as all Macs do when out of the box so you won't be looking on here in the first place.

Black Leather Ultra Slim Full Body Smart Case Cover for the new iPad / iPad 3 / iPad 2 with full Sleep / Wake compatibility !

1.0 out of 5 stars PVC, useless, misrepresented, buy something else please..., 24 Sept. 2012
The worst case I have ever had the misfortune of ordering, and I'd extend the definition of case to include supermarket carrier bags in this.

Leather? My Harris, it's 100% cheap Chinese low density plastic. Now i'm not the funniest guy in the online shopping fraternity, but I've never seen my wife laugh so hard when I showed her my £600 iPad encased in a £15 bin bag. That's not the best bit though...

Auto sleep/wake? Yes absolutely. If you like seeing your iPad wake when the case is opened, but when the case is then folded to the rear of the iPad (for instance when you'd like to use the iPad), the magnet is too strong and puts it straight back to sleep. My wife also saw this and I was ridiculed for the rest of the evening for such a schoolboy order. Nobody should be put in this position.

The Blue Peter case was removed immediately, placed back in it's packaging and returned for a refund.

Steve Jobs did not deliver such awesome products to us to have them wrapped in such incredibly inept products. I also question Amazon's vetting of their TP sellers, it's the second time in a month I've had my time wasted with dreadful products which are misrepresented in the advert.

I think it's pretty clear that if ordering an iPad case online, it's going to cost more than £15 for a good one, and if possible, get to a store to actually check them out beforehand. I'm off to John Lewis to have a look at a couple I like the look of.

Or I might just make my own from a Tesco carrier bag, some sticky tape and a magnet from the fridge.

Iomega 34938 1TB MiniMax FireWire 800/USB 2.0 3.5 inch External Hard Drive - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Currys!!!, 18 Sept. 2011
Just bought this from Sevenoaks Currys. Appears to be the perfect HDD for me as I will be using it underneath an Apple AirPort Extreme as a remote HDD. It's also a USB hub which is a great addition.

Opened this to find that it's scratched on the top, despite asking again and again whether this was a factory sealed unit from the numbskulls who work for Currys. After being well assured, I bought only to find it's clearly ex-display or used. It's going back tomorrow evening with a rousting from me and a promise never to buy anything from the dishonest company again.

Please take note and suggest Amazon, where I've never had a single issue!