Profile for D. D. SMAIL > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TP-LINK TL-SF1008D 8-Port 10/100 Mbps Mini Desktop Switch - White
TP-LINK TL-SF1008D 8-Port 10/100 Mbps Mini Desktop Switch - White
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars I particularly like the fact that it runs cool including the power ..., 13 Jan. 2017
Straight forward device that works well. I particularly like the fact that it runs cool including the power block. I've used other manufacturers versions of this unit which generated considerable heat. A good buy.

TomTom Start 25 5 inch Sat Nav with Western European Maps and Lifetime Map Updates

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard TomTom interface which I like and grown used to, 16 July 2016
Standard TomTom interface which I like and grown used to. Mine came with lifetime map updates and navigates well, as I would expect. What I do not like is the sensitivity of the touch screen. It's more like TAP HARD / THUMP screen. This is frustrating and there appears to be no menu adjustment to alter sensitivity of the "touch" Perhaps it's just the unit I received, but from now on, the touch test sensitivity will be something I carry out on any touch screen device. Finally, I would add that some people's skin properties work better on touch screens than others. I have never had this problem before and I've had plenty chance to try this as I live in a world of touch screens at home and work.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black
Offered by fotoSENSE_Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, 14 May 2016
TZ stands for Travel Zoom. I have several cameras similar in spec to the TZ70, but I bought it for one main reason - the electronic viewfinder! No other compacts I own have this, although carry a better overall spec. This feature became a must have especially when shooting outdoors on sunny days when bright sunlight blocks out the view in an LCD screen type viewfinder to the point of having to guess your framing. It's well built, has a long zoom (if that's important to you) and a full house of features you'd expect from a modern camera towards the higher end of its class. I shan't go through them all here - there's many online reviews of this camera.It does NOT have an LCD screen that tilts / swivels and is slightly larger than your tiny shirt pocket camera but is a good size and weight to hold firmly and will easily fit in a baggy pocket. Interestingly, The TZ70 has a 12 mega-pixel sensor, compared with the 18MP sensor on it's predecessor, the TZ60. This would appear a backward step from Panasonic but they claim that less mega pixels will respond better in lower light shooting and will also offer good images in good light as long as you don't want to print very large images. Popular opinion seems to be that this is a marketing ploy and more mega pixels still give better images. I am undecided on this, but not bothered as I will only use this for holiday snaps and get out the DSLR for important stuff.
The EVF resolution has been improved from the TZ60 and I think it's very good - it is my go to viewfinder. I also like very much the gyroscope guide available in the viewfinder to ensure your shots are level, especially those including a horizon that you don't want on the wonk! The battery charges onboard the camera, but no doubt a separate charger could be bought if you want to use one battery and have another on charge. Again, it's not a big deal for me as long as a charge will last a day of normal holiday snapping which it has easily done for me. The TZ70 has now been superseded by the TZ80 which has even more features that I don't want, like 4K. If you do buy this camera, you'll be looking for a case and after much research, I purchased the Lowepro Apex 30 soft case which is a great fit in my opinion and has a Velcro belt loop and carry strap. I bought my camera refurbished from Panasonic at a good price, but even at full price, it's a great deal and I recommend it. No real negatives to comment on - it'll never match up to the sheer quality of a DSLR, but it's not meant to!

NETGEAR GS208-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch
NETGEAR GS208-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly reccomended, 4 Mar. 2016
This was my first switch bought for a simple cabled home network. After lots of research, I decided this was the one to get. I have no regrets. I like that all the ports including power are at the rear of the device helping to keep cables tidy. The lights on the front flash quite brightly (in green only) to show activity. My switch currently supports 5 devices, all of which perform as expected through the switch. My only small niggle is that more cables attached to the device causes it to get pulled out of position and easily float around on a desktop or shelf. Some light fixing may be needed to hold it in place if that's important to you. The unit comes with a power adaptor. The switch has remained cool for me when driven quite hard.
All in all, a great buy and if I remember correctly, 30 days free support not that you'll need it as setup and operation is so simple.
Highly reccomended

Humax HDR-1800T 320GB Freeview Receiver with HD Recorder
Humax HDR-1800T 320GB Freeview Receiver with HD Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Update software to version 1.01.16 (or the latest version), 14 Feb. 2016
I bought a refurbished version direct from the manufacturer. I've had several Humax PVRs over the years and been overall been very pleased. I read all the other reviews on this device and any faults have by and large been fixed with software updates from Humax. I sympathise with those who bought this product with earlier versions of the software as it looks like there was some "fixes" required. The refurbished unit I purchased didn't have the latest version, but it was simple enough to get it from Humax support pages and follow the update instructions which involves putting the updated software on a USB stick and from there into the device. Full instructions on the Humax support pages. The latest version, I think, is 1.01.16 and everything worked as expected (I didn't attempt to use the device before the update) This product is at the lower end of the range but it's well specified and recordings, for me at least, have been reliable and high quality, especially the high definition programmes. There is only one LED display on the front of the unit that shows red or blue. Red when recording or standby and blue when item is on (but not recording) No clock or channel display on the front panel. Finally, I repeat, if you do buy this, check what version software it has shown in menu (under "System") and if lower than 1.01.16 then update it straight away as a first port of call. Further updates may follow. PS Updates can also be performed "OTA" (over the air) but only when they are broadcast.I highly recommend this PVR.

Kinivo Premium High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and UK plug - supports 3D, 1080p (301BN - 3 Port)
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars I like in particular that all HDMI ports in and out ..., 14 Feb. 2016
High quality, build and performance. I like in particular that all HDMI ports in and out are on the rear of the device, helping to keep cables tidy. The power input is on the side. As already mentioned in other reviews, if your TV has only one HDMI port and you wish to connect a PVR to the device then there is a chance that the PVR will activate auto switching when it wakens up to perform a scheduled recording. This might interrupt whatever else is being currently watched through the device. I'm lucky to have a TV with two HDMI ports so I can give my PVR one to itself.
All in all, a fine unit and I strongly recommend it.

Masterplug BG Nexus TWE7 7 Day Programmable Security Electronic Wall Timer Switch
Offered by MCD Electrical - Established 1993

5.0 out of 5 stars ... replace similar item and it works very well and easy to fit in my single porch light set-up, 15 Dec. 2015
Bought to replace similar item and it works very well and easy to fit in my single porch light set-up. I may have killed my previous unit by using a fluorescent bulb which I missed in the instructions. This unit specifies the same so stay clear of those bulbs.

Friedland Intruder HW0 Wirefree Dummy Siren
Friedland Intruder HW0 Wirefree Dummy Siren

2.0 out of 5 stars The batteries were still in good shape, but the internal circuitry had failed possibly ..., 24 Oct. 2015
It looks the part for sure and may well have deterred potential burglers, but after three years of stable use on the original batteries, I noticed that one of the LEDs stayed on constantly. I thought this may be a sign that the batteries needed changing. I was wrong. The batteries were still in good shape, but the internal circuitry had failed possibly due to weatherproofing problems. I've read other similar reports. I dare say I could buy a flashing LED kit from eBay and lash up something to fix it, but is it worth the hassle? I shall probably buy another and hope manufacture and design has improved over time. Seems a shame that the effect of the unit has been lowered by the failure of a 5p printed circuit board or the unit's inability to protect it properly from the weather.

Signstek Auto Focus Ef-nex Ef-emount Lens Mount Adapter Ring for Canon Lens to Sony Full Frame
Offered by Victory Cyber Store

4.0 out of 5 stars it works fine with my collection of Canon lenses, 24 April 2015
I was unclear whether this was for full frame sensor or APS-C sensor cameras. Some reviews mentioned that there was different versions for the different size sensors. Without a clear cut answer to this, I bought one for my Sony A5100 (APS-C sensor) I needn't have worried, it works fine with my collection of Canon lenses. Autofocus is a bit slow and clunky as everyone says but it usually gets there in 3 or 4 seconds but sometimes misses totally and have to retry. Canon STM focusing lenses do not appear to autofocus so manual focussing is required which is no problem on the A5100 with focus peaking and image magnification features on the camera. Aperture control worked on all my lenses. Build quality seems good although it doesn't come with caps or a pouch - no big deal though. This device allows use of Canon lenses (well, my small collection) and anything that offers such is a definite plus albeit that not all functions work as a native Sony lens (of course!) I would recommend this product. It's widely compared to the much more costly Metabones offering but so much more affordable. I've used Metabones products on a professional level and found them excellent, but for home use where quick autofocus is not needed, it's great.

Edit: Since writing this review earlier today, I received a reply from the manufacturer (Commlite) in reply to my query about sensor compatibility and they state that this adapter is compatible with both APS-C and full frame sensors.

Sony ILCE5100L Compact System Camera with 16-50 Lens (24.3 MP, 180 Degrees Tiltable LCD, Fast Hybrid Auto Focus, Noise Reduction Feature, Wi-Fi and NFC) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars I ended up buying this and I'm pleased I did, 24 April 2015
After researching the A5100's smaller brother (A5000) I ended up buying this and I'm pleased I did. This camera filled a hole between a tiny pocket Canon IXUS compact and a Canon 600D DSLR with all the bulky and weighty lenses and other accessories. For me, the 5100 fits the bill and reviews, although very subjective, mainly agree that this is a good camera. My main slight grumble is that pictures tend to be a little unsharp, although again, this is subjective and can easily be altered in software afterwards to taste. Picture and colour clarity are very good and with many menu options and effects to play around with, this could suit a beginner in auto mode to a bit more advanced. The included 16-50 lens is OK, but I have other Canon lenses which I am able to use by way of a converter which works well so I'm not buying another set a lenses. I found getting a bag for the A5100 a struggle but I used the excellent GEM bags and bought the Dragon 10 which is a good fit for the camera and kit lens. All in all, this camera works very well for me and although it has no viewfinder or hot-shoe mount, no doubt will see me use the DSLR less and less although the 5100 does not quite match the pure quality and punch from the 600D, it's very close and the small form factor is such an advantage. Finally, it seems as though the built in flash has to be popped up manually for it to work, even in auto mode, which might catch some folk out to begin with. One review I found very detailed and accurate can be found at http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A5100/

Page: 1 | 2 | 3