Profile for J. Hutcheon > Reviews

All the Light We Cannot See
All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Oct. 2016
Absolutely fantastic book. I would recommend it to everyone.

Ideal Textiles 16x16 Cushion Inner Pad
Ideal Textiles 16x16 Cushion Inner Pad
Offered by Ideal Textiles

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Oct. 2016
Just what I wanted - and the right size.

Geisha: The Remarkable Truth Behind the Fiction: The Secret History of a Vanishing World
by Lesley Downer

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of history in this book which I found ..., 29 Oct. 2016
A lot of history in this book which I found interesting as well as details written in a very authoritative way.

VonShef Digital Induction Hob 2000W Electric Cooking Hob in Black
VonShef Digital Induction Hob 2000W Electric Cooking Hob in Black
Offered by DOMU UK

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very smart looking product which works very well so far, 29 Oct. 2016
This is a very smart looking product which works very well so far. Not exactly silent as one can hear the fan until it stops. I was surprised at how reasonably priced it was.

Best Anti Ageing Face Serum - 15% Botanical Hyaluronic Acid - Plumps, Hydrates & Smooths - Rosewater, Rose Absolute, Rosehip Seed Oil, Glycolic Acid - 2 in 1 Serum & Toner. 98% Natural, 80% Organic
Offered by Baie Botanique

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to use., 16 July 2016
I haven't got to the end of my supply yet but it seems to do what it says on the tin. I do use other products in conjunction however and I am pretty pleased with my ageing face. The product smells wonderful, I have to say.

Frozen Anna's Make-up Bag
Frozen Anna's Make-up Bag
Offered by Simply 4 U

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 10 Dec. 2014
very cheap looking and with stuff inside I was reluctant to give a child. Wish I hadn't bought it.

Beaded Box Clutch Bag Hard Case Designer New Party Bridal Evening Handbag (Black Clutch Bag)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very nice little bag, 10 Dec. 2014
This is a very nice little bag, quite small, neat and sturdy but it was very difficult to open. The catch was too tight for my fingers. Improved however when I took a pliers to it with no ill effects.

Fire and Rain
Fire and Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainmaking?, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Fire and Rain (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book by this author that I have read and as I did so I ticked my mental boxes as I went. Authentic setting, a real world with real, recognisable characters,a dramatic start plunging the reader straight into the story. The confidence rating was high and by this I mean I knew I was in the hands of a natural storyteller who would not disappoint. However, I baulked at the rainmaking. I know this is fiction but I do think that if a writer is going to introduce a scientific concept like this into a realistic novel then it has to be pretty convincing. The reader does not need too many technical details but the idea has to be at least possible. Otherwise too much has to be sketchy and taken on trust and that can undermine the story. I know not many will agree with me. It's like reading a real-life story and suddenly a totally unbelievable goblin pops up. That said I was totally drawn into the lives of these characters and the book sustained me through a long and boring sea journey. I will certainly try more by this author.

Hair of the Cat - Hook, Line and Sucker!
Hair of the Cat - Hook, Line and Sucker!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stories, 9 Sept. 2011
These two stories are hardly enough to be called a book, I feel, as they were over before I hardly got started. I enjoyed the second (Hook Line and Sucker) the most because it had a better plot, story structure and flowed better. It was stylistically so different it could even have been written by a different person. The first story was not so good.

Century Acres
Century Acres

3.0 out of 5 stars An opportunity missed, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Century Acres (Kindle Edition)
I was disappointed that this book, although well written, was not longer. There was an opportunity missed to develop the story in so many directions and the idea of the story is a good one. There was no time to develop the characters nor the growth of their relationship. I would have liked to know more about the care Home as it is central to the plot. What happens after could be really interesting but we are told only the bare minimum. Also I suspect that the onset of Alzheimers is more than just memory loss. Hard to read about but it could be poignant and revealing.

Page: 1 | 2