Profile for D'Averque > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Swords of El Cid
Swords of El Cid

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the Film, you'll love this!, 20 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Swords of El Cid (Kindle Edition)
El Cid is one of my favourite films. The sight of Charleton Heston charging through his Enemies outside Valencia, must be one of the most evocative moments in Movie history.
But to actually find documented detail of what (probably) happened has to date been difficult. El Cid is up there with Arthur and Robin Hood.
So along comes Tom Hill with this wonderfully detailed account of the turmoil in 11th Century Spain and the Man who is going to make all the difference.
I liked the style that the narrative is carried along by his most trusted Captain 'Norse' , who with his friends get up to some high jinx themselves. The text relating to The Cid's campaigns

Red Indian: The Early Years
Red Indian: The Early Years

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and Tragic, 24 Oct. 2016
I really became immersed in the tale of the fortunes of the Beothuk. The book brings to life the terrible consequences of misunderstanding and ignorance, in this case the end of a noble Race.
It is difficult to enthuse about this book, as it charts the annihilation of the Tribe, but It was over quickly, and enough was said. My only comment would be that I would have felt more comfortable with it if it had been two books. A documentary and a story, mixing the two didn't trivialise events but I wanted to enjoy the culture and life of the Beothuk without the desperation of their demise.
A very worthy Tale, simply and effectively told

The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book One
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book One

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 14 Oct. 2016
I'm afraid I only got a third of the way through and just couldn't be bothered anymore.
Seemed there were some good ideas, not particularly original, but a fair mix. The style was OK but not appealing......just so pedestrian and vanilla, nothing to urge me on.
I think that the problem is that Mr Butcher has not done hardly anything to create his fantasy world. There was just not enough substance, so it wasn't strange or fascinating. Whimsical maybe but trite and tedious way which made it not arcane in any way.
I really did try, but think of Dune, or Middle Earth or Westeros. That is the foundation level you have to create to turn preposterous into fantastic.

Leofric: Sword of the Angles
Leofric: Sword of the Angles

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected delight, 28 July 2016
Started a bit slowly, then couldn't put it down. Great characters and story. Excellent simple but stimulating narrative.
If you like Giles Kristains stuff this is very worthy indeed.

Please, please a sequel must be written. Leofric must get his revenge and find his woman!

The Revenant: The bestselling book that inspired the award-winning movie
The Revenant: The bestselling book that inspired the award-winning movie

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Survival Adventure, 28 Jun. 2016
Michael Punke's book is an excellent gripping story of the American Frontiersman's life in the wilderness.

The description of his mutilation, abandonment, survival and quest for revenge, makes for a very compelling and exciting read.

I enjoyed it immensely, and can only say that I shall seek to see the film soonest, hoping that it will be as captivating as this book.

Wars of the Roses: Bloodline: Book 3
Wars of the Roses: Bloodline: Book 3

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, 10 Jun. 2016
I've been looking forward to reading this third volume for a while. I am no historian, so have enjoyed this book without being worried or hampered about accuracy.
The figures of Edward and Warwick are superbly done, and their mercurial relationship fascinated me. So yes I enjoyed it
HOWEVER, I must say that I was racing through the early chapters, eager to get to Towton! I was through it before I realised!

Ww
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2016 7:01 PM BST

DAC Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink to Analog Converter Left/Right RCA Audio Adapter for PS3 XBox 360 HDTV Blu RAY DVD Sky HD TV Box with UK Plug Adapter
Offered by Rhinocoeu

2.0 out of 5 stars Understand the Technical aspects before you buy, 28 July 2015
Good product, but beware, will not work with Dolby transmissions. Support from supplyer is very polite but you cannot get to speak with anyone to get technical help. Very frustrating, I gave up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2015 9:10 AM BST

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange, different and partially wonderful, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Kindle Edition)
I loved the bits about Mabel the Goshawk. There were other bits about Helen's grieving after her Dad, I felt most empathetic towards. Her explanation of his passions for Photography and aeroplanes was most interesting.

T.H. White's "Once and Future King", has to be in my top twenty all-time favourite books, BUT his Goshawk did not captivate me. His life and circumstances did not interest me, and I started skipping more and more.

So then I was skipping just to the bits where Mabel was hunting.

So a fleeting and incomplete joy for me then. But some bits absolutely rivetting, and made me do a lot of extra reading on hawks.......can't be bad then!

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
The Narrow Road to the Deep North

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 Mar. 2015
This book is beautiful but most harrowing. It is also very humbling as you absorb not only the unbelievable cruelty and suffering, but also the soaring passion of illicit love.

I've read a few unfavourable reviews of this book. To these people I can only say that I am sorry that you find it tedious, that you find it banal and cliched. I don't understand how anyone could actively ignore the emotive content and heroism in these pages, and say they were bored. Sad indeed.

Great sacrifice, great honour, and great privilege to read about it.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Although Cheap, bad quality., 2 Feb. 2015
Got this watch strap for my Rectangular Citizen Ecodrive. I was able to switch the original buckle (with the Ecodrive Logo) replacing the cheap chrome one on this new one. Incidentally the chrome buckle was marked on the plating as received. The Leather is OK, but the stitching around the edge of the strap was starting to come undone, so had to Superglue it to stop it running. For the price couldn't be bothered to complain. Bought a similar item from ALDI about a year ago which was perfect in every way for about the same price, and will get another when they resock. This one will be binned soonest. Quality naff, could have been OK if supplier had taken the time to reject this one before sending to me with its obvious faults. Not Impressed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4