Profile for Lynda J. Christian > Reviews

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim: Official Game Guide
Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim: Official Game Guide
by David S. J. Hodgson

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality book packed with essential info and tips to get the best out of the game, 25 Jan. 2013
Comprehensive, easy to read, easy to follow. Gives strong tips (necessary for someone who needs help). Doesn't spoil the game. Worth consulting prior to beginning the game as it gives tips on character traits which may influence your choice of character.

A lovely book to use, beautifully illustrated and printed. Gives a pull out map in the back but sadly it has to be detached from the book to use it. Good quality printing on good quality paper.

No Labour, No Battle: Military Labour during the First World War: The Labour Corps in the First World War
by John Starling

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended for the dedicated historian and also a good read., 25 Jan. 2013
This book has two authors John Starling and Ivor Lee and in the acknowledgements it states that it is the work of 'two friends working on a shared mutual interest'. The book has a list of abbreviations, invaluable for people such as myself who have no military knowledge. It was published by Spellmount in 2009 and is dedicated to 41790 Private Samuel Slinger and all the other personnel of the British, Dominion nd Foreign Labour units.

The information is divided into six sections covering Home Service; France and Flanders; Other Theatres [of war]; British and Dominion Units; South African Native Labour Corps; Foreign Labour Units and the final section Research. The book also has six appendices some maps, a bibliography and an index. Each is meticulously detailed with the information being taken from war diaries and research on the political and military environment, contemporary publications and service records.

For those researching an ancestor the Research section is invaluable both in supplying answers and/or directing to further possible information. It was a surprise to me that it was possible to deduce approximately when a man joined the Labour Corps by his regimental number but that means that the number he had in his original unit was superseded.

There is a list of company formations in the Labour Corps, Medals and Honours awarded to personnel - the information is just so comprehensive.

My uncle's birth certificate showed my grandfather's occupation as 'Labour Corps, Liverpool Docks' and during my research I was informed that the Labour Corps did not operate on the Docks as they had their own labour. This book covers the formation of the Liverpool Dock Battalion, its reason for its creation, the problems it solved (and caused) and its disbandment. For this reason alone I have found the book well worth buying.

Although it is packed with facts, it is intensely readable, it brings the period to life and brings WW1 into context with the general population.

5.0 out of 5 stars My laptop replacement, 25 Jan. 2013
This is fast becoming my new technological 'best friend'. I love it! Everything positive that has been said about it I agree with - the screen is superb. My photographs look really professional, emails are easily read and more importantly, easily written. The size suits me perfectly and for me the battery life is fine although I do have to top it up every other day - an indication of how much I am using it!
Because I am away from home regularly for long periods (in the UK) I use my laptop with a dongle; by taking my Kindle I can replace my laptop and save myself some luggage into the bargain! By using my phone as a hot spot (a suggestion made by several reviewers) I can use my Kindle as I did my laptop. It is much easier to type on my Kindle in response to emails than on my phone.
To use your phone as a 'hot spot' it is worth contacting your mobile service supplier with regard to the amount of time available under their 'fair use' policy and costs thereafter. Mine was a generous 38 hours but it can be eaten up quickly if you watch movies and my tip is to make sure you turn off your 'hot spot' facility once you have no more need for it.
Some have commented on the adverts but I don't find them annoying as they only appear when I first put my Kindle on or it wakes up. I have downloaded an app from Brainium for the game of 'Freecell' and it has brought its own ads, again not too annoying as they are easily discarded.
I also downloaded the app from Ancestry - no ads there.
To sum up, I just love my Kindle. For those complaining about the lack of internet access - look at the price of the Kindle and the superb facilities it provides for that price. There is no difference in using a laptop and dongle (a common combination with the people I work with) or a Kindle and i phone hot spot.
My budget would not stretch to the 32GB but thus far I am unable to envisage it becoming a problem for me as the opportunity to Cloud store is part of the package.

Amazon Kindle Fire HD Standing Leather Case (2nd Generation - 2012 release), Royal Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection, 25 Jan. 2013
This fits my kindle very snugly, perfectly just as it should do. I have every confidence in its ability to protect my kindle. Several people have said that it occasionally falls flat on very shiny surfaces, I have had this happen once and it was because I had propped it up too shallowly. The range of colours available is a huge bonus and there must be sufficient choice to keep everyone happy. That the kindle 'sleeps' when closed is great as on return, you are back where you were.
I was a little concerned regarding the sound but should not have worried as the case has vents over the speakers and the sound is just as great in or out of the case.

Duronic Ecohand Wind-Up, Rechargeable AM\FM Radio with flashlight
Duronic Ecohand Wind-Up, Rechargeable AM\FM Radio with flashlight
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be regarded as essential, 14 Jan. 2013
Bought for my brother who really loves it. I have seen it in action and it appears to work extremely well. The one feature which I could have done with myself is the ability to charge your mobile phone from it. This feature would have saved me considerable time recently after I became lost in fog after my mobile battery died on me. An excellent piece of kit which I shall be purchasing myself ASAP.

3-Year Kindle Fire HD (Previous Generation) Protection Plan with Accident & Theft Cover by SquareTrade, UK customers only

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully will never be needed., 14 Jan. 2013
The only reason for the 4 stars is that I cannot review something I have not yet needed to use. Reading the document it appears to cover most eventualities. This is one purchase I really don't want to have to use!

FreeCell
FreeCell

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: FreeCell (App)
Downloaded this for my Kindle Fire HD. This is a great game which I had been unable to find. It is especially nice to have a range of achievements to try for.

Ancestry
Ancestry

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant addition to my Kindle Fire HD, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
This is an essential app for being able to use the Ancestry site on my Kindle Fire HD. It really works well allowing input of information as well as just viewing it.

SILICONE BAKING MAT 40.5 X 28.5cm IN BLUE
SILICONE BAKING MAT 40.5 X 28.5cm IN BLUE
Offered by Super Utensil Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential in the kitchen, 14 Jan. 2013
This was purchased at the request of a friend and she is delighted with it. Of sensible dimensions not to large or too small.

KitchenCraft Manual Glass Lemon Squeezer / Citrus Juicer, 14.5 cm (5.5")
KitchenCraft Manual Glass Lemon Squeezer / Citrus Juicer, 14.5 cm (5.5")
Offered by THE COOKSHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, 14 Jan. 2013
This was purchased by me at the request of a friend who wanted one. My mother had one of these many years ago and this new one compares very favourably to it. Smooth, no sharp edges and does the job well. I had also expected to pay lots for it so was very happy with the price.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13