Profile for Alexander Bryce > Reviews

Content by Alexander Bryce
Top Reviewer Ranking: 207

Alexander Bryce (Scotland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Electric Hedge Trimmer - 600w 62cm length with 20mm blade gap
Electric Hedge Trimmer - 600w 62cm length with 20mm blade gap
Offered by Garden Secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TOOL AT A GREAT PRICE, 25 May 2015
My last hedge trimmer died of old age after years of loyal service so I was apprehensively hoping to replace it with one as good. I am happy to say that this Hecht 62 cms is as good if not better. Fractionally longer than my old one , lighter with a fast efficient cutting action it is a robust tool at a very keen price.
A small point it comes with about a meter of cable, presumably for some obscure safety requirement, so be sure to have a long enough extension cable to reach all areas you wish to work.

The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
by Irvine Welsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you like, 25 May 2015
If you like reading about rough lesbian sex then this is for you
If you like reading about heterosexual sex then this is for you
If you are obsessive about your body shape then this is for you
If you like the use of the F word as an adjective, noun, verb,adverb or simple as an expletive then this is for you
If you are interested in the social strata in Miami then this is for you
If you like to read about believable characters then give this one a miss
If you like a really good story line then buy something else
If you like a strong ending then give this one a miss

Our Souls at Night
Our Souls at Night
by Kent Haruf

5.0 out of 5 stars WISH I COULD GIVE IT SIX, 16 May 2015
This review is from: Our Souls at Night (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have I read a more beautifully written book in recent years? An emphatic NO.
We meet an elderly widow and widower living nearby in Kent Haruf's beloved small town, Holt, Colorado. Getting by, but not having much fun and finding the nights long and lonely until Addie drops by and makes a bold suggestion to Louis. Bold to the point of shocking as they hardly know each other . Over the course of the book they get to know all about each other's lives through long revealing conversations. They have both had triumphs as well as episodes to be ashamed of. In short they have lived normal outwardly respectable lives.The local tongues are flapping like a flag in a force nine gale. After a while they don't give a dam as their misunderstood relationship becomes public knowledge. Louis' daughter is embarrassed , but when pointed out that her own life is hardly a model of conformity, she accepts her father's new happiness. She comes out with the best put down I have ever read to a "friend" wishing to dish the dirt on her dad. Too rude to include here. Addie's son is a different matter altogether who exhibits all the signs of a mean spirited , failure as he deliberately fails to understand her relationship with Louis and their relationship with his young son.
Almost entirely a book of amusing , compassionate, believable dialogue with a little narrative when absolutely necessary.
At one hundred and eighty pages , my only complaint is that it ended too soon.
As a crusty old septegenarian I can usually controll my emotions , but the ending had me struggling to hold back the tears.
Oh how I will miss the writings of Kent Haruf.

3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator
3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator

5.0 out of 5 stars ITS A WONDER, 15 May 2015
I look a bit like Darth Vadar and scare the kids , but who cares this does the job. Wearing glasses I find that a lot of masks steam them up due to exhaled breath escaping upwards onto the lenses. A nuisance and often dangerous as many tasks require good clear vision. The exhale , one way escape valve solves this very real problem. I have now used it for several tasks generating dust and microbes e.g. sanding plasterwork and strimming grass. The 3M mask protected my nose and mouth preventing anything entering my breathing system. As an acute Hay Fever sufferer many garden tasks were a problem inducing streaming eyes, streaming nose and persistent cough. Since getting the mask I have cut and strimmed grass, power cut a hedge and so far no symptoms .
After a few adjustments it fastened securely with 2 straps ; the rubber seal is snug , but not painful , it does not constrict breathing and most of all it filters all the bad stuff.
Can't believe the low cost for such a quality protection.

American Pie
American Pie

5.0 out of 5 stars BUDDY WOULD LOVE IT, 8 May 2015
This review is from: American Pie (Audio CD)
I have almost worn out the grooves on my old vynal copy so thought £5.49 a great price to replace it on CD format.. The quality is naturally so much better than my old LP bringing out the subtlety of Don McLean's voice.
The first track , tribute to the late great Buddy Holly , American Pie is simply amazing. Play the game of working out the hidden references or give up and Google it before you go crazy. When McLean was asked what the song meant he simply replied " it means I don't need to work no more". Yes it will be played forever. There is also his other big hit Vincent a truly beautiful, tender song. In addition there are several other subtle numbers like Winter Wood , Empty Chairs to name but two, but really there are no make weight songs on this album they are all good and all worth a listen . May I suggest that you get a copy and enjoy one of the all time great albums from a master singer, song writer, performer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 10:47 AM BST

Pest-Stop PSIR-SH2 Small House Pest Repeller - White
Pest-Stop PSIR-SH2 Small House Pest Repeller - White

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS, 7 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is still early days, but so far so good. I live out in the country and field mice are regular , uninvited house guests. My garage is their favoret hang out where they nibble on anything and every thing. I left some bread crumbs and a little cheese as bate 3 nights ago , plugged in the pest repeller and I am happy to say thet the bate remains untouched. Normally it would have been taken during the first night. While not perhaps the most scientific experiment , I conclude that this device works. I shall now order a further repeller for my house.
For most homes I think 2 devices will be needed for maximum coverage.

Ps A week later and still no sign of mice.

Philips HR1867/21 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt - Brushed Aluminium

5.0 out of 5 stars DOES A GREAT JOB, 29 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had a few juicers over the tears , each better than the one before. This generation of Phillips juicers is no exception. It looks good on the work surface , is compact , given what it does fairly quiet and is easier and quicker to clean. In the morning rush quick cleaning is an important factor , but the best reason for buying this one is that it squeezes the heck out of fruit and veg. I am definately getting more juice than with my previous juicers.
A bit expensive at over a hundred quid , but in my opinion worth every pound.

I'm Travelling Alone
I'm Travelling Alone
by Samuel Bjork

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST IN A LONG TIME, 26 April 2015
This review is from: I'm Travelling Alone (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Look out Jo Nesbo there is a new kid on the block by the name of Samuel Bjork and he can write. This debut novel drew me in from the first chapter and held me to the last page. A murdered child is found with the label " I'm Travelling Alone" around its neck. Soon there is another. The hero of the piece, Mia Kruger abandons her self imposed exile and date with death by suicide to return to the murder squad one last time. Together with her old mate and sponsor Holger Munch they apply their considerable intellects and experience to the case. I think we will meet them again in future work by Mr. Bjork. I certainly hope so.
This is not a simple who dunnit , police thriller. It is more than thet. The main characters good and bad are well drawn and described in depth and detail so that one becomes involved in there lives not just in relation to the action. There are two main interrelated stories plus some other issues concerning the main characters running parallel for most of the book and coming together in a hectic climax.
One of the finest books I have read in a long time. Get in there before everyone knows about Samuel Bjorn.
An unbelievably good start to , I am sure , a long and successful writing career.

Second Chance Titleist Pro V1 Lake Golf Balls - 12 Pack
Second Chance Titleist Pro V1 Lake Golf Balls - 12 Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 12, 24 April 2015
I hold the belief that a new ball is only new until the first shot so I grudge paying the full, very expensive price for quality new balls. I like Pro V1 balls, but don't like the prohibitive cost hence my order of a dozen " experienced " Provies. I am pleased with the condition of all but 2 balls which are scuffed through the outer skin and relegated immediately to the practice bag. The other 10 look good as new and therefor overall this has been a good buy.

Toy Story Battlesaurs Buzz
Toy Story Battlesaurs Buzz

5.0 out of 5 stars A FINE TOY, 17 April 2015
This review is from: Toy Story Battlesaurs Buzz (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Realistic" , colourful model with moving parts and detachable accessories. One of a set of six of the same "armour" theme.
My four year old grandson loves it and will soon be hoping for the others in this set.
A little smaller , at about six inches , than I expected, but this doesn't seem to matter.
A fine safe toy.