Profile for Chris Cooke > Reviews

Content by Chris Cooke

Chris Cooke "Large Chris" (UK)

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 EU HDT M - 5 Inch Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 countries) Plus 3 Years Free LIVE Services

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty average but average wins, 10 Dec. 2013
Did a fair bit of research before plumping for this one. I'm giving it 4 stars but 3 stars was tempting for the reasons given later. My priority is accurate traffic reports automatically giving the quickest routing.
I've used it for 12 hours now, town and country, and I'm fairly convinced this is as good a solution as is currently available. I know the best Garmins shade this one in the reviews, but it does seem that they don't have the traffic 'knowledge' ie knowing the best routes for different times of day, that TomTom has. Add to that 3 years live services (speed cameras, map updates, and traffic) plus European maps included this seems like a good deal.
So onto the problems:
1) Software slightly flakey as others have said, 2 device crashes so far in 10 hours. Resets pretty quickly but why can't it be sorted.
2) Slightly less convinced in the City than on the main roads. Device took me through a lot of back roads but was a bit over optimistic when it came to traffic lights, hence I lost time against the ETA. Might have been unlucky on the one main trip I tried it out with.
3) Website, might be me, but not particularly obvious how to link the device and get map updates. Seems like the TomTom website has issues.
4) Display. Although it is a nice clear screen, it looks almost identical to every other average satnav from the last ten years. Very basic functional graphics, junctions pretty good but generic. Traffic bar down the right hand side does seem good and functional though.
5) Obsession with contra flows, roadworks. I appreciate tomtom want to give as much detail as possible with the live services, but I had too many contra flows reported where they didn't exist, problem with this is it removes other nav information until it is almost too late to make the turn.
6) lack of wow.... It clips to the windscreen very nicely, but so it should, apart from that I can't think of anything you would look at and think how original, wow, modern technology eh, what will they think of next.
7) location search. Depends what you are looking, but if you haven't stored something as a favourite it takes a while to get started on your route.

As I say, I wanted to give it 3 stars, but that would unfairly put it below the Garmins units, when I do believe this is going to give more accurate ETAs and better diversions around problems. For people doing a lot of mileage (I do 30k a year) I think this is the best all round value option currently available.

Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS
Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS

3.0 out of 5 stars Significant flaws, 22 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I spent a fair bit of time over choosing the Sonocaddie, my first foray into golf gps systems.

Lots of positive points about the Sonocaddie, as mentioned in the other reviews, particularly the cheap or, for the UK courses, free subscription.

But I just need to redress the balance slightly by highlighting some negatives that aren't obvious from the product description or the reviews:

1) The course are mapped only from satellite photos, and only tend to include bunkers and some (not all) water hazards. The hole overviews are very generic, and the examples I've seen make no mention of out of bounds, aiming points, layup distances etc.
A particularly bad example of this was playing the well known Oxfordshire Course recently. The feature hole is the par 5 number 17, with a big fairway to the right of a huge lake, and a smaller fairway as an option to go left. Yet on the hole overview no mention is made of the left fairway at all.
2) Accuracy - Claims about 7 to 10 yards, and from my laser measurements on level ground (slope makes a difference) I would say this is true, the error measurement gets up to (but not more than) 10 yards.
Some reviews elesewhere claim gps is within 3 yards accuracy, so for the better golfer I would maybe suggest checking out (maybe borrow a mates system) some other devices and see if they can improve on this accuracy figure.
3) 3D - For some reason the course overviews are described as 3D. In no sense is this the case. The pictures are completely 2D.
4) Specific measurement. I had hoped it would be possible to position crosshairs on the screen to identify distances to specific targets, particularly useful for layups. No, you can't.
5) Editing. To be really useful and reliable you need to edit the courses - pretty easy - as you walk round them, adding landmarks etc. Yet I would have thought the PC software would enable you to do a more comprehensive editing job at home with some 'painting' options to add plantations, no go areas, buildings etc. But no, you can't. You can't even draw a new course and add it from the pc. The Sonocaddie online site seems very good so I hope this functionality could be added in the future.
Of course this need to check and add features, even to well known courses, limits the usefulness the first time you play a new course.

Conclusion: My prejudice about gps before buying this system was that it was great for holiday golf, but not accurate enough for serious play. I would tend to stick by this assessment. I enjoy using the Sonocaddie, and I will carry on doing so, but I will always carry a laser as well for accurate measurements.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2013 11:41 AM GMT