Profile for S. Osborne > Reviews

Content by S. Osborne

S. Osborne (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300 mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300 mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens
Offered by ESMALL

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous all-rounder travel lens, 24 July 2016
This is an awesome DX lens, paired with a D5500 in my case. Perfect travel lens.
Do yourself a favour and get a rapid strap or similar which makes carrying an slr+big lens like this all day a breeze..

Dali Sub E9f Blk (Sos)
Dali Sub E9f Blk (Sos)
Offered by HifiHut

5.0 out of 5 stars Punchy little sub.., 24 July 2016
These are amazing little subs, don't let its size fool you - it will bone shake yu if you adjut it to that level..
I had one originally in a 5.1 zensor 1 setup, then upgraded fronts to zensor 5, this is when level and cross over controls come into their own as you can adjust anyway you like (or you can use crossover and level adjusts in your av receiver if it has them for SW)
Ive just bought a second one as in a new house I'm going to install 7.2.2 atmos - it should be amazing, I'll try to remember to update this review then.

Roger Waters: The Wall (Special Edition Digipack) [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Roger Waters
Offered by Fast & Serious*

5.0 out of 5 stars Roger's "pièce de résistance", 27 Nov. 2015
I've been a pink floyd + the wall aficionado since it was first released - so there's the context I'm coming to this as fan, just commenting on this work..

I saw this in a cinema first and was disappointed, simply because they played it at such a low volume it was distracting.

Now having pushed it through a couple of surround systems at decent volume its really very good.

The music quality is fabulous on the native Dolby Atmos mix, I've also listened to it on a cross-mix to TrueHD (7.1) and its just lovely - there's no surprise here Roger Waters has also been right up there with the best as far as the production quality he demands goes.

As a movie its a mixed bag - well that was my original reaction - although I'm enjoying watching multiple times, including as I write this review.

I like it because he hasn't tried to remake the 80's movie, or even the original concerts - this is an older, more considered Roger Waters, giving us his "pièce de résistance" as a mix of drama (well, not quite what else you'd call the road trip footage..) + live footage all fairly seemlessly mix together. The over all effect is a great listen, and a 'softer' watch (I can't watch the 80s wall movie too often even though I love it, it is quite heavy going as a watch..) in my opinion.

OPPO BDP-103EU-M OPPO BDP-103EU Multi Zone \& Multi Region Blu-ray Player
OPPO BDP-103EU-M OPPO BDP-103EU Multi Zone \& Multi Region Blu-ray Player

5.0 out of 5 stars you gets whats you pay for.., 6 Aug. 2015
I took the plunge, this is a lot of money for a BD player (but with investment in 4k tv, plus Denon Atmos out to Zensor 5.1 plus Onkyo up-drive atmos spkrs it became worth the plunge to complete the set-up).
As others have said Oppo go above and beyond to convince you you're at the high end, starting with the packaging, followed by a real user manual - when was the last time you saw one of those? :-)
This thing has got so much setup ability it'll keep you busy for days.. Apparently HDMI2 is unprocessed straight out of video chip so Im using that to try to get a straight through video result.
A blu-ray is obviously a pretty straight forward task, so I immediately threw something a little more challenging at it - a bd rip over the network from my Twonky DNLA on NAS box..
I put it on wireless to make it work hard..
It is currently playing my rip of American Sniper at 1080p, Dolby Atmos sound track over *wifi* without a problem - the source file is a 33Gbyte MKV - now THAT is a universal player!
I haven't test multi-region (supplied via Amazon+Peter Tyson) but will be as I'll be taking this player to Australia in due course..
I am currently watching the dolby atmos demo disk (again streamed over wifi off NAS as straight BMDV streams) and its happily jumping track to track with a little buffer in between and having no problems..
I've had popcorns, linux streamers, still have a ps3, sony bds and tvs and nothing has streamed as effortlessly as this - you pay for what you get :-)

Onkyo Skh410 Atmos Speakers
Onkyo Skh410 Atmos Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive addition to your 5.1 sound stage, 29 July 2015
These are great, have partnered on top of Dali Zensor 1's up front (they're up about two metres off the floor which as others have said, positioning IS important). Denon AVRZ2200WW driving them in 5.1.2 mode and even just for an up-mix of stereo music to all channels creates an impressive sound stage - haven't even tried a real atmos source yet and I'm already happy at this price for the difference it makes to the sound stage if your amp is capable of mix-up for stereo, and 5.1 sources to 5.1.2
Oh, and yes, do get some decent speaker cable for them :-)

Denon AVR-X2200  7.2 Channel, 4K Ultra HD Network A/V Receiver with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Denon AVR-X2200 7.2 Channel, 4K Ultra HD Network A/V Receiver with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Offered by gadget-south-side

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound stage using 5.1.2, 29 July 2015
Upgraded from sony strdn-1050 and this unit is just a step above including atmos and dts:x (later via firmware) decoding.
On the face of it a less powerful amp (165 vs 95 w) but if you can sit in a room with a good set of speakers (Dali Zensors 5.1 in my case) driving at 100 watts youre a better man than me :-)
You're going to have add speakers if you're going above 5.1, in my case I added a pair of onkyo up-firing fronts (skh410's) and the sound stage changes completely - the denon is expert at up-mixing stereo to multi-channel which lets the sony down in my opinion. It has many easy to access options for changing the in amp mixing which let's face it is the primary purpose of this bit if kit.
Whilst the denon on screen display is not slick its not ugly, and it will overlay on any source (except the tv itself of course).
Its 4K thru and 4K upscale are flawless to my eye on a 4K sony tv.
Denon calibration is an 8 position affair, takes about 15 mins but is worth it - i have high raking ceilings and its dealt confidently with that during calibration.
Denon has tone controls (which you can switch out if you wish) - I find the amp a bit 'bright' for my taste so am grateful to be able treble it down a bit.
The remote is fine in use although I find it a bit 'cheap' feeling but once the multi remote is all programmed up that wont bother me.

Update 3 Aug 2015.
The difference between this amp (at £500) and a circa £350 amp is very significant.
The things I've notice with more extended use:
- on screen displays are not 'designer graphics' they are serviceable, very serviceable, you can overlay setup/options/levels displays on any source which makes tweaking/checking and selecting up/down mix modes a pleasure
- this amp has the type of controls I expect, right down to crossover frequencies, tone controls etc, these are all missing on cheaper amps
- the video through this amp is second to none - I have uhd tv and ps3, firetv, popcorn hour, sony bluray, youview box and I can actually see the difference using this amp, its squeezing the very best out of my 4k tv
- the sound is punchy and crystal clear, the AUDYSSEY cal gets mostly everything right and is 8 position and take about 15 mins
- music dnla streaming is flawless, mp3 or flac, including display of album art, track info etc (this amp won't stream video)
- you may want more power than the 95 per channel on offer, but with my speakers rated at 100w Im happy not to be able to over drive them, and I am driving 7 speakers constantly. Very loud is 80 on a 0-100 scale, so plenty of head room as far as I'm concerned. You may want more 'grunt' if you have a very big room.
- ATMOS is very good, you need to source the Dolby ATMOS demo disc
- the digital mixing in this amp is much better than the Sony' IMO, stereo sources mixed up to DD surround, mutli-channel stereo, or Matrix really are very good and have big differences and give you genuine choices for you to choose how you like your music 'up-mixed'
- the on screen display is actually helpful (Sony kit is annoyingly woeful in this regard imo) and if needs be you can navigate using it if you're are, say, watching tv and cant see on screen overlays.
- this amp has a built in web server - point your browser at its IP address and you have control of everything in the amp
- reviews have said its a little low on bass, I'd agree (hence my comment above about it being a little bright) - but this is only an 'out of the box' problem, tweaking the sub cross-over (on the sub) and using in amp controls for levels & tone & cross-over can adjust this out to precisely your liking in my experience

You can tell I like this amp, if you want no compromise surround music mixing and a theatre sound stage that will blow your socks off with clarity then this is good value..

Review I've found at this stage is:
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2016 7:09 AM BST

Sony Strdn1050
Sony Strdn1050

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money.., 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Sony Strdn1050 (Electronics)
My review is slightly biased because I'm coming from 'all in ones', but I had a full separates system about a decade ago - obviously you can't compare AIO's to any separates system - so Ive been using this for a few days, calibrating, testing various stuff before writing this review.
I've paired this with a package of Dali Zensor 1 5.1 speakers (1's, a Voakl, & a e9f sub) the amp has more than enough power to drive these obviously.
To colour my review I've just watched through the 'Ride of the Valkyries' scene in Apocalyse Now - the separation, clarity and drive is outstanding..
The fact that the amp menus can be accessed as overlays on screen when watching something else makes it really easy to adjust things on the fly - if that doesn't work for you you can always use the songpal mobile to make adjustments on the fly too. Setup is a breeze - just 'follow the bouncing ball' in easy setup..
This has every decoder you can imagine you'd want, obviously DD and DTS and all the way up to FLAC, DSD etc for audio.
An amazing audio test is the classical 'Canon' in flac you get everything from top (violins in full flight) to the bottom (bass strumming)..

Pros
- plenty of inputs
- 4K to match 4K tv (I have a Sony 8505b paired with this)
- great control via on screen and mobile app
- good network features to use NAS, mobile etc etc

Cons
- slightly too 'bright' for my taste but I believe it's faithful it's just my ear's preference
- not much really

At this price I doubt you can do better

Kundun
Kundun

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows and grows on you.., 23 May 2015
This review is from: Kundun (Audio CD)
I love the film, which I recently re-watch for the first time in a while.
This music just grows and grows on you..
I am also reading Philip Glass' autobiography at the moment so lots of things coming together in different directions..

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, astonishing for music.., 3 May 2015
It's 4 and half stars actually - but that's not an option :-)

This systems forte is it's ability to provide great surround sound *and* great reproduction for traditional stereo music - in my experience that's unusual. For this it's best to get the front speakers off the floor, they operate fine as floor standing but the difference for music (and any other source) if you get them up to say .5m above floor level is significant.

For me this is a third Sony system - HT-IS100 -> HT-AS5 -> this the 7200. The AS5 is a great surround system but really cant do music justice, but its still in the family as a 'hand me down' as its such a great system..

Niggles - there's been some reviews about distortion in front left/right or both speakers - I've experienced it in the front left, but it was difficult to regularly reproduce so I haven't gone down the path of warranty repair as yet. It also seems very dependant on source, free to air tv being the worst culprit. I did give the centre speaker in the left a poke (suggested to free it up in some reviews) and lately (last month or so) i really haven't heard the problem.

Power - the unit claims 1200W (which of course is always marketing nonsense..) but comparing to the AS5 this unit does 'seem' less powerful - that being said this unit will run at max with absolutely no distortion and at that volume for either music or bluray, its then best to go into the backyard to listen to it :-P It's plenty powerful enough in the end but it does seem to depend on source - with on deck bluray being best - I've reverted to everything plugged into the TV and using the tv-bdv optical for return audio - I'm not sure this has made a huge difference but unsurprisingly it does tend to even out levels between different sources which is a side bonus.

Music sources for this abound - but I have been a squeezebox user for a long time and was disappointed to not see it supported - but I didn't know, which I do now, that the squeezebox server can be configured to present as a DNLA server these days, so config that and it will show up in the menu bar as a dnla music server on the 7200 - nice!

I have a newish Sony middle range 4K tv (KD-55X8505B), Youview, PS3, FireTV and a NAS presenting Twonky DNLA, PLEX and Squeezebox DNLA - so needing quite a few ethernet connections at tv these days :-P
All this kit plays together pretty nicely and the BDV sits nicely in the centre of it all playing audio for pretty much anything you can throw at it. Its video codec support is also pretty good too you use DNLA video sources a lot..
It's iPlayer and Amazon Prime apps are solid & reliable from my experience

All in all the sound *quality* from this all in one is the best I've ever heard - you'll have to go to separates to get better..

Sadly the left front speaker distortion was intermittent and developed further and speaker has now gone in for warranty repairs.. colours my opinion I'm afraid.. :(

Sony KD-55X8505 55" 4K Ultra HD 3D compatibility Smart TV Wi-Fi Black - LED TVs (4K Ultra HD, B, 16:9, 14:9, Zoom, 3840 x 2160, 4096 x 2160, 1280 x 720 (HD 720), 1920 x 1080 (HD 1080), 1080i, 1080p, 2160p, 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant bargain, 16 Feb. 2015
These are down to street price of around £1300 and at that price I could not resist.
So, context..
This is about my third big screen in about 5 years, and this one is replacing a sammy 59 inch plasma (over the 5 years Ive had it I decided its actually too big for my room so hence decided to drop down to 55) - ps59d6900.
So, I was concerned about black levels and accepted I probably wouldn't get what I was getting on the plasma..
The sammy was good but Ive never seen anything which had the same punch as a 40 inch Sony I had a few years ago and my GF still has as a hand me down..
So it came down to the Sammy 55hu7500 or one of the 2014 sony's - I pitch for the Sony for two solid reasons, firstly a JL package at 1299 with 5 year warranty was the clincher, and this 'lower end' Sony UHD had be reviewed well at its old price of northward of 1800..
Reviews:
and

Arrived today..
Solid build, beautiful (as Sony kit with a few exceptions usually is - very subjective I know) - bezel is about 10 mm or something crazy thin like that..
I've setup mid stand legs - easy, remove lugs designed for end stand position, insert stands into mid position sockets and fix with four screws provided (I did this with the TV on its back flat on a bed, awkward but I really didnt want to put it on its 'face')..

Plonked it on stand and hooked up my Sony HT-AS5 surround system (and bonus bravia sync now does something) so straight away I'm not going to say anything about TV in built sound as I don't care..

Moving from HD to UHD is amazing - my description is easiest by using photography analogies - a full UHD picture looks like you're watching hi res pictures (except they are moving) from a good DSLR or APC camera, continuing with the analogy I actually caught myself looking at the detail to guess what fstop the video was being taken in by the depth of field in the focus points of the picture.
This sets HD to UHD upscaling is fabulous (as is Sony UHD upscaling in general in reviews)..
I'm blown away by passive 3d (remembering Im comparing to active 3d sammy of 5 years ago) - even if this set is only 2K 3d as is likely and suggested in reviews etc. My test is Grand Canyon Adventure 3D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/IMAX-Grand-Canyon-Adventures-River-Blu-ray/dp/B003XU6HX8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1420550201&sr=1-1&keywords=grand+canyon+adventure+3d).
The 3d is comfortable to watch, doesn't feel unnatural like it did to me with the flickering of active glasses, and I waer glasses and the supply passive glasses are fine over prescription specs for me.
There's much chatter around on fora (https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-x8505-4k-owners-thread.1890828/) about ghosting, backlight bleed, and screen uniformity issues on some (individual?) screens - mine doesn't appear to have any uniformity issues to me, if the backlight is too high it appears first in the left hand bottom corner but I can adjust out under any light conditions, not noticing any ghosting or movement issues beyond what I expect from LCD (and certainly much less than I had on the sammy).

Like I said my kit is HT-AS5 for sound, inputs are PS3, FireTV and TallkTalk YouView Box.

Testing with UHD sources is for me best with Amazon Instant Video (coz I'm a member & not member of Netflix currently) and downloads from YouTube onto USB using https://www.4kdownload.com/ (adware)

Hope this helps - any questions fire away..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4