Profile for Peter G. Williams > Reviews

Content by Peter G. Williams

Peter G. Williams (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use and impressive bond strength - in my ..., 19 Mar. 2016
Really impressed. Palm sized gun, wouldn't call it solid but certainly up the job. Generous supply of glue sticks. Very easy to use and impressive bond strength - in my case plastic onto plywood which isn't an easy surface. Wire stand to keep the tip off your worksurface is effective.

OWC Envoy Pro USB 3.0 External Enclosure for Solid State Drive
OWC Envoy Pro USB 3.0 External Enclosure for Solid State Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but late 2013 Macbook Pro drive didn't fit., 23 Feb. 2016
The drive enclosure is gorgeous - slimline brushed metal, solid build quality and fitting would have been very straightforward. However I was trying to use it with a PCI-E SSD taken from a late 2013 model Macbook Pro. The position of the "gap" in the connector strip is just a few millimeters out (and yes I tried it in both orientations). It looks like from June 2013 the specification changed and there's another OWC product OWCMAU3ENPRPCI but it doesn't seem to be available (at a reasonable price) in the UK currently. Oh I can add a photo...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2016 1:46 PM BST

Sevylor Inflateable Kayak Skeg (suitable Tahiti and Riviera ranges)
Sevylor Inflateable Kayak Skeg (suitable Tahiti and Riviera ranges)
Offered by Swindon Watersports

5.0 out of 5 stars May save your marriage., 1 Oct. 2015
OMG we needed this. I think this piece of plastic may have saved my marriage because without it, our Sevylor Tahiti plus is prone to just randomly turning 360 degrees and once it starts going into a spin no amount of paddling or "J stroke" will correct it. Domestic argument ensues. Absolutely essential. It's fairly easy to fit - the fold at the back of the boat where the two sides come to a point holds it in place. Fairly thick solid plastic.

ANSMANN AES-1 Zero Watt Energy Saving Timer Plug
ANSMANN AES-1 Zero Watt Energy Saving Timer Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, very useful, works well., 1 Oct. 2015
Firstly, I note that a 1 star review below mentions red LEDs and IR signals being received which this unit doesn't do so I suspect it relates to a different product. This is just a very simple "push button, device comes on" solution and you push the button a few more times to keep the device on longer; green LEDS light up in a row as the time increases. Another review talked about the button not having a definite action. Personally I'm fine with it, it's a microswitch action like clicking a mouse. I bought it for plugging in an electric fire so I can just have it on for an hour or two and not need to worry about accidentally leaving it on. I think another negative review mentioned the 6 second delay before the unit powers off once you click > 8 hours. I think that's a good design because this gives you a chance to continue clicking to leave it on if you've accidentally clicked more than you intended - some electronic equipment doesn't like being switched on and off too quickly. All in all I'm totally happy with it, and it's an extremely simple and useful piece of kit.

All Trade Direct 1X Carlube 20G Tube Silicone Multi Purpose Grease Lubricate Plastic Rubber Water
Offered by Car Spares Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than expected, but all the better for it., 19 Jun. 2015
This lube is "finer" than I was expecting - I think I thought it was going to be like traditional grease, where in fact it's more runny than that, but that works really well for me 'cos I'm lubricating the piston of a hand powered air pump, so the less resistance the better.

10 X SPRING CLAMP 60MM SMALL CLIPS DIY CRAFT MODEL MAKING PLASTIC SOFT GRIP JAWS
Offered by AllTrade Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gluing shoe soles together., 11 May 2015
These are just what you need for tricky glueing situations. Something I didn't realise when I bought them is that those flexible orange pincers which look like the might slip off a fine hold (like the side of a pair of shoes in my case), actually flip round so that they meet together 2mm wide - more like biting teeth than fingers. I got a great result. Actually I did take a photo of it....
Comment Comment | Permalink

VOSO-6.35mm 1/4 inch 90 Degree Right Angle Jack Plug Guitar Lead Cable 3m 10ft # 6700380
Offered by EZI TRADING LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price., 24 Mar. 2015
Well unlike Jeff, mine worked great. OK it's not gold plated, but for the price it's excellent. The metal plugs are strong, and the cable has a pleasant high quality flexible rubber feel, not plastic. The spring start to the shielding gives confidence that the wires won't snap internally if the plug is abused (bought this for my 8 year old). I would warn people with children to tighten up the plug cover which he managed to unscrew and leave detached, but it's also good to see that the plug could be reassembled/resoldered easily if it did get broken.

Xperitus BOS-26U Hi-Speed Quality Micro USB To USB Cable (Pack of 5) 1 Meter Braided Tangle Free [Type-B] Compatible with Samsung Mobile Phones Galaxy S4, Google Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia 1020, Galaxy S3, Moto G, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch, Sony Xperia, HTC One And More (Green, White, Black, Red, Blue) [Micro USB Cable] Free 30 Days Money Back Guarantee [18 Months Warranty]

5.0 out of 5 stars Well packaged, great value for money, 26 Nov. 2014
Very happy with these well packaged, great value for money cables. Seems like every device in the house is charged with these micro usb connectors, so we really appreciated the different colours, stops arguments and one for spare. The braided cord works well to reduce tangle and the ends are a rubbery sort of plastic that doesn't feel brittle. The flexi-ends look like they'll let the cable bend without snapping internally. Someone else mentioned the slim form of the micro-usb end - good point because the opening going into my Nexus 5's cover is restricted. I'm surprised to see 1 star reviews where cables have stopped working; no problems here after a week but I'll report back if they do.

Epson EH-TW5200 Full HD 1080p 3LCD 3D Home Cinema and Gaming Projector
Epson EH-TW5200 Full HD 1080p 3LCD 3D Home Cinema and Gaming Projector
Offered by Direct savings

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been playing PC games as well as movies and haven't felt the need to engage the "fast" mode - good to know it's there thoug, 15 Sept. 2014
My selection came down to a choice between this model (which I bought) and the BenQ W1070 which is also getting rave reviews currently. I was worried about the fan noise in this machine, but I was put off the BenQ by the "rainbow effect" that people talk about and the BenQ is also around the 33dB mark. How loud is that? About the same as a relatively noisy large desktop computer. You certainly know when it's on, but if there's sound in the movie it doesn't bother me at all. The ECO mode in the EH-TW5200 makes a huge difference to the fan noise and doesn't reduce the brightness too much. I've been playing PC games as well as movies and haven't felt the need to engage the "fast" mode - good to know it's there though! I also looked at the TW6100 but it's nearly double the price and the main difference there seems to be the much higher brightness and contrast. The TW5200 is fine to use in a windowed room from about dusk, but you couldn't use it if sun was streaming in. The keystone correction works really well in both dimensions and the menu system is intuitive. I'm using it 3m away from a white wall which is giving me a 100" picture.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit - just don't drop it!, 27 Nov. 2011
I just bought a replacement for my previous Alfa AWUS036H because we can't live without it. With the wireless that's built into my laptop I get 1 bar (poor) and with the Alfa plugged in I get 5 - plus I can see all the neighbour's networks which could be useful someday if our router were to get fried.

Something to be aware of is that the 500mW and 1000mW versions of this product have exactly the same model number. Apparently the 1000mW version (which we stuck with) has a "1" on the front of it and if you were to open it up, the circuit board is blue (green for the 500 version).

The ONLY point I've got against it (and this is why I had to buy a replacement) is that the connection on the USB socket is weak. We dropped it a couple of times (it was clipped to a curtain and I moved the laptop forgetting it was plugged in, then a 2nd time I think one of the kids knocked it) and the socket came away from the circuit board. Looking at it, it's an extremely fine solder joint which won't take any punishment - suggest the manufacturers put an additional clip to hold it in place. So 4 stars, losing one for lack of robustness, rather than the 5 which - in terms of it's function, looks, ease of use and performance - it deserves.

Page: 1 | 2