Profile for Kevin L. Wright > Reviews

Content by Kevin L. Wright

Kevin L. Wright

Portta 2 Port 1x2 Hdmi Splitter V 1.3b compatible c1.4 3D 1080p swither 5 8 PS3 XBOX360 DVD Blu-ray
Offered by Consumerele

1.0 out of 5 stars DOES *NOT* STRIP HDCP, 22 Aug. 2016
Clearly the many other reviews against this are out of date. I purchased this via Prime Now (with the markup entailed) for one reason, and one reason only...

In order to screenshare a presentation in my Office's conference room, I needed to prevent my macbook from negotiating HDCP with an Extron switch, which then refused to pass through the signal when connected to a non-HDCP-supporting Vidyo server.

It didn't work, the latest model of this provides HDCP passthrough, and I was forced to render my presentation as an mp4 file for playback on a Windows machine. Given the number of reviews praising the HDCP stripping, and the likelihood of someone purchasing the splitter based on these reviews, might I *strongly* suggest that the description be updated to *clearly* state that the device now forces this encumbering "feature" upon us.

Sharebear LED Night Light with Changing Color Balls That Glow in the Dark When Removed From Their Pedestals - Kids and Babies Love These Night Lights and Fall Asleep to Them
Offered by Share-Bear Company

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel cheated, 1 Jun. 2016
The pictures are wildly misleading, the balls in this are NOT illuminated and DON'T glow in different colours.

The balls appear to be much the same as you'd find in a ball pool, and are made of the sort of glow-in-the-dark plastic that emits a sickly green light for all of 7 seconds after being removed from a light source.

One of the photos of this item was *very* cleverly composed to give a false impression of the ball glowing pink, simply because the child was still holding it close enough to the illuminated "stem" of the lamp.

Caseflex High Speed 6-Port USB Multi Charger Hub With 10A / 50W SmartAmp Fast Charge Technology - Black
Offered by Yousave Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 days in, already buying another, 14 Jan. 2016
It's so rare that I get to review something that "just works", with no discernable flaws.

Three Mobiles, wireless headphones, tablets, a couple of kindles... single-port chargers just aren't an option for my family.

I like that it has a cable and doesn't need to be plugged directly into a socket (very handy if using on one of those desks with sockets suspended beneath), I like that it shows the output power so I can see if devices capable of faster charging truly are getting the full 2A. I like that it takes up so little space. After just 2 days I've already ordered a second one to leave at work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2016 1:19 PM BST

Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen
Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen
Offered by SHINE AWAY

1.0 out of 5 stars abandonware, 21 May 2013
The SDK was killed roughly 2 years ago, overnight, with no warning. All downloads removed and developer forums take down.

There's no innovation here, there never will be now. There are only a handful of custom apps available and no more will ever be released.

All effort has been moved to the overpriced and flawed Livescribe Sky (appropriately named, given that its SDK is vapour-ware). A lovely device that you can only sync to your computer via an active wifi connection to the cloud. This stunning design choice was clearly motivated by the overwhelming positive response to SimCity 5...

It works well enough for all *basic* stated functionality, but I cannot in good conscience rate it above one star. Not after the way the device had all future potential neutered by castrating the developer community and thoroughly shafting anyone both willing and able to create a custom app.

SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 8 Mar. 2013
I love (or used to) the SimCity series, but EA have now ruined it for me.
I really wanted a new distraction for my 2 hour commute, and the glass box engine looks to be amazing, but the DRM and tethering me online make it unusable.

There's something deeply wrong in the world when my SINGLE-PLAYER game refuses to work because my bus is in a valley with no 3g, or my train is going through a tunnel.

Sure, geography is a big part of sim city, but real-world geography certainly shouldn't be a part of whether or not I can play it in the first place. I just regret that I can't vote with negative stars.

Logitech Harmony One UK - Advanced Universal Remote Control (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly let down by the software, 29 Dec. 2008
For such a beautifully designed piece of hardware that pays such careful attention to ergonomics and usability, I am truly disgusted that the supporting software fails so abysmally when measured against the same criteria.

Even a simple task such as moving a soft button to a different location on the touch screen can take literally hundreds of highly repetitive and frustrating mouse clicks. As an experienced developer, I know how it can and should be done, so it is obvious to me that this software represents a minimum effort on behalf of Logitech and shows that they clearly don't care what you think of the product once they have your money.

To add insult to injury, it also seems that any account created on their forums will be blocked from posting unless you do nothing but sing their praises and claim that nothing is at fault with the product whatsoever.

Shame on you Logitech...