Profile for A. Milne > Reviews

Content by A. Milne
Top Reviewer Ranking: 666

A. Milne "themilnes" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sealy Select Balance Duvet, White, 10.5 Tog, Double
Sealy Select Balance Duvet, White, 10.5 Tog, Double

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable hypoallergenic duvet, 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Sealy Select duvet looks quite posh right from the opening as it has a smart grey border unlike the plain white duvets that I've always previously had. It's billed as a Spring/Autumn duvet which is about right for me as, at 10.5 tog, it's too warm for the current hot, muggy weather. That said, before it became too hot we tried it out and it is indeed a lovely duvet to sleep under. It is light and "fluffy" and felt very comfortable meaning that I felt warm enough and my partner, (who is usually baking), felt rather cooler than usual and not as sweaty.

This duvet is hypoallergenic - an important factor for those of us with allergies/asthma that can sometimes be triggered by bedding - and can also be washed...if you have a large washing machine!

I really like this duvet and may well look for a lighter version for Summer use. I would love it if it came in an all-weather package with a lighter duvet included that can be clipped together or used on their own for differing weather. All in all, though, a lovely duvet that I would highly recommend.

Philips GC7035/20 PerfectCare Viva Steam Generator Iron, 1.7 Litre, 5 Bar, Blue
Philips GC7035/20 PerfectCare Viva Steam Generator Iron, 1.7 Litre, 5 Bar, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever iron that doesn't burn clothes and produces lots of steam, 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea behind this iron is great - no more changing the iron heat settings from cotton to synthetics to... as this iron deals with them all with no settings! With all the water, (and it takes a large quantity of water), stored in the base unit, just leaving you the light iron to handle that is connected to the base by a thick cable, it is easy to manoeuvre over clothes and can - apparently - even be left on garments without burning them.

This unit produces a large amount of steam when the button is depressed and it does indeed seem to flatten those creases with ease. My one issue - a minor one - with this iron is that the production of steam doesn't cut off immediately the button is released and so you have to essentially release the button a few seconds before lifting the iron. This isn't a huge problem but just requires a bit of getting used to.

We have hard water in our area and so the indicator that tells you when descaling is required is a bonus and should help to keep this iron in peak condition.

All in all this is a really good iron that undoubtedly helps get through the dreaded pile of iron that much quicker.

KS3 Maths Textbook 2
KS3 Maths Textbook 2
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book with quick topic overviews and practice questions. No answers though!, 16 July 2016
This review is from: KS3 Maths Textbook 2 (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book covers the core material for KS3, so should be a useful book for most students. It's not really a text book as far as I'm concerned - instead it gives a quick worked example or explanation for each topic and then has quite a few practice questions for the student. If the student has never before been introduced to a topic then they may well find that this short explanation on its own is not enough information to provide them with confidence.

That said, I think that this book is really useful and my son has been using to check his understanding of the various topics included within this book. The one, rather big, downside is that the answers are not included within this book and must instead be purchased seperately - a real pain! I've docked it a star for this but love the rest of the book.

KS3 Maths Test Practice Workbook - Higher
KS3 Maths Test Practice Workbook - Higher
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for practice and spotting gaps in knowledge but NO ANSWERS are included!, 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is an excellent resource for seeing if your child is confident in the different maths topics covered in KS3 and is a great way of spotting any gaps in knowledge. The layout is very clear and uncluttered and the contents of the book are neatly and logically ordered into different topic areas.

The one downside of this book is that there are no answers included - these have to be purchased separately, if required, which seems like a really unnecessary annoyance for most parents. Please, CGP, put the answers in the book - even if it means that the book costs a little extra! Grrr!

KS2 Maths Targeted Study Book - Year 6+, Challenging Maths for Year 6 Pupils
KS2 Maths Targeted Study Book - Year 6+, Challenging Maths for Year 6 Pupils
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book for slightly more challenging Year 6 maths work, 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If your child is approaching the Year 6 SATs tests and is confident in their maths then this book may prove to be a useful resource. The blurb inside the book states:
"This book is perfect for stretching pupils aged 10-11 who are getting to grips with the Year 6 Maths objectives quickly and confidently."

The book covers all the topics required in Year 6 and supposedly approaches them "in challenging new ways" to stretch able mathematicians. My son is quite enjoying working through this book and it seems to comprehensively cover everything that I would expect. I find some of the pages a little cluttered and "busy", but that's a bit of an aesthetics thing and it doesn't seem to bother my son one bit.

All in all a useful resource for stretching a mathematically confident child and great practise before the SATs!

Salter Stainless Steel Curve Scale
Salter Stainless Steel Curve Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, useful, great-looking scales, 14 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These scales look great and are light and sleek - easy to tuck away when not in use. They don't come with a special bespoke measuring "container" that fits on them - instead you pop a bowl/jug or whatever you have to hand on top of them, zero them and then place your ingredients in. I really like this system and find that, generally, it reduces washing up.

The scales are easily cleaned with a quick wipe and weigh up to a max of 5kg, so they should cope with whatever you're doing in the kitchen.

All in all a great little unit and good value too, in my opinion.

Kensington VU4000D USB 3.0 to Display Port 4K Video Adapter
Kensington VU4000D USB 3.0 to Display Port 4K Video Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars A good video adaptor which could be better if it stored drivers, 9 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This video adaptor does exactly what it says it will - it plugs into a USB port and allows an older machine to connect to a high resolution display port monitor/TV. This is great for in meeting rooms or shared environments, allowing generic laptops to connect to your monitor/screen. The reason that I've not given it 5 stars is that to use the device, you also need the required driver installed on your laptop which can be obtained from Kensington's website or it can be loaded onto a USB stick to take with the device...however this adds an extra step to getting the device up and running on new laptops, whereas I've seen/used similar devices that contain the USB functionality to store their own driver.

With regard to other reviews, I believe that Kensington produce this device in two different formats - HDMI or Display Port. This is the Display Port variant and will not connect to an HDMI port!

Overall, this is a useful accessory that does exactly the job that it's meant to do.

Venum Challenger 2.0 Boxing Gloves - Black/Matte Black, 12 oz
Venum Challenger 2.0 Boxing Gloves - Black/Matte Black, 12 oz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking gloves, well-made and should last, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having only ever previously worn very over-used, mangled and sweaty boxing gloves at fitness classes, these gloves were probably always going to feel like a dream! However, putting aside the fact that any gloves would feel like a massive step up, I have to say that I really love these boxing gloves.

First up, they look great - the black colourway is understated but looks great with Venum written on them in black. They feel like a quality product and seem very well put together - hopefully they will last for quite some time - and have a nice weighty feel to them. The one downside is that I find them a little bit roomy even though I selected the right size for my weight. Obviously I'm not a boxing pro - I just use them for basic training purposes - and for this they seem ideal. In the description they are described as entry-level gloves and they seem, perhaps, a tad expensive for this purpose. However, it is important to have good protection even when just starting out or having a general mess around and I think that these gloves will give me just that.

Oral-B Smart Series 5000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Smart Series 5000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cleaning but unconvinced by the bluetooth features, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This toothbrush has lots of features including four different modes: everyday clean, sensitive, whitening and gum massage. It seems to clean teeth very thoroughly, giving a lovely clean feeling when you run your tongue over your teeth.

Despite having had a bluetooth-enabled toothbrush before, I still struggle to find a massive use for this and it still feels rather like a gimmick. The app itself wants quite a lot of details that, strictly speaking, I'm not sure are necessary. I installed it for the purposes of testing but have since de-installed it as I won't use it anyway. I can see that an app might be good fun and perhaps encourage kids but I'm afraid that I'm just not all that interested and certainly don't feel that a report on my toothbrushing is adding any value!

Whilst I'm always pleased with the clean that Oral-B toothbrushes provide I have, in the past, been rather disappointed at how they slow down noticeably as the toothbrush charge gets less - not an issue I've had with other brands. So far, this toothbrush hasn't displayed a noticeable slowing down as the battery charge gets less but it may be something that kicks in after a few months of use.

Overall I'm impressed with the cleaning that this toothbrush provides. However, do have a think about whether or not you'll use the bluetooth features.

3M(TM) Precise(TM) Mouse Mat with Leatherette Gel Wrist Rest - Silver - 22.1cm x 23.4cm x 1.9cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically comfortable wrist rest and responsive mouse mat. Fab!, 25 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mouse mat with wrist support is fabulous. It's a great size for sitting at the side of my desktop - it doesn't take up too much room - and does indeed provide comfortable wrist support which is welcome when using the mouse for extended periods. I wasn't even aware until recently that there were mouse mats with wrist support around but, now having had one, I can highly recommend the idea and, indeed, this mouse mat in particular.

The mousing surface is very smooth and makes the mouse very responsive - a treat as I'm used to using all sorts of things as impromptu mouse mats! The rubbery bottom of the mouse mat ensures that it won't slip - even when on a slippery surface - which is another great feature. The wrist rest is made of a very luxurious feeling leatherette material which seems to have just the right amount of "give" for a very comfortable experience.

Overall I'm really pleased with this mouse mat. I'd highly recommend it and will probably buy one for my other half and my parents too - I like it that much!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20