Profile for S. Richardson > Reviews

Content by S. Richardson

S. Richardson "giallofan" (Shropshire, England)

Here Come The Tears
Here Come The Tears

4.0 out of 5 stars Here Come The Tears - The Tears, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Here Come The Tears (Audio CD)
Well I was a huge Suede fan before Bernard Butler left.
When Richard Oakes joined up as new guitarist things went down hill despite releasing a very commercial album called Coming Up.
Suede lost it IMO.
Gone was the dark, atmospheric music of Suede and Dog Man Star and I sorely missed Butler's wonderful guitar work.
Well now Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson are back as The Tears, it sounds like early Suede but it's far more glossy and sounds cheerful and upbeat, I prefered the darker side to their music. There are some catchy pop songs on here, some of the lyrics are really embarassing but it's still a very good record.
Anderson's vocals on this album are the strongest of his career.
It sounds fresh and inspired.
A very welcome reuinion.

Reveal
Reveal
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Reveal, 3 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Reveal (Audio CD)
R.E.M. have made many great albums, their best being Automatic For The People, a classic album which will remain a landmark in music history, a testimony to their unique musical talent.
I think Reveal is one of the most difficult records to get into, it's tunes don't instantly stand out. It's difficult to recall the titles of the tracks. I purchased this album when it was first released, and for a long period of time I was dissapointed by it. It seemed quite dull at times.
Having played Reveal more and more, I finally began to see the true beauty of this album. With the exception of some of the more up-tempo tracks like the single "Imitation of Life", things can sound sombre at times. Lyrically this album is one of their strongest to date, the lyrics are included in the inlay which is a nice treat. Michael Stipes unique voice is sometimes difficult to understand.
Reveal is a slow building gem, given a chance this album has a number of beautiful tracks, Michael Stipe conjures up emotional, thought provoking lyrics and the music is superb, ever atmospheric with dark and uplifting bouts.
"I've Been High", "Disappear" and "I'll Take The Rain" are all wonderful. A very good album.
Difficult to get into, but the effort of repeated listening is worth it, play it again and give it another try.

Crazy Taxi (PS2)
Crazy Taxi (PS2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, CRAZY TAXI has all the depth of a cold cupa' tea!, 26 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Crazy Taxi (PS2) (PlayStation)
I rented Crazy Taxi recently. I had heard people mention what good fun it was. Unfortunately having rushed home to play it, I slapped it in and was utterly depressed by the terrible lack of depth the game had to offer. The graphics are okay but nothing more. The problems arise from a severely limited amount of gameplay. There are only four drivers and cars, 2 citites and only a few modes of play (including the annoying Crazy Box mode). I played the game for all of 10 mins. before getting completely fed up with it. My friend came around to have a look, I thought it may just have been me, but he thought it was even more of a turkey than I did. The graphics don't offer nothing new as you progress through the city picking up customers in your taxi. The gameplay is monotonous and boring. This game is oblivious to the needs of an arcade game player, I have been a fan of video games for as long as I care to remember. Craxy Taxi is a simple game which offers nothing new as you progress, therefore it has little to make players come back for more, unlike games such as SSX which are simply addictive. Crazy Taxi is a bland game with simple presentation and a high level of repetition and total lack of depth. Avoid, or at least rent out first and save yourself £30 or so. My motto is "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!"
On the PS2 I recommend SSX, GT3 and RESIDENT EVIL - CODE VERONICA X and the forthcoming METAL GEAR SOLID 2 - SONS OF LIBERTY and PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER. Konami know how to make great games. With CRAZY TAXI, SEGA have failed quite miserably.