Profile for Sid. > Reviews

Sid. (Scotland)

Houston: Publishing Demos 2002
Houston: Publishing Demos 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet more quality from the great man., 19 Sept. 2015
In a similar vein to another review on here, this sounds like a "proper" album, rather than just a collection of rough demos. I expected a rough-around-the-edges set of songs that were probably decent, but otherwise not his strongest work (otherwise they wouldn't have been shelved for so long. Instead I get an album that sounds fully rounded, and the equal to many of his best works (I already rank it above The Winding Sheet and Scraps At Midnight), and well worth investing in. The Cross, High Life, and Nothing Much To Mention are my favourites, but it's all strong, and another addition to a great catalogue of work by the greatest singer in action today.

Rock Or Bust
Rock Or Bust
Offered by Champion Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars This is pretty much what I expected from latter-day AC/DC, 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Rock Or Bust (Audio CD)
This is pretty much what I expected from latter-day AC/DC...I bought it as I own all the other studio albums and there is the possibility that it may be their last, but I wasn't expecting anything more than a decent, catchy album, and I was right. Too many songs on their last few albums follow a similar formula, and are interchangeable from one another. I know some have always said all AC/DC songs sound the same but I don't think that this is actually true of their earlier output; Ride On doesn't sound like Riff Raff, Rocker doesn't sound like Gone Shooting etc. There was more variety in their songs and to a certain extent I blame Mutt Lange for this. Highway to Hell, Back In Black and For those About To Rock are great albums, but I feel that he reigned in some of their natural urges in a bid for more restrained, polished style of writing. Songs like Let There Be Rock or Kicked In The Teeth flowed all the way through and were filled with extended instrumental passages where Angus would go ape-s*** in his solos, often for an extended outro after the main body of the song had ended, but too many songs nowadays follow the same formula of short staccato riff with spaces in between, simple beat, couple of verses, chorus, solo, verse, chorus and end, all at a similar tempo. Despite listening to them many times there are many songs on Ballbreaker or Razor's Edge (their weakest albums in my opinion) that when I look at their titles on the sleeve I can't summon up how they sound in my head, unlike earlier albums where every song is instantly recalled, and I think that this is because too many of their later songs are interchangeable similar filler. I get the feeling that this album will follow a similar pattern in that I actually really enjoy it when I'm listening to it, but will have trouble recalling individual songs afterwards, and after a few months it will join the collection to be listened to now and again but be overlooked when in the mood for an AC/DC fix by anything from Flick Of The Switch (underrated in my opinion) and earlier.I don't mean this to sound as critical as it perhaps does, as I realise that they are in their sixties and can't be expected to be matching their peak years, as few people do, and I still love the band and their music (and despite their last few albums being their weakest overall there are still some great songs in amongst the filler), but I'm just a little surprised at all the five star reviews on here. Five stars to me is a stone cold classic, whereas this is a perfectly fine album (possibly better than Black Ice, which had some great songs but could have done with being shorter, but I'll need to live with it a while longer to decide that), but is it really on a par with the likes of Powerage or Back In Black?
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2015 5:14 AM GMT

The Light  The Dead See
The Light The Dead See
Offered by Gute_Preise

4.0 out of 5 stars their best one yet (that I own....), 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Light The Dead See (Audio CD)
I am a massive Mark Lanegan fan, and so I bought It's Not How Far... and Broken on the strength of that, as he features heavily on both. When I found that he wasn't going to be on the latest release I decided not to bother buying it, but after reading many excellent reviews of this album I decided to buy it, and I'm so glad I did. I think this is the strongest of the albums I own by Soulsavers (I don't have their debut), being the most consistent. I thought It's Not How Far was great in parts, but patchy, and Broken was mainly brilliant but tailed off towards the end, but this one is consistently strong the whole way through. My favourite song is the opener, a fantastic song, but there are no real duds on the whole thing, and would urge everyone to buy this album.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin.....(bag)., 28 Mar. 2012
This is excellent value for money, much better than others which may admittedly taste nicer, but do pretty much the same job you want them to. There is a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste, but it is momentary and don't let it put you off. The only slight criticism I have is, as another reviewer has mentioned, the lack of a scoop to give you an idea of how much to actually take.

Blues Funeral
Blues Funeral

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply, The Man., 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Blues Funeral (Audio CD)
It's early days, and it will need a few months to bed in, but this may possibly be his strongest collection of songs yet. Bubblegum is a great album, but one I feel would have been even stronger with two or three songs removed, whereas this one is more consistent. Favourite songs change from day to day, with Phantasmagoria Blues and Deep Black Vanishing Train being my current picks, but all the songs are strong, and with Ode To Sad Disco he could potentially have a hit single with a bit of radio play (whether this would actually be a good thing or not is another matter). The musical backing to THAT voice has changed over the last couple of releases from the earlier material, introducing new sonic textures which keep his sound from going stale, though to be honest he could probably sing over someone banging on an old bath tub and it would still sound pretty decent. If you are a fan of any of his other work with The Screaming Trees, Isobel Cambell, Gutter Twins, QOTSA and particularly Soulsavers which seem to have been a subtle influence on this album, then I strongly suggest you invest in this stellar piece of work.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 7:45 PM GMT

D
D

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful., 23 Jan. 2012
This review is from: D (Audio CD)
This is my own fault really....I bought this cd without hearing a note of White Denim's music, based on its high showing in various magazine's album of the year polls, so that will teach me to investigate a little before taking the plunge. This may very well be a good album if you are into this type of music but unfortunately I am not; Jethro Tull, Yes etc. never appealed to my ears. This will sit on the shelf never to be played again, unless in the future I take a sudden urge to hear some prog-rock jamming while I'm drunk or something.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2014 2:39 PM BST

Ricky Gervais Live IV - Science [DVD]
Ricky Gervais Live IV - Science [DVD]
Dvd ~ Unknown Artist
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd listened to these reviews......, 21 Nov. 2011
I read all these reviews before I bought this DVD, but being a big fan i decided to buy it and make my own mind up. I'll admit that I thought at least some of these negative reviews might have been due to the almost inevitable backlash which happens when someone gets so successful, but after watching I realise that they were simply telling the truth: this isn't very good. I have watched The office/Extras/Politics etc. DVDs a few times each and will watch them all again more times in the future, but after watching this twice I can't imagine I will ever feel the desire to watch it again. I'm not sure if I can remember laughing once the first time, perhaps a couple of faint smiles, but thought perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind for comedy so gave it another chance another night but the result was the same. This is really disappointing from someone I am normally a big fan of, and after seeing the mediocre Life's too short it seems he may be losing it a little, and needs to stop the slighty self-satisfied complacency and reliance on the same old types of routines and targets for his humour (race, disability, fat people etc. that as time goes on and that seems to form so much of his material that the defence of irony/laughing at those with prejudice against these targets rather than at the targets themselves seems weaker and weaker)that seems to be in his work lately. All in all very disappointing.

All Through The Night
All Through The Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden gem., 24 Sept. 2011
This review is from: All Through The Night (Audio CD)
This is an album that far more people need to hear than probably will. The whole album is consistently strong with quality songwriting throughout, and would appeal to those fans of the type of melancholic music played by the likes of Elbow and Doves. My particular favourites are Set Me Free, Song That Sorrow Sings, The Secret Chord and The Gift & The Curse, but the whole thing works as a consistent whole, rather than one of those CDs with three or four obvious highlights surrounded by filler. Not perhaps something to put on before heading out to a party, but sometimes it is good to wallow in a bit of self-indulgent sadness.....Highly recommended.

Queens Of The Stone Age
Queens Of The Stone Age

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a demo., 16 April 2011
This review is from: Queens Of The Stone Age (Audio CD)
The first Queens album I bought was Rated R, and I bought every one after that as they came out but refrained from purchasing their first one as I had the feeling it would be a work in progress, a kind of half-formed series of rough sketches as the new band found their feet. I finally bought the re-issue and have been happy to be proven wrong, as it is a very strong album up there with Rated R, though behind Songs For The Deaf which in my opinion is their strongest work. Definitely recommended.