Profile for Stephen Crocker > Reviews

Content by Stephen Crocker

Stephen Crocker (Cambridge)

Doctor Who Sound Effects (Vintage Beeb) (Vintage Beeb: Doctor Who)
Doctor Who Sound Effects (Vintage Beeb) (Vintage Beeb: Doctor Who)
by BBC
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for serious sound enthusiasts and collectors, 3 Mar. 2012
A great collection of sound effects. Although some have been released before, most of these are on CD for the first time. The only downside is that I'm now thirsty for a second volume!

Wow Stuff Doctor Who Sonic Pen
Wow Stuff Doctor Who Sonic Pen
Offered by filmwelt-shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading product description, 5 Jan. 2011
The description explicitly states that the Sonic Pen has light and sound effects and requires 2 AA batteries. Both of these statements are untrue, and may well have been the result of confusion between this product and the screwdriver by the same company.

That said, it makes a nice novelty pen, although it has a slight tendency to jam.

Western Digital My Book Edition II 4TB Dual Drive Network Storage
Western Digital My Book Edition II 4TB Dual Drive Network Storage

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for power users and normal people alike, 18 Nov. 2010
As an owner of the original version of the MyBook World (blue ring LEDs) I can say that from a technical viewpoint, this is an improvement. The web-based UI has options for turning on features such as NFS that I had to hack the previous version to do. The in-built BitTorrent client also has its uses.

From a user-friendliness viewpoint, my only gripe was that they don't give you the default password in an easily accessible location. Other than that, it integrates nicely with both Windows and Linux based environments without any need for proprietary software.

The RAID array makes the device quite heavy but it's worth it for peace of mind. Having suffered a hard drive failure in this unit's predecessor, I know only too well how important redundancy is.

For real power users, the shell is based on BusyBox. There does not seem to be a built-in C compiler (unlike the previous version) so you can't build your favourite console apps to run in the background, but I can't see many people wanting to do this anyway.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good protection but a little awkward, 14 Oct. 2010
The phone fits a bit too snugly and I've found that it doesn't go all the way down. As a result, the top band frequently obscures the very top of the touchscreen, making it difficult to respond to notifications. However, it offers good protection and the belt clip is more rigid than some I've seen.

Suunto X10 Military Outdoor Sports GPS Instrument
Suunto X10 Military Outdoor Sports GPS Instrument

3.0 out of 5 stars A good product, if a little lacking in some areas., 13 Sept. 2009
A very useful device but it has a few flaws:
1. The GPS can take over ten minutes to get a fix (if it even manages at all). My GlobalSat BT-338 is much quicker.
2. Even though it is set to record points every second, it actually records every ten seconds.
3. The finish is inclined to chip and peel, especially round the face of the watch.

Although it is more convenient than lugging a PDA and bluetooth GPS receiver around with me when I go out for a walk, it is by no means a replacement for my Palm T|X. However, it is a very handy backup when the Palm's battery runs out or I leave the bluetooth receiver at home.

I also feel that better use could be made of the barometer. The ambiguous "weather alarm" is little more than a random alert that seems to have no bearing on anything in real life.

I have not yet been able to drain the battery, which is one area where I am impressed (so far).