Profile for thevanmann > Reviews

Content by thevanmann

thevanmann

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars ..Preventing snoring and accompanying punch in back from wife, 27 Mar. 2016
I was invited to trial these vents and as someone who suffers from sleep apnea and the resulting snoring problems was pleased to try them out.
My first thought on receipt was that they were not as soft as expected, although they seemed to soften up quite quickly in use. Apparently, according to my wife, whilst they did reduce the snoring they were not as effective as the CPAP mask I normally wear.
I think that, for me, I would be happy to use them perhaps when travelling as they are much easier to transport than my normal equipment and of course if you have to pay for the equipment they are many times cheaper than the CPAP set up, which costs in the region of £800 for pump and mask etc.

White Lilies (D.I. Dylan Book 3)
White Lilies (D.I. Dylan Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Sept. 2014
I am afraid I found this disappointing after the previous two. I found the Danny and Billy characters very unconvincing along with the introduction of the new sergeant.
I had high hopes for this series but feel perhaps it has run its course

Consequences (D.I. Dylan Book 2)
Consequences (D.I. Dylan Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fine book, 31 Aug. 2014
This is another good book by the Bridgestock team, a fine follow on from Deadly Focus. It is good to see the characters develop from book to book.
The authors experiences before taking up writing are shown in the attention to detail shown in the various procedures.
I am quite confident that I will gradually work my through the whole series.

Deadly Focus (D.I. Dylan Book 1)
Deadly Focus (D.I. Dylan Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting first in series, 29 Aug. 2014
I bought this as it sounded like my type of book and,to be honest, it was cheap.
Good solid storylines and plenty of interesting characters. Whilst hardly ground-breaking it was still a good read and a promising start to what I believe to be a series, in fact, I have already bought the next two books.

Life For A Life (DCI Andy Gilchrist Book 4)
Life For A Life (DCI Andy Gilchrist Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another top outing for Andy Gilchrist, 14 Aug. 2014
This is the latest in the T.F.Muir stories featuring SCI Andy Gilchrist and is every bit as good as the 3 previous novels.
Andy has a new sidekick in this book, Jessica, who has enough secrets and a very dodgy backstory to make her an interesting continuing character.
Once again featuring the assorted lowlife that make up Scotland's underworld ,I found this a pacy thriller which kept me interested throughout.

Meet me in Malmö: The first Inspector Anita Sundström mystery (Inspector Anita Sundström Mysteries Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 14 Aug. 2014
Tried several times to get into this but to no avail. Just couldn't raise any enthusiasm. Maybe just me, as others seem to enjoy.

This Boy
This Boy

4.0 out of 5 stars Non political politicians memoir, 21 July 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
I found this, the story of Alan Johnson's early life, a moving and encouraging recollection of a desperately poor upbringing.
Abandoned by his father at an early age Johnson survived a very deprived childhood thanks to the efforts of his permanently ill mother and a particularly tough and determined sister Linda.
In the current political climate where an Eton education appears almost obligatory it was astonishing that someone from a background like this should reach high office.
Alan Johnson always struck me as a thoroughly decent, honest man who carried out his political career with great integrity. I think it is a great shame that he never challenged for the Labour leadership as I feel that he would have been, almost uniquely, a leader I would have trusted.
As a writer I think that he conveys the hardships of the working class in the slums of post-war London accurately and without the sentimentality so often employed in memoirs.
I look forward to the next instalment and thoroughly recommend this.

The Back Road
The Back Road

4.0 out of 5 stars More red herrings than your average fishmonger, 6 July 2014
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
This is the third Rachel Abbott book I have read in a row albeit out of sequence (this actually the second).
I really enjoyed this one and at different times was convinced that just about all the characters was the villain of the piece.
As before a couple of the final reveals were a bit obvious but all in all a good read and one I would recommend.
The main character, Tom Douglas, has I feel definitely improved as the series progresses.

Sleep Tight
Sleep Tight

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Only the Innocent, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
Despite being slightly disappointed with Rachael Abbott's first book I decided to give this one a try and was much more impressed. The storyline, I felt, was tighter and better paced and held my attention to the end. The twist at the end was unexpected although not terribly convincing.
All in all though I certainly enjoyed this much more And will definitely buy the other one in the series

Only the Innocent
Only the Innocent

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting themes, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
I found this an unusual style as much of the back story is told in letters from the main character.
I am afraid I found the main character unsympathetic and some of the others fairly formulaic, the appalling husband with his deep but pretty obvious secrets, the ever obliging best friend and particularly the over sympathetic policeman.
Whilst the final denouement was not entirely obvious it was also no great surprise. I have ordered another by this author as although I didn't feel entirely satisfied by this I felt there was sufficient to try another

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10