Profile for Louis the cat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Other Mrs Walker
The Other Mrs Walker

1.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than the sum of its parts, 26 Jun. 2017
I found this book really confusing and difficult to read. None of the characters were likeable or even very consistent. I persevered to the end, but I can't say it was particularly enjoyable.

PREMIUM 30mtr ROTARY WASHING LINE KIT. PERFECT FOR SMALL FAMILIES OR LIMITED GARDEN SPACE. COMPLETE WITH ZIPPED AIRER COVER AND METAL GROUND SPIKE. EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN 1 PACKAGE.
Offered by The Home Laundry Company

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last long, 26 Mar. 2017
It's a good size for a small garden or yard. But I only bought this 2 years ago and its already broken, which I don't consider good value for money. It wasn't even in heavy usage

The Bricks that Built the Houses
The Bricks that Built the Houses

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 2 Nov. 2016
This is a fresh young story with interesting characters. But the author is so in love with wordy metaphors that the text is very dense, making it really difficult to read for any length of time. I think Kate Tempest is probably a genius - but that the book needed much tougher editing to prevent it from being dragged down by purple prose.

The House at the Edge of the World
The House at the Edge of the World

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but finally unsatisfying, 6 Oct. 2016
This book is worth a read but requires a fair amount of patience from the reader. The plot takes too long to unfold and even then some things are left unexplained. It's hard to like most of the characters which makes really caring about them quite a challenge. Nevertheless I read it through and I did want to know how it ended

The Improbability of Love: SHORTLISTED FOR THE BAILEYS WOMEN'S PRIZE FOR FICTION

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 7 July 2016
This book was hard work. I have no idea how it got on to the Bailey's Prize list - the book was overlong and needed stronger editing and the lapses into purple prose were really irritating.

Things We Have in Common
Things We Have in Common

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jun. 2016
I really thought this book was disappointing. It really can't hold a candle to Gone Girl either in plotline or character development, both of which feel unfinished.

Man at the Helm
Man at the Helm

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, 17 May 2016
This review is from: Man at the Helm (Kindle Edition)
An amusing and well written book. Not great literature or the type of book I usually go for but an entertaining read and one I would recommend.

Purity
Purity

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, 1 May 2016
This review is from: Purity (Kindle Edition)
I read this because I loved The Corrections. But I struggled to finish this book. The narrative feels a bit all over the place and I didn't really find any of the characters sympathetic - or even that interesting. I read it through to the end but it was hard work at times.

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Brooklyn (Kindle Edition)
I read this because I had really enjoyed Nora Webster. If anything I think this is even better. Beautifully written and a well told story. I did not want to put it down and was sorry when it ended.

The Green Road: Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2016
The Green Road: Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2016

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Mar. 2016
I loved this book. Anne Enright has such a visual way of describing things and her observation is acute. It's a great story too

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4