Profile for Louis the cat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
How to be Both
How to be Both

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't work for me, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: How to be Both (Kindle Edition)
I was disappointed in this book. I was really interested in the more modern story but struggled with the more historical story (trying not to give too much away for those who haven't read it yet). For me, both parts of the story were incomplete and not strongly enough intertwined.

We Are Not Ourselves
We Are Not Ourselves

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 13 Feb. 2015
I loved this book. It's huge so you need to keep reading it at a reasonable pace. Some parts are beautifully written and I found myself rereading them so I could savour them. The story is quietly told of one person's life and their family relationships. In one sense not much happens - in another pretty much everything happens as we accompany the main character throughout her life's journey. I was sorry it ended but it was right to end when it did.

This One Is Mine
This One Is Mine

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: This One Is Mine (Kindle Edition)
Where to begin? If you liked where'd you go Bernadettte, I'd be very surprised indeed if you liked this. I bought it thinking it was her second novel but it is actually her first, re-released I think. If I was her, I would not have bothered. Poorly written, characters that are hard to give a damn about, ugly story - and should definitely be entered for the bad sex award.

The Awakening (Canons)
The Awakening (Canons)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 20 Dec. 2014
A great book, well ahead of its time. A beautifully written, well told story about a well drawn female character

The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Kindle Edition)
I did not find this book well written. It felt quite mannered and affected at times. But it did win an award (Waterstones book of the year or something) so I suspect I am in the minority.

The Rose Petal Beach: The Richard & Judy Bestselling Author
The Rose Petal Beach: The Richard & Judy Bestselling Author

2.0 out of 5 stars Interminable, 1 Aug. 2013
I read this because I enjoyed The Ice cream Girls. This seemed to go on forever and was not as we'll written or edited.

The Silver Linings Playbook
The Silver Linings Playbook

3.0 out of 5 stars A good quick read, 5 May 2013
I enjoyed this. Not earth shattering but engaging, well written and interesting without being too demanding. I haven't seen the film but can imagine that the book translates well - it's a good simple romantic story line.

NW
NW

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 May 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
I have read and enjoyed Zadie Smith's previous books, but found this one very patchy. There are stretches which are really well written and engaging, but the storyline has gaps in it which are unhelpful and confusing. It feels like the book has been written in several separate goes, rather than one that flows.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is the sort of book you can take on holiday and read on the beach. Its a well constructed thriller that keeps you reading. I agree with some other reviewers that the ending is a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't let that put you off as there is enough here to engage and entertain you,

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as entertaining as it tries to be, 5 April 2013
I know people who have read this book and loved it. I think you have to have a certain type of sense of humour - I found the writing style and the story very dry, and ultimately quite boring.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4