Profile for Music Fan > Reviews

Content by Music Fan

Music Fan "Mici Macko" (Kent)

Page: 1 | 2
Brain Salad Surgery
Brain Salad Surgery

3.0 out of 5 stars music fan, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Brain Salad Surgery (Audio CD)
The review by the first reviewer is incorrect. A big disappointment, this album does not contain a DVD-A with a 5.1 mix - only stereo options. Supposedly the Super Deluxe Edition contains a multi-channel audio option, but for whatever reason well beyond my belief, this Deluxe Edition does not. It has 2 CDs, and a DVD-A which has the original stereo mix, and a 2014 stereo mix. Having listened to it a couple of times, I am beginning to think that the original 2000 DVD-A does a better job. Something is missing from the Jakko Jakksyk new stereo mix. Would the 5.1 version sound better? If only I knew!

In the Court of the Crimson King, 40th Anniversary Series
In the Court of the Crimson King, 40th Anniversary Series

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Re-Issue - Well Worth It., 14 Feb. 2011
In the early 70s, I could never really get into this album. Perhaps I just wasn't ready for it, but I also remember the audio quality of the LP being not particulrly impressive. I haven't bothered playing the CD, and as I own a (not particularly rare) DVD Audio player, and have therefore only played the DVD-A so far. It really is very impressive, offering a stereo mix at 24 bit 96 Khz, or 5.1 surround at 24 bit 48 Khz on the high definition part of the disc, or a DTS stereo and 5.1 option for those wishing to play this on a "standard" DVD Video player. Some reviewers appear to be confused that this album offers a CD and a DVD Video. It doesn't - it offers a standard audio CD and a hybrid DVD Audio, which as the name suggests, is primarily an audio format. The only bit of video is a small piece showing King Crimson at Hyde Park in July 1969 perfoming part of this album. For thos ewho have decent ears and a half-decent hi-fi set-up, the DVD-A offers an amazing musical experience. The 5.1 mix is very nicely mixed, but for purists there's still the original stereo mix.

The British Are Coming [DVD AUDIO]
The British Are Coming [DVD AUDIO]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-res Music Fan, 12 Sept. 2009
Like the previous reviewer, I thought that for just under a fiver it was worth the gamble. Was it worth the money? Yes - most definately. I'm prepared to agree that this album is probably not the best way to show off the performance of the DVD-A format, but I'll stick my neck out and say that I've never heard these tracks sound so good. It may sound contradictory of me to say, but if this had been my very first DVD-A, I would have perhaps wondered what all the fuss was about this format. Being though that I've bought many DVD-As and SACDs over the past 5 years, I feel I have the experience to take into account the possible limitations of the source material, and admire this album for what it is. I'm hearing things on most of these tracks that I've never been able to hear before on vinyl or CD, and reckon that there's no better way to listen to them. I was surprised to see that all of these tracks have been given the 5.1 treatment, which may seem odd to some, but it's extremely subtle and works well. There is not a stereo option on this disc, but it doesn't really bother me as the multi-channel mix has been done so well - it just adds ambience. This is rather like the Elvis Presley 30 No.1 Hits DVD-A. I suppose the only criticism I could level at this release, is that it's rather short on music, having just over 47 minutes on it. That seems very odd to me, bearing in mind the storage capacity of this format - surely at least another 20 minutes would have been possible? Other Silverline DVD-As have around double this amount of music on them. If you've already discovered the hi-res formats, and like the kind of music on offer on this album, I couldn't imagine someone being dissapointed. If you can get it for under a tenner, it's a bargain!

Love [Digipack With Bonus DVDA 5.1 Surround Sound]
Love [Digipack With Bonus DVDA 5.1 Surround Sound]

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last! The Beatles on DVD Audio!! Absolutely Stunning!!!, 15 Jan. 2008
I have to admit to not having read the excellent and accurate Amazon review before ordering this album. It's probably good that I didn't, because I might just have been put off the idea of a "medley" type album of The Beatles music. The whole idea wouldn't have seemed quite right to me. Anyway, on the strength of some online reviews, I ordered my copy in December 2007. I'm so glad that I bought this album, as the DVD-A part really does shine. The clarity and complexity of these old recordings on this modern digital format are a joy. I have a DVD Audio capable machine, and therefore have only played that disc in the high resolution MLP format. I used to think that pop music wasn't really suited (wasted even) on DVD-A - how wrong I was! As the Amazon reveiw mentions, there's something old here, and something new.

There seems hardly any point in criticising this release. About the only slightly (almost not worth it) things I would say are, "Why wasn't it released as a hybrid SACD & DVD-A album in a lovely Super Jewel Box, instead of the cardboard box "digipack" that it comes in?"

More releases like this are needed for the people out there that appreciate top quality audio. Music that is to be listened to, rather than just heard.

Time Out
Time Out

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Superb Brubeck SACD, 8 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Time Out (Audio CD)
Below is the review I recently posted on Amazon.com for the Dave Brubeck Take Five SACD. I really felt I should post the reveiw on Amazon.co.uk also, as there appear to be reviews which relate only to the CD release - same story with US Amazon. Surely there must be others out there that could stand up for this superb SACD album??!!

Although I'm not what I consider to be a great fan of jazz, I have enjoyed Dave Brubeck's music for quite some time. For the last two and a half years or so, I have bought almost only high resolution music (DVD-A or SACD), and was determined to buy this disc soon. For a short while, several years ago, I owned the standard CD version of this album - until I donated it to my father-in-law. For anyone reading this reveiw, I can confirm that there is little comparison possible between the CD version of this album, and this SACD version. Please note; this is an SACD, and not an SACD hybrid. This means that a dedicated SACD player is required for playback, unlike the hybrid SACDs where at least the CD layer can be accessed with a standard CD player. If you have an SACD player, and a half-decent set of speakers, I can't imagine how anyone would fail to be impressed. The clarity of the recording, and it's 3-dimensionalism is amazing. It is really like having someone play in your living room. For those interested, this disc offers a stereo and a 5.1 audio option, and comes packaged in a "standard CD" jewel case - unlike many SACDs which come in so-called "Super Jewel Boxes". My universal disc player is set to default to multi-channel playback wherever possible on SACDs or DVD-A, and I have therefore not listened to this disc in stereo. The multi-channel mix though is very subtle, and most of the sound comes from the front speakers, leaving the rear speakers to help create a surround effect. This works perfectly well on this disc, and I coudn't imagine how it would work any other way.

If you like Dave Brubeck and have an HD audio player, go out an buy this album. If you don't yet own an HD audio player, go out and buy one! It's high time that the standard CD hurried up and died, and made way for music only on the hi-res formats such as SACD or DVD-A!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2010 11:36 PM BST

Minimum - Maximum
Minimum - Maximum

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic - Superb SACD Example, 13 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
I read the previous person's review, just days after I'd taken delivery of my new copy of Minimum:Maximum. I couldn't help but smile, and agree with everything that was mentioned. Yes; you really shouldn't play this album too often - but when you do play it, I can't imagime how it wouldn't amuse. He's confused!!!!? I'm even more confused! I'm not even a great Kraftwerk fan, although I have found some of their music quite engaging. This album is such an excellent example for the multi-channel SACD (read hi-resolution audio) format, and I just couldn't imagine how someone wouldn't be impressed. With a half-decent 5.1 speaker system, you really are at a concert, and the album is overtly surround - but to hell with it - it really suits the music! It's magic! I feel very sorry for the people that can just play the CD version. Why did they bother to release a CD and an SACD version, when this album is a hybrid. This should keep everybody happy. Didn't the record company have faith in this format? If you're able to, go out and buy it - you're unikely to be disappointed if you thik you like Kraftwerk just a bit. Top marks for hi-res multi-channel audio, and top marks to Kraftwerk!

Night In Paris (London Philharmonic Orchestra) [DVD AUDIO]
Night In Paris (London Philharmonic Orchestra) [DVD AUDIO]
Offered by tunesonline

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Pleasant Album - but not a DVD Audio, 8 Mar. 2007
This is really a very pleasant disc, and extremely good value. I bought it thinking it was a DVD-A, and also because I thought I'd like the music. Does it matter that it's not a DVD-A? Well yes and no. This disc deserves actually a 5 star rating, but I've given it 4 because it's a DVD-V parading as a DVD-A. Nowhere on the disc or jewel case does it mention DVD Audio, but it leads you to think that it is. Amazon are also advertising it as such. In the end though, do I like the music and quality of the recordings? Yes!

Singles 1969-1981
Singles 1969-1981

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous!, 7 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Singles 1969-1981 (Audio CD)
Up until now, I have only had DVD-As for my high-resolution audio. This album, my first SACD was bought for me last Christmas, and I'm extremely impressed with it. Like the two previous reviewers, I'm amazed at the quality of the sound - it's clarity and depth. Unlike the previous reviewer, I'm not yet convinced that either SACD or DVD-A are dead. I really don't see why they both can't survive. According to what we keep hearing, sales of CDs are falling, but what is the music industry doing about it?! Practically nothing! The music industry should be promoting these formats.

Aero
Aero

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous!, 8 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
This is the disc that got me interested in DVD Audios. Now I know that it's not - strictly speaking - a DVD-A, but rather a DVD Video (with standard CD), but it's still extremely impressive and if it gets others interested in DVD-A, then all the better. My wife bought me this album as a Christmas present a couple of years ago, and I'm very pleased she did. I probably wouldn't have bought it for myself, as I have a lot of the music featured on the disc on earlier CD releases of Jean Michel Jarre. This disc is still different though, and the quality of the sound from the DVD in either DD or DTS 5.1 mode is nothing short of incredible. I can't see how anyone couldn't be impressed with this release. I do ask myself, however, why he bothered to include a CD, and why he didn't include a DVD-A track on the DVD, instead of the rather dull actresses face (eyes and nose) that look from side to side every so often - that plays when the video option is selected. A half-decent hi-fi set up is all that's needed to enjoy this, together with an appreciation of JMJ's music.

Four Seasons (London Mozart Players, Juritz) [DVD AUDIO]
Four Seasons (London Mozart Players, Juritz) [DVD AUDIO]

5.0 out of 5 stars A First Class DVD-A Release, 26 Aug. 2006
There's not a lot more that I can add to what's already been said, but I'm also very impressed with this DVD-A. This happens to be another of my first DVD-As, and a good choice it was. I haven't been able to listen to the high-res option on this DVD, as I only have a standard DVD-V machine, but even so, the quality of the recording is extremely impressive.

Page: 1 | 2