Profile for Fermat > Reviews

Ayoade on Ayoade
Ayoade on Ayoade
by Richard Ayoade

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, sometimes too clever, and funny., 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Ayoade on Ayoade (Paperback)
If you were looking for someone to write a script for a short film in which two characters, a University professor and a farm labourer have a discussion, where the professor thinks they are talking about a 'missing scene', whereas the labourer (correctly) knows that the subject is mise-en-scène, film criticism's "grand undefined term" ...

Anyway if you were looking for someone, you would not choose Richard Ayoade, because he would write a full length feature. This book contains a number of anecdotes, many related to film, especially to the film Ayoade directed, an adaptation of one of Dostoyevsky's lesser known works.

This book will irritate many, because it takes 'trying to be clever' to ridiculous extremes. I found it very enjoyable and want to be Ayoade's friend. Actually, I would rather be friends with Maurice Moss, the character in The IT Crowd played by Ayoade. Maurice is shy and doesn't say much. I have a feeling that Ayoade rarely shuts up. 5 stars from me!

Manchester United: A Complete Record, 1878-1992 (Complete Record Series)
Manchester United: A Complete Record, 1878-1992 (Complete Record Series)
by Ian Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Manchester United records book, but only goes up to 1992., 6 Mar. 2016
The definitive record of Manchester United prior to the Premiership era. Best United book of this kind.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Appreciated present, 6 Mar. 2016
Present. Was liked very much by the recipient.

PFA Player's Records 1946-2015
PFA Player's Records 1946-2015
by Barry J. Hugman

3.0 out of 5 stars This book has the Premier and Football League records of ..., 6 Mar. 2016
This book has the Premier and Football League records of all players (as far as I can tell) and therefore delivers exactly what it promises to deliver. I have compared with other records books and online resources and have been unable to find a mistake so far.

However a player's career is defined not just by his number of league appearances and goals, which is all that is available here. The statistics about cup appearances (domestically or in European competition) are simply not offered. Therefore a very incomplete picture of the players' careers is presented.

The book is a starting point for research. That is all. I regret the purchase and wish I had read the description and small print more carefully.

The Dating Game
The Dating Game
by Lucy Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Sage advice, but will girls take it?!, 11 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Dating Game (Hardcover)
It must have been difficult to arrive on the Made in Chelsea scene,where the others all knew each other. She seemed very odd at first and was given a very hard time. Bloggers nicknamed her 'Robot Lucy' because she showed little emotion or variation of facial expression. She grew on me though, because she is straight-talking and sticks to her guns. After or maybe even alongside Binky, she is probably my second ( or joint first) MiC favourite.

The book has a very simple style and is full of useful advice for girls. The main focus seems to be trying to help young girls not to be played by players. This is not a misandrist (man-hating) bible, because Lucy has clearly loved men, even those who didn't treat her well. It does advise about warning signs, dos and don'ts, how to sections (how to plan first date, break up, get over someone). The advice is clear and precise. Of course, girls (and boys) in love always feel that their relationship is unique and special and may not be interested in the advice of a minor celebtity. However if one girl avoids tears or heartache or even just avoids SOME of the pain, this book has served its purpose.

Sightseers [DVD] [2012]
Sightseers [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Alice Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor Poppy!, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Sightseers [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This is very dark in places. British blacker than black humour at its best. The additional appeal for me was that I had visited so many of the tourist spots visited in the film. As I lived in the Midlands for a while, I loved the accents of the main characters. Gruesome at times, so not for the faint-hearted!

Being Binky
Being Binky
by Binky Felstead

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely girl, great book, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Being Binky (Paperback)
Ms Felstead discusses her learning difficulties early in the book, so she has either overcome them, or has a very good ghostwriter. Simple (in a good way), fast paced and interesting from cover to cover. I would have preferred a little more dirt and detail about the show 'Made in Chelsea', but thoroughly enjoyed the book. I could almost hear Binky's voice when I was reading it. She comes across as a lovely girl and a wonderful human being, not without tiny flaws, but who wants perfection?! Along with Millie and Lucy (who I thought weird at first, but she grew on me fast), Binky was my favourite of the MiC cast. Why such wonderful young ladies are so insecure and let plonkers like Alex and Jamie Biscuits treat them like sh*t, I will never know. Don't be arrogant, ladies, but know just how fantastic you are!

Friday Night Dinner: Series 3 [DVD] [2015]
Friday Night Dinner: Series 3 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Tamsin Greig

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 9 Feb. 2016
Some very good episodes here. One of my favourite tv shows. Jim is the star for me!

Ladies I'm Not A Princess I'm A Khaleesi Targaryen Sleep Set (White, Black Print) (U.K. Size 14-16)
Offered by Ryware

5.0 out of 5 stars Product was appreciated!, 9 Feb. 2016
Was a present. Recipient loves it and says quality is excellent!

Made In Chelsea Logo Ceramic Mug
Made In Chelsea Logo Ceramic Mug

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is meant to do!, 9 Feb. 2016
I don't even remember ordering this and can't imagine what I was thinking at the time! The pink is a darker shade than I see here on the Amazon website. However it does the job it was intended for. Tea tastes just as good out of this as out of any of my other mugs!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4