Profile for readerian > Reviews

readerian

Shantaram
Shantaram

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and absorbing, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Shantaram (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book on recommendation just before leaving for holiday in India. I visited Colaba and Leopolds bar when in Mumbai, motivated by the book. I found myself wholly absorbed by so much of the story and dazzled but the intricate and rolling prose, as much as the vast variety of characters, all of whom were SO believable. The philosophical deviations and lectures in the story were tiresome at some points but as I have just finished the book I find myself with an image of Prabu engraved in me more than any other. What a life the narrator has had if only a fraction of that written is based on true experiences. I have already recommended this book to others. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will miss it!

Redemption (In Her Name Book 8)
Redemption (In Her Name Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but............, 28 Oct. 2013
Great book and an absorbing read but i felt the story line faded and became less credible, then dragged, about 2/3rds through. Basically, the Kreelans suddenly became more vulnerable than was realistically possible and the political scenario described for the confederation was weak with so much corruption as to be not really believable. Still, I galloped through this book at a fast pace, as I have all others by Michael Hicks, whose overall plot and military engagement descriptions paint a vivid picture.

Legend Of The Sword (In Her Name, Book 2)
Legend Of The Sword (In Her Name, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars very absorbing, 4 Oct. 2013
i liked this book.........a lot.

I bought "First Contact" for a holiday read on the sun drenched beaches of Cyprus, liked it so much that I immediately bought 'Legend of The Sword" and read that even faster. I am now on my 4th Michael Hicks novel and love the style, pace and story line. A common criticism of the books after the first is that there is sometimes too much descriptive and there is also repetition of aspects of the characters background and history, but I guess that reflects a need for each book to be stand alone as well as a component in a long, developing story line. a cracking good read and totally absorbing.

I've almost started liking the Kreelans, despite the fact that they are systematically exterminating humanity!

Ex-Pro High Power Plus+ Lithium Ion Digital Camera Replacement Battery for Olympus SH-50 iHS/Tough TG-1 iHS/TG-2 iHS/XZ-2 iH

4.0 out of 5 stars happy, 25 July 2013
as described and fine. otherwise struggling to get to 16 words discussion about a camera battery! seems four more words needed!!

Performance Solid Rash Tee Short Sleeve Men's Skins X-Large Dresden Blue
Performance Solid Rash Tee Short Sleeve Men's Skins X-Large Dresden Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars happy, 25 July 2013
a bit tighter than the outgoing top of same make and marked size, but then again perhaps i stretched the old one!

SPIGEN iPhone SE/5S/5 Case Protective [Neo Hybrid] [Dante Red] Slim Fit Dual Protection Cover for SE/5S/5 (SGP10363)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy, 25 July 2013
the 'web' pattern on the inside is superfluous as you can't see it when the 'phone is in the case (all the time). anyway, for me, this purchase is spot on and just what I wanted. the snappy red edging means it will got "camouflage" itself into black tables and get left behind! And...........it arrived almost the next day despite a note saying up to 5 days.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2013 7:22 PM BST

The Power Behind The Throne
The Power Behind The Throne

4.0 out of 5 stars feedback, 4 May 2012
A bit unlikely but an easy read in the sunshine. I enjoyed reading this and the characters were well put together, credible and comprehensively described.