Profile for Matt Wilson > Reviews

Content by Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson "mattwi1s0n" (MANCHESTER UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
DCR-SR50E/NON 1Mpix MPEG USB SILVER
DCR-SR50E/NON 1Mpix MPEG USB SILVER

1.0 out of 5 stars Not if you have a Mac!, 15 Mar. 2007
I'll keep it simple: Very poor quality imaging and totally incompatible with iMovie or Final Cut (for the tecchies this is due to 'muxed mpeg 2 codec'). It may be a while yet before Hard Disk recording catches up with tape, the compression just ruins the picture. Nice idea but waste of time.

Journey to the East
Journey to the East
by Hermann Hesse

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 14 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Journey to the East (Paperback)
This little book totally captivated my attention, my imagination and my emotion. I found the book worked for me on two distinctly different levels...

Firstly, it is one of the best allegories of leadership that I have ever read. The intrepid group undertaking the Journey to the East (a spiritual rather than geographic destination) are having a ball until one day they notice that one of their servants in missing. The realisation dawns on them that they all in various ways depend on this servant, Leo. He models lightness of spirit, he offers a listening ear and words of wisdom, and in his luggage he seems to carry all the important things required for the journey. Without him the journey becomes impossible - Leo was a true leader - not in name but in character.

Secondly, it is a book about loss: losing faith, losing youth and losing innocence. But unlike many books Hesse doesn't end there. He hints at what lies beyond... there are rays of hope for every reader who, like the writer, has faced the despair of age and asked, "Are my the best moments now behind me?" Hesse seems to be suggesting that whilst the answer may well be yes, that doesn't mean there's nothing to look forward to.

The Urban Christian
The Urban Christian
by Ray Bakke

5.0 out of 5 stars A Groundbreaking Classic, 14 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Urban Christian (Paperback)
Written nearly 20 years ago The Urban Christian still feels really fresh. It was during the civil rights unrest of the 1960's that Ray Bakke and his young family moved into a poverty-stricken Chicago neighbourhood. Ray and his family are of Scandinavian descent, blonde hair, blue eyes, quite a novelty in their new neighbourhood.

I think the book's great because Ray is so matter of fact about his approaches to living out his faith in the inner city. In one example he talks about riots breaking out in the days after Martin Luther King's assassination. How did Ray respond to burning shops, cars and houses? Well, he grabbed his baseball bat, called his 2 young sons, and headed out onto the streets to round up the rioters for an impromptu game of softball!!!

To be honest, if I have any criticism of the book its that it didn't have enough stories like the softball story, it's like you know they're in there just waiting to burst out of the pages. However, Ray, for whatever reason, largely avoids that. Instead, very humbly and very methodically he sets out a pathway for readers to follow in his footsteps - perhaps not to Chicago, but to whatever city God's voice calls them to.

Generous Orthodoxy, A: Why I am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, ... Emergent, Unfinished Christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, 14 Mar. 2007
Judging by the photo of him on the cover Brian McLaren would probably make a very good Santa. However, unlike our festive father McLaren seems to be a guy with as many enemies as friends. Whatever you might've heard about him good or bad I'd advise you to approach this book with a genuinely open mind. (wasn't it Frank Zappa who said 'A mind is like a parachute - it won't work if it's not open!')

It's fair to say that Generous Orthodoxy will most likely appeal to non-conformists - it begins with Chapter 0 which immediately appealed to the non-conformist in me (how shallow am I?). But seriously, right off the bat this book is full of superb insights for the contemporary Jesus follower. McLaren freely admits to being fairly unoriginal but quite good at collecting other people's thoughts, which is a fair self-assessment. For instance he cites Tom Wright, as follows:

"We best understand something not merely by critiquing, dissecting and doubting it, but by trusting, loving and respecting it. In fact, when critiquing and questioning come in the context of love, they yield even more insight than otherwise."

Take Tom's advice and apply it to Generous Orthodoxy. From the moment you pick up this book make a decision that you're going to love it. If you do, I promise you will. The deeper you dig into this book the more you'll get out of it, don't just skim it, enjoy every word - and that includes the footnotes too!

by Brian D. McLaren

The Twilight Of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
The Twilight Of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
by Alister McGrath

4.0 out of 5 stars The Twilight of Ignorance, 10 Mar. 2007
This book came out a few years ago but having just read it I found myself wondering how I ever got by without it. Alister McGrath gives an enthralling account of 'the rise and fall of disbelief in the modern world'. He bookends a 200 year 'atheistic golden age' with two critical events from European history - 1789: the storming of the Bastille and 1989: the fall of the Berlin wall, "The fall of the Bastille became a symbol of the viability and creativity of a Godless world, just as the fall of the Berlin Wall later symbolized a growing recognition of the uninhabitability of such a place."

As a non-academic who might potentially be scared off by a book by a professor I found McGrath's style very accessible whilst remaining very thorough. Probably the main reason I became hooked this book was because on almost every page I felt I was learning something new. When I use the word learning I don't mean just factual knowledge, no, this book has helped me hugely in understanding and making sense of the world we live in - and my place in it. For me the Twilight of Atheism became the Twilight of Ignorance having filled many of the gaps in my historical knowledge.

The book's Everest is probably the section on Post-modernity, which sets out the new context of contemporary pluralism. The age of empires is over. History has shown that neither religious nor atheist regimes can be trusted with absolute power - it corrupts absolutely and leads to brutal and oppressive outcomes. The viability of our existence is proportional to the measure of our ability to co-exist. Maybe we can?

A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, ... Emergent, Unfinished Christian (Emergent YS)
by Brian D. McLaren

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, 10 Mar. 2007

Take Tom's advice. From the moment you pick up this book make a decision that you're going to love it. If you do, I promise you will. The deeper you dig into this book the more you'll get out of it, don't just skim it, enjoy every word - and that includes the footnotes too!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7