Profile for Naomi's Book Reviews > Reviews

Content by Naomi's Book R...

Naomi's Book Reviews (London, UK)

Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often To Become a More Creative, Productive, and Successful Artist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 22 Dec. 2014
I read this book cover to cover within 48 hours it is jam packed with information, and is great for artists looking for inspiration, helpful tips for selling online. A must read for any artist! Now to put everything into practice. Thanks Carol this has been so helpful 😊

Raven: A Delirium Short Story (Ebook) (Delirium Series)
Raven: A Delirium Short Story (Ebook) (Delirium Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Raven - Short Story, 14 Mar. 2013
This is a short story giving insight into Raven the leader of the group Lena stays with in the wilds. During pandemonium Raven is pretty guarded so you do not get to know to much about her. This short story is basically to give you more insight into her character and you get to find out about her relationship with Tack. There is also a little something, something going on that will come to light in requiem I won't spoil it for those that have not read Raven.

This is a very quick read ideal as a gap filler just before requiem.

ABC Flash Cards (An Illustrated alphabet book for kids 1)
ABC Flash Cards (An Illustrated alphabet book for kids 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars On the go Learning!, 20 May 2012
My son is 4 yrs old and he is into learning his alphabet and numbers etc, i downloaded these flashcards onto my Kindle when they were free and i went through them with my son and he got each one correct, i think these are handy for journeys when you need to keep your little one entertained with something constructive. Also they are better than having the individual cards which kids quickly destroy, Great idea!

I Could Be, You Could Be PB
I Could Be, You Could Be PB
by Karen Owen

3.0 out of 5 stars I could be, You could be, 20 May 2012
I recieved this book for my son and he has just turned 4 yrs old which i think is about the right age for this book, i feel the illustrations in the book are quite advanced for a younger child to understand therefore i would probably recommend this book for 4-5yrs old to be able to engage in the book properly. I do think it is a nice book and different from a lot of the other children books around.

Torn
Torn
by Cat Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Torn by Cat Clarke, 15 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Torn (Paperback)
Torn is a UK YA fiction book which makes a change from all the American YA Fiction i have been reading, Torn has a brilliant story line I was hooked from the first page.

Cat has written Torn from first person perspective which I love because i could really get into the story. Her writing style makes me feel familiar with everything she describes and how she describes it. Her characters are very realistic.

Alice is the main character and I really like her, she is a nice girl but not to nice, I think Cat done well with all the emotions Alice went through in the book. The themes that were covered in the book were mainly death related, Cat covered 3 different types of deaths very well, I think it helped that it was from first person perspective it takes some skill to make it all sound realistic, I was not surprised when i read up that Cat is an experienced writer and is the co-founder of a literary agency.

Alice's dad was another of my favourite characters, i liked his and Alice's relationship he was not only a father to Alice but also a friend, he seemed to have the right balance with her.

I enjoyed Polly's character i was very intrigued at how her character developed through the book, i really did not expect her to develop the way she did in the book.

I loved the whole book and everything about it, if Cat decides to write a follow on from this book i would be the first to buy it. Torn tells a story of how easily things can go terribly wrong, and that hiding a serious secret will eat you up inside until it can never be a secret anymore...

If you love young adult fiction then you will love this book, I think it is something different from the typical YA fiction that is out right now, just what we need to break away from the same vampire and fairy stuff being churned out.

The Book of Eli [DVD]
The Book of Eli [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts on the film; Book of Eli, 4 April 2010
This review is from: The Book of Eli [DVD] (DVD)
Synopsis:
In a post-apocalyptic America where the once-picturesque countryside has become a desolate and violent wasteland, one man (Denzel Washington) fights to protect that sacred tome that could hold the key to the survival of the human race in this futuristic thriller from filmmaking duo Albert and Allen Hughes (FROM HELL and MENACE II SOCIETY). Gary Oldman (LEON), Mila Kunis (FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL), and Ray Stevenson (TV's ROME) co-star.

My thoughts:
The film is about Eli (Denzel) who has been walking for 30 years in possession of the only remaining St James bible in existence after a war which practically destroyed everything (post-apocalyptic) The film started of like I am legend with Denzel alone on his travels, then it moves along swiftly when he comes to a city, and you then start to find out what the film is all about and the action starts.

There are a good few action scenes scattered throughout the film, some scenes a little disturbing, this is definitely a gruel some film, rough and boisterous, yet the storyline was very simple and the film did not go of track from the plot. Although the film had a serious storyline there were hint's of humour here and there to lighten the mood a bit.

I have always rated Denzel's acting he is brilliant in all of his films and this one is no exception, this is definitely not Denzel's usual type of acting role but never the less he did a good job. I am not that familiar with Ray Stevenson, but I enjoyed his acting in this film, any fans of his will not be disappointed.

Overall I enjoyed the film there was enough to keep me interested from the start I watch it with my partner and he enjoyed it just as much. This is definitely a mature film it contains violence, swearing and action, definitely recommended for anyone that likes Denzel and rough action films.
BOOK OF ELI (2010) Poster - (Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman) Double sided REGULAR US ONE SHEET - ORIGINAL CINEMA POSTER (69cm x 104cm)

Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4 (Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Without giving to much away this is my opinion of the Twilight Saga..., 22 Mar. 2010
Synopsis: To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan.

Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fate of two tribes hangs.

Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in Twilight, then scattered and torn in New Moon and Eclipse - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed...forever?

My thoughts on the Main Characters:

Bella: I enjoyed her character overall but i certainly got irritated with her quite a few times, the way she treated Alice, her negative attitude about nearly everything, her reclusiveness, her dress sense.
Although weak and soppy it is what held the story together it created the suspense and the love triangle between her, Jacob and Edward more intense. I did feel that her feelings could have developed a bit sooner beyond just the crushes, most teenagers are much more interested in exploring there feelings in a more sexual way than Bella was. I enjoyed Bella's character mostly in the last book Breaking Dawn.

Edward: I found Edward strange but intriguing, his character was the one i related to the least but the one i was most fasinated with. Way to over protective to the point of ridiculous.

Jacob: I preferred Jacob over Edward i was rooting for Jacob, i enjoyed his abbruptness and roughness, i felt that he was developed very well and enjoyed reading about him very much. I really enjoyed reading things from Jacobs perspective, he make me snicker quite a lot. I think Stephanie was spot on with his character he was consistent and entertaining all the way through i think Stephanie really done well conveying his character especially as she is a woman.

Alice: Loved Alice's character, she was very fun and i loved the way she could see things before they happened, the way she used this with Bella was very fun and her obsession with Bellas dress sense was amusing.

Charlie: I loved Charlies Character and how his character developed through the books, there were lots of Charlie bits in the book that made me laugh! And the way he was about Edward was quite funny.

Billie: It was not made very clear in the series what billies roles was in the whole wolf pack thing, i found his character a bit vague, it was not until later on in the series my questions about him were answered. I could not get to grips with him.

Renee: I think her character was the least developed and not conveyed very well, i did not get her and bella's relationship i felt that it could of been conveyed better. Although she was not ment to be a main character in the book when she was involved there was not much to her i felt her character could of been a bit stronger.

The volutri: I Loved the way Stephanie wrote about them very detailed and well thought out, their part in the series flowed very well i was not left with any questions or confused about anything, i found them fasinating and enjoyed the confrontation in the last book.

The Plot (on whole saga):

I enjoyed the story line very much, there was a lot of suspense. I did feel out of all of the books that the second book in the series New Moon dragged things out a bit with Edward and Bella, although at the time of reading the book i was completely absorbed but now looking back after reading the next book i can say it was dragged out a lot.

The whole Edward treating Bella like she was going to crumble at the slightest touch was slightly over the top.

I usually do not read vampire books so do not know much detail about them, i felt that Stephanie explained well about the workings of the vampires in her series, and provided good detailed history about the cullens and the way things worked in their 'world' that it was easy for me to follow and understand everything that was going on.

I thought the whole series was very well written and she kept everything on a realistic enough tone, You could easily relate to everyone in the book and their relationships with each other.

There was constantly something new going on which is why the books are so gripping, there was never a part where i felt bored with it.
'Eclipse' was definitely one of the best books i think i held my breath all the way through, full of suspense i was hard pressed to put it down.

Breaking Dawn was excellent very gripping all the way through, but the one critiscm i have about this book in particular, is the size of the hard back they basically put two books into one hardback book, i read on my way to and from work so i found carrying around such a large hardback book a nusience and i think it should just have been published in the two seperate books.

Overall this series was one of my top all time favourites, loved every minute of them and thought stephanie Meyers writing was superb. If you have not read the Twilight series i definitely recommend them, be prepared to get hooked!

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga)

6x BLACKBERRY 8900 CURVE SCREEN PROTECTOR
6x BLACKBERRY 8900 CURVE SCREEN PROTECTOR

3.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry curve screen cover, 9 Mar. 2010
This product's advertisement is a bit hyped up, i had to apply the proctector a few timesTHE88 - BLACKBERRY 8900 CURVE SCREEN PROTECTOR and really work to smooth the air bubbles out it is still not perfect but is doing the job of protecting my screen.

Craftsman Table With 2 Chairs
Craftsman Table With 2 Chairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Craftsman table with 2 chairs, 9 Mar. 2010
I am extremely pleased with not only the tables and chairs but also the service.

I recieved them the following day, i did not request next day delivery, communication was excellent.

I put the tables and chairs together within 2 hours would have been much quicker if my son was not trying to grab everything. VERY easy to assemble i was very impressed as i dread having to assemble furniture as it takes up so much time.

They are very sturdy, easy to keep clean my son loves them, i can see they will last him a good few years. Maybe our next one will be joining him at the table!Craftsman Table With 2 Chairs