Profile for George > Reviews

Content by George

George (Oxford, United Kingdon)

Watchman Sonic Oil Level Monitor
Watchman Sonic Oil Level Monitor
Offered by jh direct

4.0 out of 5 stars This one is easy to install and setup, 6 Aug. 2015
I got this to replace an old Night Watchman oil level sensor which had stopped working. This one is easy to install and setup. I've only had it for a few months, but it seems to give accurate readings. Best of all though, the sensor that sits on your oil tank takes CR2032 batteries, not those mind-blowing expensive power tubes which the old Night Watchman used.

AmazonBasics 10-Inch Black Sleeve for iPad Air
AmazonBasics 10-Inch Black Sleeve for iPad Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Inexpensive Case, 6 Aug. 2015
I bought the 10" sleeve for my Toshiba Click Mini. Both the tablet a keyboard dock fit snuggle in the case. The case itself is well made. The padding isn't too thick but will protect your tablet/laptop from scrapes and bumps, but probably not from being dropped from any great height.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Flip Cover Case - Light Blue
Samsung Galaxy S4 Flip Cover Case - Light Blue
Offered by Genuine Providers

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, and good value, 1 Sept. 2014
Nice case, and good value. It replaces the back battery cover on your Galaxy, so it fits very well (and I don't feel too bad if the back gets scratched. However, as a result it doesn't protect the camera lens. The front screen cover is felt underneath and fits nicely over the screen. It would be nice to have some sort of magnet in the cover which would automatically wake up the phone when you open it, but I guess that would make it more expensive.

Accessotech USB 2.0 to RS232 Serial Port DB9 9 Pin Male Converter Adapter Cable PDA GPS
Offered by SellerVision

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Cheap!, 1 Sept. 2014
Good device, and great value. Does what it says on the tin, as it were. I plugged the RS232 adapter in to my laptop and the correct driver was installed automatically (Windows 8.1 64-bit). I didn't have to use the enclosed CD or go hunting for drivers. The only minor annoyance with the device is that it uses a different COM port every time I plug it in, so I have to open Device Manager to figure out which one to use.

Moonar Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool ELM327 Mini Interface V1.5 Bluetooth Version OBD2 (A)
Offered by DETEX Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, 1 Sept. 2014
Great little device. It plugged in to the OBDII port on my 2009 VM Tiguan. I was able to pair my Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 1020) with it and read all of the diagnostic data from my car using an app called "Diagnose your car". It cost £.149, although there is a free version available (probably with ads or limited functionality; I didn't try it). The only two minor niggles I had were that, when I disconnected and reconnected the device to my car, I had to go to my phone's Bluetooth settings and tap on the device to re- connect; it didn't happen automatically. Secondly, it seems to take a couple of minutes to read data from the car. The first time I tried to use the app I thought it wasn't working, but all of the data appeared after about a minute and then updated in real-time.

Apparently this device also works well with Torque Pro on Android phones/tablets. I haven't tried the laptop software on the CD that came with it.

Finally, a note to iOS users: this device will not work with iPhones, iPads and iPods. This is Apple's fault. Apple does not allow the required Bluetooth profile needed to pair with this device (but you can apparently jailbreak your iDevice and get it to work that way). So don't be put off by all of those one-star reviews from iDevice owners who say it doesn't work!!!

All You Need Is Kill
All You Need Is Kill

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 9 Jun. 2014
I'm not much of a book reader. I only came across this book after seeing the film (Edge of Tomorrow). But, I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you have seen Edge of Tomorrow, the film only really borrows the central concepts from the book (war, aliens, travel back in time when you die), it doesn't follow the story line and leaves out most of the characters. So you won't be reading it thinking you know exactly how it's going to end. I found the whole thing pretty original and thoroughly engaging. Highly recommended!

Nokia C3 Graphite - 2 MP Camera Bluetooth Mobile Phone on Vodafone PAYG
Nokia C3 Graphite - 2 MP Camera Bluetooth Mobile Phone on Vodafone PAYG

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Phone, 24 Sept. 2010
This is a great phone for the money. For £70 you get features that you find on phones three times the price. You get push e-mail, Wi-fi, a decent, QVGA screen and a qwerty keyboard. I can't fault the design; it's compact, light and very sturdy. The keyboard really is good. Maybe not quite as good as the keyboards you get on Blackberries, but you do have dedicated keys for things like full stops and commas, whereas on Blackberries you have to hold down a function key and press something else to get them.

The desktop sync software is great too. Make sure you use Nokia PC Suite, not Ovi Suite. Ovi Suite is supposed to be the newest desktop software for Nokia phones, but bizzarely removes features that are present in PC Suite and is very buggy. You can view all of your calendar and contact information, install apps, sync music, sync with Outlook and even send and receive SMS messages via your phone. I have my phone connected to my PC via Bluetooth so whenever I walk in range it connects automatically. I don't even have to plug it in.

The only thing that really lets down the package is some of the software on the phone. It uses Series 40 rather than Series 60, which you get on the higher end Nokia phones. It's easy to navigate around, but some options (such as wi-fi and Bluetooth) are buried deep in menus and can't be accessed quickly. Nokia have included a new Messaging app, for push e-mail from your Hotmail/Yahoo/etc. e-mail accounts, and an app called Communities, for Twitter and Facebook access. These all work well, but are a bit sluggish and the integration with the rest of the phone is not great. For example, from the Photos app (where you can view all of the photos taken with the built-in camera) there are options to send via e-mail and upload to the web. The e-mail option is for the Mail app (which is different from the Messaging app, it only allows POP3 access to e-mail services and has to be synced manually), so unless you set up your Hotmail/Yahoo account here as well, you can't e-mail photos this way (you have to open the Messaging app and attach to a new e-mail from there). The web upload feature allows you to upload to Flickr, but not Facebook. The Communities Facebook app allows you to upload pictures, but only from the Gallery app (another image viewer on the phone), not the Photos app. There is no way to transfer photos from the Photos app to the Gallery app. One final minor complaint is that there is no multi-tasking; you can't choose which apps to run in the background. Series 40 doesn't support multi-tasking, although the instant messaging app and the music app can both be left running in the background while you use other apps, so it would be nice to be able to run a couple of other apps in the background as well.

I realise I have spent most of this review griping about the phone software, but these are minor annoyances rather than big issues, and in theory can be resolved via software updates. The hardware itself is sound. If you want a phone for calling, texting, e-mailing, social networking, games and a bit of light web browsing, the Nokia C3 is amazing value for money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2011 1:56 AM GMT

Delock - Nano - USB Flash Drive - USB 2.0 - 2 Gb (German Import)
Delock - Nano - USB Flash Drive - USB 2.0 - 2 Gb (German Import)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 24 Sept. 2010
This USB key is very small and good to have on a keychain, so you always have a memory stick with you, but that's about all there is to recommend about it.

It's quite pricy for the amount of storage you get (although I guess you're paying for the small size).

I have pluggd this in to several different PCs and, where as pretty much every other USB key I have tried slots in and out easily, this one has to be forced in and out. It almost seems like it's too big for the USB slot (I know that sounds silly but you really do have to force it in to any USB slot).

Also, I actually wanted to use this USB key to run VMWare ESXi and boot a PC. ESXi installed on it ok, but it refused to book any PC I tried it on (again, most other USB keys will run ESXi no problem).

Grundig GUSTB80IV (80 GB) Freeview DTV Receiver
Grundig GUSTB80IV (80 GB) Freeview DTV Receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit, 16 Dec. 2006
I spent a long time looking for a decent PVR. All of the devices I looked at either had terrible reviews or were out of my price range. The Grundig was the first player I saw that was within my budget and had the features I was looking for, so I took a chance and brought it.

Set-up was easy. All you have to do is plug it in and switch it on. It automatically detects all of the freeview channels. The only snag was that the picture initially had a purple hue to it. I changed the video output from "RGB" and "CVBS", which sorted the problem.

The PVR is easy to use. When you change channel you get a bar at the bottom of the screen saying what is on and what is on next. The guide is available at the touch of a button (I think it's a 7-day guide, but I've only ever checked a day or two in advance). If you want to record something, just highlight it and press the record button. You can record something and watch another program at the same time. You can even set the PVR to start recording a few minutes before and after a program starts and ends, so if it doesn't start on time you won't miss anything. Playback of recorded programs is great.

The picture quality is also great. It is a lot better than the old analog channels and I've never seen it distort. The remote looks a bit cheap, but it is well laid out and it's obvious what each button is for.

I've had the 80GB version for about four months now and it has only frozen once (this is apparently a problem with a lot of other PVRs). I unplugged it and plugged it back in again and it was fine. The only downside I can find (which is minor, but it was a feature I was looking for), is that there is no easy way to get recorded programs off of the device. Some high-end PVRs have USB ports which allow you to copy recorded programs to a PC. The only way to get programs off of the Grundig would be to hook it up to a DVD-recorder or VCR, which is a bit fiddly (plus I don't have a DVD-recorder and a VCR would reduce the quality of the recording).

All in all this is a great device. It's really easy to use and it just works.