Profile for Andrew McCann > Reviews

Content by Andrew McCann
Top Reviewer Ranking: 202
Helpful Votes: 1919

Andrew McCann (Manchester, England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fretboard Roadmaps: The Essential Guitar Patterns That All the Pros Know and Use (Guitar Techniques)
by Fred Sokolow

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guitar Book, Especially For the Reasonably Proficient Guitarist Wishing To Progress To a More Advanced Level Speedily, 2 Jan. 2015
As an experienced guitarist, who has spent a lifetime absorbing a variety of means of attempting to progress to different levels of proficiency, I purchased this book on behalf of a relative, who is much younger and wishes to progress quickly, with limited experience.

To be honest, it took me many years to acquire much of the knowledge contained within this book, which I would have appreciated myself when much younger, as it coherently expresses what in later years seemed obvious, but at the outset of my playing years seemed less comprehensible.

Having purchased this book several times previously I can sincerely vouch for its value as an essential tool for the aspiring guitarist.

UK MPG Fuel Calculator
UK MPG Fuel Calculator

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Means of Calculating Mpg in the UK When Filling-Up, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: UK MPG Fuel Calculator (App)
As I choose to record my car's mpg at every fill-up, in order to determine how efficiently my vehicle is running and how economically I am driving, I find this an extremely useful app.

It makes the conversion simply by tapping the distance covered and litres of fuel used.

Although visually rather nondescript it serves its purpose well.

Car Check
Car Check

4.0 out of 5 stars An Essential App, Especially for Used Car Buyers, 31 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Car Check (App)
This app allows the user to establish (for free) details of vehicle make, model and year of manufacture, which are somewhat limited, but its true value is in its capacity to access more detailed information at an additional cost.

Today, for instance, these additional checks include the option to make 5 vehicle checks at £2 each, which is particularly useful for those checking out used cars.

The most detailed reports, which are available instantly, include a valuation, number of previous owners, a check of insurance write-off histories and a stolen check through the Police .

There are also other options available, which would be more appropriate for users wishing to check one vehicle only.

NTVSB3 Now TV box with 2 Sky Sports Day Passes
NTVSB3 Now TV box with 2 Sky Sports Day Passes
Offered by Simply 4 U

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Value Means of Accessing One-Off Sky Facilities and Much More Besides and Latest Update Provides YouTube Access, 31 Dec. 2014
The first thing that struck me about this Now TV box (which I purchased from my local Sainsbury's at a similar price to this one) was how small it was and yet how capable it is.

Not only does it facilitate access to Sky Sports and Movie passes (via one-off occasional payments, rather than ongoing subscriptions) but it also allows the user to view BBC I-Player, ITV Player, 4 on demand and 5 and several other online streaming and information services.

My main reason for this purchase was because I wished to view BBC I-Player with the option to use subtitles, which I had heard would be accessible via a recent upgrade and this proved to be true. (The other TV Players do not yet have subtitles, but as the NOW TV box updates itself at regular intervals, I suspect that these, too, will be accessible from this device once the originators of the various players make them available.)

The box was very easy to set up and streams consistently well (via its own built-in wireless connection) through my BT Infinity 2 broadband service. Obviously though it is reliant on having access to a decent wireless connection and positioning of the device may have a bearing on this, too, although I, personally, experienced no problems with this.

The two Sports Passes make this a particularly good buy, especially bearing in mind all the facilities available and I would consequently highly recommend it.

Update to this review on 23rd January 2015:

When I switched the NOW TV box on, it included the option to install an app to access YouTube, which really does enhance its overall versatility.

Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2015
Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Great To Find This Book Available For the Kindle, 7 Nov. 2014
The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook has proved to be an invaluable asset to me for over forty years and has initiated many new ways of working at different times, as trends and opportunities have changed.

It is important to note that I do not purchase it every year, my previous edition being the 2009 one, but this serves to provide me with a reasonable overview of the manner in which publishing and related media have changed in recent years.

Although those with more precise information requirements would benefit from purchasing this worthy publication annually, it must be extremely difficult for the publishers to maintain accurate up-to-date content consistently, as it takes considerable time to publish and distribute a book of this nature.

It was particularly pleasing to find the 2015 version available as a Kindle download. The links between the different parts of the book and the Internet make it extremely easy to navigate.

Personally I would like to see regular updates being applied to electronic versions of the book during the course of a year to address the issue of ensuring that it is as up-to-date as possible.

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5 - Audio Edition
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5 - Audio Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dictionary With Coherent Contemporary Word Definitions, 31 Oct. 2014
This dictionary was free today, so I really cannot complain about the price.

It took longer to download and install than apps usually do on my Kindle Fire HD , but this is probably an indication of how much detail is incorporated within it.

I experienced no problems when using the dictionary and found some interesting new contemporary word definitions, when exploring it randomly.

Consequently I would not hesitate in recommending it to others.

LG F1296TDA5 6 Motion Direct Drive 8kg 1200rpm Freestanding Washing Machine - Silver
Offered by The Wright Buy Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolutely Superb, Stylish and Energy-Efficient Washing-Machine, Which Is Extremely Quiet, Too, 10 Oct. 2014
This is a superb state-of-the-art washing machine and not only looks exceedingly stylish but is also economical and efficient.

It is extremely quiet, too, which sets it apart from every other washing machine that I have previously owned.

Apart from the two-year guarantee (ten year's for the direct drive motor), I was also most impressed by the self-diagnosis process, which allows it to fault-find effortlessly. (Hopefully I will not need to use this particular facility for some time yet.)

Although I usually purchase my electronic devices from Amazon, in this particular case I chose to order from Currys, as they included a next day delivery and installation service, including removal of my existing machine (at a moderate price) and I required it urgently.

In the event that Amazon chooses to offer delivery, installation and removal options in the future, then I am sure that this will be helpful to customers in a similar situation to myself.

Arthur Lowe
Arthur Lowe

4.0 out of 5 stars A Warts-and-All Depiction of a Memorable Actor, 9 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Arthur Lowe (Kindle Edition)
Having read several previous biographies by Graham Lord, I find his portrayal of his subjects to be well researched in terms of their ability to view their subjects from the viewpoints of a variety of credible witnesses resulting in a well-rounded depiction.

Consequently they do not gloss over the cracks and serve to show his subjects as they really were and this book is no exception and I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Arthur Lowe and his life and achievements.

K-Swiss Women's Outshine  Tennis Trainer
K-Swiss Women's Outshine Tennis Trainer
Price: £27.66 - £116.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Shoes, Both in terms of Tennis and Stylish Leisure Wear, 9 Oct. 2014
My wife really loves these shoes and finds that they are most comfortable, not only in her occasional use on the tennis courts, but also in general leisurewear situations.

They are also most stylish and serve to make the most of the quality leather that is included in their manufacture.

Consequently she would heartily recommend them (and I would, too, as I have been wearing the K-Swiss brand for some years now and have never been disappointed with their overall quality, design attributes and capacity to serve the test of time).

K-Swiss DEFIER RS Tennis Shoes Mens White Weiß (White/Black 103-M) Size: 9 UK (43 EU)
Offered by Wisdens Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Shoes and Not Just for Tennis, 9 Oct. 2014
I really love these shoes, which are not only exceedingly comfortable, but are also very stylish indeed, with generous amounts of leather included in their manufacture.

Personally I use them both for leisure wear and driving and occasional forays on the tennis courts and would heartily recommend them both for build quality and for their design attributes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20