Profile for Andrew McCann > Reviews

Content by Andrew McCann
Top Reviewer Ranking: 552

Andrew McCann (Manchester, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Diary
Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Alternative to a Paper-Based Diary, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Diary (App)
Personally I use my Kindle Fire HD for a wide variety of different tasks, in the course of a day, so it does help to have an app such as this to add appointments as and when they occur.

Those users who are not particularly adept at entering text with reasonable speed might prefer to stick to using a paper-based diary, but for anyone else this is a useful means of recording chronological information.

It is particularly helpful to be able to list a sequence of entries that occur over several days and to be able to convert them to PDFs for printing or sending to another device.

NEW GENUINE KIA SPORTAGE 2011 on VELOUR CARPET MATS - SET OF 4 MATS FRONT & REAR

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Helpful Amazon Community Helped Me Decide On This Purchase and Their Responses to my Query Were Spot On, 25 Feb. 2014
Prior to ordering these mats for my new Kia Sportage, I needed to clarify whether or not they would match the requirements of my latest model vehicle. Therefore I chose to ask a question about the product using Amazon's facility for requesting advice from previous purchasers.(This is a new process and one I had not actually used before.)

Consequently it really was most helpful, when a large number of previous purchasers responded to my query and in addition, the consensus was that it was a worthy product that would serve its purpose well. (I really would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of them for having spared their precious time to respond to my request.)

Having purchased the mats and now received them, I have found them to be exactly as others have described them. They fit the vehicle perfectly, are of hard-wearing material and yet pleasing to the eye; matching authentically the overall style sense of the vehicle and I would therefore regard them as a five star product.

GOOGLE EARTH HD For Kindle Device
GOOGLE EARTH HD For Kindle Device

1.0 out of 5 stars Little More than a Succession of Links Peppered With Advertising on My Kindle Fire HD, 24 Feb. 2014
On opening this app, the main screen shows a globe in the background, with two identical upward scrolling advertisements across the mid and upper screen.

There are also three bands across the top, middle and lower parts of the screen; one labelled Google Maps HD, one labelled Yahoo Maps HD and one labelled Globe.

The Globe link leads to an advertising page for "Real World Globes" (for classroom instruction). The Yahoo Maps HD and Google Maps links simply lead to Yahoo Maps and Google Maps pages that can just as easily be accessed via a web link, with no requirement to use an app of this kind. (In fact, when I accessed a web link to these facilities, they automatically found my own location in relation to my device's settings, which this app did not.)

Incidentally Google Earth itself, which is the theme of the app, is in no way directly accessible (or at least, not from my interpretation of this app, in the manner in which it operates on my particular device).

The only point in this app's favour is that it is free. Beyond that it is merely a series of links designed to promote the advertising contained within the screens and on the additional menu.

When I see apps like this, it really makes me wonder to what extent those behind the Amazon Apps Store actually vet the content of the apps placed there and the viability of what they have to offer, as this particular one is little more than an advertising platform.

24K Gold Finished Luxury Kia Keyring Stunning gift
24K Gold Finished Luxury Kia Keyring Stunning gift

5.0 out of 5 stars A Practical and Delightful Gift For the Motorist, 23 Feb. 2014
This is a really beautiful key-ring in a neat presentation box, which I bought for my wife to coincide with a new car purchase and although not appropriate for use with the vehicle's digital key/immobiliser, it serves the purpose of containing our household keys very well indeed.

An authentication certificate is also included, in relation to the gold and its content, which is of a generous quantity.

Other potential purchasers might be interested in the fact that, although my specific purchase related to a Kia, when I perused alternative products available from this vendor, I found that this key-ring set is available for a large range of other makes of vehicle, too.

PolyClock World Clock
PolyClock World Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Means of Tracking Time In Different Parts of the World, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: PolyClock World Clock (App)
PolyClock uses screen space efficiently and it is so useful to be able to track what the current time is in different parts of the world.

It is also an asset that adjustments can be made to suit an individual user's specific requirements. Time zones and city choices can be selected manually, for instance.

The globe itself is a useful addition that is lacking on other apps that I have used, which show world times.

Consequently I would regard this as an essential app for the international traveller, for businesses working across time zones, families keeping in touch with relatives in other parts of the world, online games players and sports fans following events abroad.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Amount of Facility for the Price, 21 Feb. 2014
It is some years now, since I last purchased a digital still camera, so it came as a real surprise to find how many features were packed into this particular Nikon, with the inclusion of full HD video and stereo sound recording, too, although in a limited way. (The true video enthusiast would prefer a digital video camera, which is optimized for this purpose.)

The picture quality I found to be very good indeed, especially in a camera of this size and lightness of weight and is a complete contrast to the bulkiness of a DSLR. Consequently it is especially ideal in those kinds of situations in which portable, lightweight equipment is preferred.

Serious still camera users and professionals might well find issues with this Nikon, when compared with their own professional equipment, but for value and facility I, personally, found it hard to beat.

Medal Alert
Medal Alert

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot Review The App As It Will Not Work On My Kindle Fire HD, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Medal Alert (App)
The product description promised a lot of capability in relation to charting the progression of medal achievements at the Winter Olympics, when I sourced this app within the Amazon App Store.

However when I attempted to initiate the app, it pointed me to the Google Play Store.

My main reservation about the app is that if I am to trust applications found on the Amazon app store, then why aren't they sufficiently vetted to ensure that they operate appropriately with Amazon products?

Maybe at some point in the future Amazon's editorial processes will be accomplished with greater accuracy, but until then reviewers such as myself will be obliged to post low level ratings to apps that are probably worthy of much higher ones.

Velbon DF-51 Aluminium Photo/Video Tripod
Velbon DF-51 Aluminium Photo/Video Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sturdy, Compact and Lightweight Tripod, 19 Feb. 2014
A very impressive tripod, which is both steady and robust and yet extremely lightweight and consequently an excellent complement to the latest breed of digital cameras. (In my case it is a Nikon Coolpix P520 Camera - Black (18.1MP, 42xZoom, 24mm Wide Lens) 3.2 inch LCD)

It was also most cost-effective at the time of purchase, especially when compared with similar products.

However it is important to mention that a tripod bag is an essential additional purchase in order to make the most of this excellent tripod. I chose a Velbon Case 600, at the time of purchase and it arrived in the same box as the tripod itself, which was most helpful.

eWallet - Password Manager and Secure Storage Database Wallet
eWallet - Password Manager and Secure Storage Database Wallet

5.0 out of 5 stars A Secure and Effective Means of Storing Essential Data, 18 Feb. 2014
Personally I choose to have many different passwords and user names for logging in to different web facilities, as this is much safer than using the same few, so this app is really helpful in allowing me to keep track of them.

There is also the facility to store credit card information, emergency telephone numbers, vehicle details and so much more.

Overall this app represents a great means of storing and quickly accessing such essential detail with minimal fuss.

wikiHow - the how to manual
wikiHow - the how to manual

4.0 out of 5 stars A Resourceful Compilation Especially for Those Unexpected Situations That Require a Certain Know-How, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: wikiHow - the how to manual (App)
I have a soft spot for this app, as it has already proved to be a real gem on several occasions, the most recent being when I was unable to open a bottle of wine for dinner guests, as a consequence of a missing corkscrew.

The photographic detail is extremely helpful and the explanations are very clear.

The only downside to the app is that it requires an Internet connection, so it is not so useful when out and about.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20