Profile for Andrew McCann > Reviews

Content by Andrew McCann
Top Reviewer Ranking: 558

Andrew McCann (Manchester, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Opt-out of Kindle Special Offers
Opt-out of Kindle Special Offers

5.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Means of Accessing the Kindle with Minimal Fuss, 31 July 2016
It was sad for me to be obliged to opt out of Kindle Special Offers, as they can be extremely helpful, but having been a Kindle owner since the outset and also an Amazon user since its first emergence on the online scene, it can be a distraction to have offers that I am able to search for myself imposed on me.

Bearing in mind that I purchased my latest (and approximately tenth) Kindle at an excellent price (especially when compared against
the cost of the original, which cost much more with lesser capability) £10 seemed cheap as a means of facilitating a lack of special offers, which were proving an impediment to my being able to access my Kindle directly for my own purposes.

Foster Grant Carrie Reading Glasses Strength 2.5
Foster Grant Carrie Reading Glasses Strength 2.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Reading Glasses, 31 July 2016
Much cheaper than the Sainsbury's equivalents and my wife really appreciates them and would therefore highly recommend them.

One Hundred And One Dalmatians (1961)
One Hundred And One Dalmatians (1961)
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Those who Love the Original Disney Creations at their Best, 31 July 2016
I really loved this original version of One Hundred and One Dalmatians when it first emerged in the early 1960's and it is really wonderful to be able to access a downloadable version now.

Animations have become far more sophisticated since those times, but for those, such as myself, who experienced watching these Disney productions when they first emerged, the nostalgia quotient is extremely high.

Comic Strip pro
Comic Strip pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great App for Locating and Viewing Comic Strips, 31 July 2016
This review is from: Comic Strip pro (App)
Having been a writer of scripts for comic strips during the 1970's, I found this app to be most useful indeed in allowing me to access my personal collection of comic strips and would consequently highly recommend it.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface and recording bundle with Pro Tools | First
Offered by Fair Deal Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for Mac Users, but Some Question Marks When it Comes To PC Users, 31 July 2016
Having purchased this 2nd Generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio package, I was initially extremely pleased with it and felt that both visually and in terms of build quality and performance it served its purposes well.

However after my PC, which is a new one containing the latest and fastest processors and graphics cards and running Windows 10 crashed and would not even facilitate a restoration process using its in-built restoration mechanisms, it became clear that the drivers associated with this device were the cause of the problem.

Consequently I was (sadly) obliged to return the product. However it is important to state that it is optimised for use with Mac computers and those running these machines will find this to be an excellent audio interface.

In my particular case, I would suggest that Focusrite are not the problem, as they have produced an excellent device, but unfortunately the fact that Windows 10 and its associated drivers are constantly evolving in a manner that must make it difficult for manufacturers to adapt is proving the Achilles heel to the likes of companies such as Focusrite.

Personally I would suggest that Mac users whose machines meet the recommended requirements should not hesitate in purchasing this package, however PC owners should perhaps bide their time in ensuring that there are no conflicts in relation to the use of drivers.

It is important to state that Amazon were excellent in facilitating a return for this product and so were Reidys from whom I have purchased instruments in the past and would highly recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2016 1:08 AM BST

Alesis Elevate 5 | Powered Desktop Studio Monitor Speakers   120 Watt Peak - Pair
Alesis Elevate 5 | Powered Desktop Studio Monitor Speakers 120 Watt Peak - Pair

4.0 out of 5 stars Speakers which Serve their Purposes Well at a Reasonable Price, 31 July 2016
These were purchased to support digital music production alongside a means of playing my personal music collection.

Having used analogue musical production systems successfully for years, including the use of a variety of Alesis boxes (for both vocals and guitars) I am extremely pleased with the extent to which these particular speakers are suitable for my particular purposes at a most reasonable price.

Bearing in mind that it would be relatively easy to find speakers worthy of more sophisticated sound production at a higher price level, it would be extremely difficult to find those with equivalent attributes within this price range.

Their size is just about right to meet the demands of a home studio and yet the volume and quality of sound serves my personal purposes well.

Amazon Fire HD 10 Keyboard Case - UK Layout (5th Generation - 2015 release)
Amazon Fire HD 10 Keyboard Case - UK Layout (5th Generation - 2015 release)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For My Purposes, 21 May 2016
Although it is relatively easy to type on the touch-sensitive screen of the Fire HD 10, due to its large size, as a competent typist I find the keyboard which is built into this case to be much more responsive. As a consequence it is much easier to produce text speedily, which is an important factor for other users with the skill to make the most of it.

It would therefore be true to say that the keyboard adequately transforms the Fire HD 10 into a useful substitute for a laptop or notebook computer.

The case itself is robust and somewhat weighty, which suits me perfectly, as it offers significant protection to the slim, lightweight Fire HD 10. However those wishing for a less weighty more portable means of transporting their Fire HD 10 might wish to consider alternative options.

Home Defence Pro - Advanced Home Pest Control Equipment - The Most Powerful Indoor Pest Control Ultrasonic Repeller Available On Amazon UK - Simply Plug In Set & Forget - 100% Pest Control Satisfaction Guaranteed - Drive Away Those Insect And Rodent Nuisances - Pest Control Products That are Proven To Stop Pests By Using A Unique Mix Of Ultrasonic Waves - Unique Variable Wavelength Technology - An Active Pest Control Deterrent Against Spiders Mice, Moths, Ants, Bugs, Fleas & Many More ...
Offered by Librian Enterprises LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Surprised....but It Actually Seems To Be working, 7 May 2016
For several weeks now, I have been endeavouring to rid my property of a minor mouse infestation.Two were caught in humane traps and removed, but a third (and probably more) were proving particularly elusive to capture, so I chose to purchase this gizmo as a last resort.
To be honest, it sounded too good to be true, but what waivered the balance was the promise of a 30-day, no quibble, money-back guarantee, so what was there to lose?

It struck me that one would probably not serve my purposes, as the mice could easily relocate to another part of the house, so I purchased two of them. One was placed on the landing and another in the kitchen, where a mouse had succeeded in avoiding the peanut-butter and chocolate loaded humane trap and bitten its way into a sack of potatoes instead.

The first night I used a security camera to see whether or not a mouse would venture into the kitchen regardless of the Home Pest Control and one did appear, but only briefly and there was no evidence of any damage. The following two nights it did not appear at all and there have been no observations to suggest that mice have invaded any other part of the house.

It is early days yet, but so far this device seems promising. As the days get warmer, ants usually manage to find their way into the conservatory, so I will be keen to see if it is able to resolve that problem.

I will keep this review updated to show the continued effectiveness of this gadget, but so far so good....

Bosch Rotak 36 LI Ergoflex Cordless 36 V Lithium Ion Rotary Lawnmower Featuring Syneon Chip (37 cm Cutting Width)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Lawn Mower Indeed, if Care Is Taken When Looking After the Li-on Batteries Which Are Expensive to Replace, 17 April 2016
My previous Bosch Rotak (a 34 Li) , which also uses Li-on batteries is still working well after eight years and the batteries are charging sufficiently to cut my front and back lawns after so much time. (They are not particularly large lawns and overall take approximately twenty minutes to cut.) So I have had a good experience of lawn-mowing with this make.

I chose to purchase this model shortly before the cutting season, as it was pitched at a decent price (bearing in mind that they are somewhat expensive when compared with non-battery lawn mowers). So far I am well-pleased with it. The only criticism is the price of the Li-on batteries, which constitute a large proportion of the overall cost of the lawnmowers, but maybe this is what we pay for the convenience of not being tethered to a household wall socket.

Acctim 74471 Haswell Radio Controlled Wall Clock, Natural oak
Acctim 74471 Haswell Radio Controlled Wall Clock, Natural oak

2.0 out of 5 stars It Would Be a Very Good Clock If It Showed the Correct Time, but Sadly It Does Not, 17 April 2016
It is a good-looking clock, but unfortunately the hour hand constantly reads plus one hour, even after resets, which suggests that it is receiving the time from Frankfurt instead of Cumbria.

I thought it would sort itself out eventually via the radio control mechanism or that I would fathom a means of doing this manually, but after several weeks I have now given up in total exasperation!

Unfortunately my wife sprayed the wood black to match the decor of my study, so we are not able to send it back and are stuck with something that does not properly serve its purpose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20