Profile for R. EDWARDS > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Red Flag [Amazon Signed Exclusive]
Red Flag [Amazon Signed Exclusive]

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back, Ladies, 13 April 2016
I knew nothing about this album, so it was such an unexpected surprise when I saw it on Amazon.

I was really excited for it to arrive, particularly being a signed copy, especially as the first two releases were so strong - One Strike was a great choice for lead single and I LOVE One Woman Man, listened to it loads.

Must say that I'm not that struck on Make U Love Me. This Is A War is a slow burn and Ratchet Behaviour is very left-field but hey, they always do a song like that. Everything else is top notch.

My personal fave is Who Hurt Who (sublime) and other standout tracks are One Woman Man, Tribal & Pieces.

All in all a real winner of an album. Great songs married with great production (which often gets forgotten in reviews). Shaznay has always written great pop songs.

Their voices have definitely matured and they blend so well together here, better than ever.

I thought 'Studio 1' was criminally underated and overlooked and like many, I never thought they would record again but I'm so glad they did.

I really hope that we don't have to wait 10 years for the next release but if it's as good as this, then it will be worth it.

Panasonic DMP-BD75EB-K Ultra Fast Booting 2D Blu-Ray Disc Player (Old model)
Panasonic DMP-BD75EB-K Ultra Fast Booting 2D Blu-Ray Disc Player (Old model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, 2 Sept. 2011
I'd been pontificating for ages about replacing my DVD recorder with a new model to allow me to record in HD after the Analogue switchover but as usual I dithered due to limited choice and high prices (I don't want or need a dual disc / hard disc recorder).

Anyway, having purchased a wi-fi enabled television (the excellent Sony KDL22EX320BU 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview), as most of what I would record is on the BBC I can watch the programme on the built-in i-Player, so no longer need a recorder.

I was still interested in upgrading the player though, so having always having been very happy with Panasonic players I opted for this entry-level model and I have to say what a great purchase it has been.

It loads DVDs really quickly, playback is almost silent and the picture quality is noticably upgraded, so it does exactly what I want.

I have no intention of buying Blu-Ray discs but I did have one already, so tried it out. As other reviewers have commented, the playback was noisy and I had to turn the volume up and to my eyes the picture quality didn't seem as good as the same film on a standard DVD.

That said, I won't be buying BR anyway, so it's not an issue for me.

The footprint of the player is great, being less than half the size of the player it's replacing. Build quality is ok but I use the buttons on the remote to switch on and open and close the draw, as not sure how much abuse the buttons on the player will take.

I've given it 5 stars based on the experience I've had with it after about a month.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2011 7:44 PM BST

Spooks: Code 9 (BBC Series) [2008] [DVD]
Spooks: Code 9 (BBC Series) [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanne Frogatt
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entertainment, 27 Aug. 2011
I was only just getting into Spooks when this spin-off series was screened on Three, so I didn't bother with it.

Now I'm a fan (really looking forward to series 10 - shame it will be the last), so I thought I'd give this DVD a go (extremely negative reviews notwithstanding!).

Ok the premise is (hopefully!) a little far-fetched but the acting is very good (with perhaps one exception), the episodes well written and the action rips along.

The series does get better as it progresses, with plenty of edge of the seat moments (particularly episode 5). It's a shame that the cliffhanger will never be resolved.

All I can say is that I really enjoyed it (and I know this from how quickly I watched the 6 episodes) and I'm glad I don't let reviews guide my buying choices, as I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this DVD, which would have been my loss.

I'll be watching it again soon.

All Things Bright And Beautiful
All Things Bright And Beautiful

5.0 out of 5 stars Among My Frivolous Thoughts (Hey Hey Owl City), 3 July 2011
You either like Owl City or you don't. It's as simple as that.

I do.

If you're already a fan you'll buy this anyway. If you're not sure, listen to the preview of the tracks on the download version (that's what it's there for!) and you'll soon be adding it to your basket.

I loved Ocean Eyes (Amazon MP3 Exclusive), so had no hesitation in ordering the Japanese CD release of ATBAB (for the bonus tracks) but I was slightly apprehensive having heard a snippet of Alligator Sky (initial thought being "what was he thinking?").

However, I needn't have worried.

This builds on the previous album, with more clever lyrics (Adam really does write great songs). It's almost like a concept album with themes from one song leading into another. There's not a track I don't like.

Alligator Sky is actually one of the best songs on here, now that I've heard it in full and in context. So much for judging a book by its cover!

This download edition is well worth getting for the three extra tracks and two videos. Shy Violet and How I Became The Sea are two of my favourites on the album.

As an aside, the best mix of Alligator Sky I've heard is Alligator Sky (Long Lost Sun Remix). Check it out.

Doctor Who: The Tenth Planet [VHS]
Doctor Who: The Tenth Planet [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars The Times They Are A Changing, 16 Jun. 2011
I never thought that I would ever buy another VHS cassette but until 2entertain release the story on DVD (they tell me they have plans to but no set release date yet) then this is the only way to see The Tenth Planet.

Fortunately I still have a player set up, so having recently become a fan of this era of the series I had to buy it and was lucky enough to find a new one, which was still sealed.

As most people know, the story features the debut of the Cybermen and the departure of William Hartnell.

The restoration team make a good job of "reconstructing" the missing episode 4 (apart from one telesnap in the wrong place) and there were more actual clips than I realised existed.

Companions Ben and Polly see plenty of action, which is great as I've become a big fan. (Ben gets more screen time than originally intended because WH wasn't able to film episode 3 due to ill health).

The Cyberman are much better than those in the series now. They look really good and the voices (mostly provided by Roy Skelton, who passed away last week) are brilliant. You can really believe that this is what humanity could become and I imagine that viewers found the concept quite chilling in 1966.

Fortunately most of the very first regeneration scene still exists (although it was some years before the term was used). A really novel idea that showed how ahead of its time the series was. Viewers must have wondered what on earth was happening (but they only had a week to find out).

Recommended.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2013 9:10 PM BST

Lifelines
Lifelines

5.0 out of 5 stars Linger On, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Lifelines (Audio CD)
It's been a long four years since Andrea's solo debut, the very underated Ten Feet High, which I really liked.

Lifelines is an eclectic collection of some of her favourite songs, most of which I wasn't familiar with.

As with her previous album, there is very little here reminiscent of her work with The Corrs. Only the current single Tinseltown In The Rain (complete with yeah-ee-eahs) sounds like anything she did with her siblings.

My favourites are Pale Blue Eyes, Tinseltown, From The Morning, Lifeline, Tomorrow In Her Eyes & Some Things Last A Long Time (the last three songs are very special).

The production by John Reynolds is fantastic. The instruments are kept to a minimum or turned right down in the mix to allow her voice to take centre stage.

A nice collection of songs, which I've already listened to several times. The perfect background music for doing the ironing!

I personally think that DVDs given away with albums are a bit of a gimmick, to be watched once (if that) and never seen again but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

It features Andrea talking about some of the tracks, interspersed with partial live performance of that track, followed by a touching interview, the video and Making Of Tinseltown and a Photo Gallery. It's beautifully filmed and edited. I will definitely be watching this more than once.

I hope we don't have to wait so long until the next release.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2011 3:25 PM BST

Doctor Who: The War Machines [DVD]
Doctor Who: The War Machines [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab First Doctor Adventure, 25 May 2011
When I started watching Doctor Who towards the end of Tom Baker's run, I couldn't think of a bigger turn-off than watching old men in black and white episodes made before I was born.

However, attitudes change and now I'm approaching old man status myself!

I've been drawn to the First Doctor for a few years now, thoroughly enjoying some of the BBC Past Doctor novels and I've developed quite a soft spot for William Hartnell.

I've stopped watching the series on television now (I really can't be doing with stories where I have absolutely no idea what is going on), so I thought I'd check out some of the Classic series that I haven't seen before.

I chose 'The War Machines' because it is the only complete Ben & Polly story left and I'd always gathered that they were highly regarded companions and I wasn't disappointed.

Michael Craze and Anneke Wills had a great chemistry and it's a crying shame that more of their episodes no longer exist.

The story seems quite tame now but I imagine that it was quite something at the time. It was interesting to see contemporary London from 1966.

The extras were enjoyable. I particularly like the Photo Gallery and One Foot In The Past (about the Tower - I'm lucky enough to have been up - and yes, the restaurant still revolves).

I really hope that 2 Entertain release the final Hartnell story, 'The Tenth Planet', on DVD soon (despite episode 4 being mostly incomplete).

If you're a fan of Ben & Polly, search for them on that well known video website. There are some fantastic montages.

Explorer
Explorer

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Bound To Catch You Unaware, 9 May 2011
This review is from: Explorer (Audio CD)
While not as immeadiately appealing to me as Don't Look Down /Paid Edrych I lawr / Moon Songs, this seeps into your psyche with repeated listens.

As the title suggests, Explorer takes the listener on a musical journey around the world, encompassing a range of flavours, styles and instruments, all sung with Cerys' inimitable vocals.

From the fantastically titled How Can You Say So Little When You Talk So Much (how many of us know at least one person who that could have been written for?) to the charming Ca The Yowes you get Indian, Spanish / Moorish, Peruvian (?) and of course Celtic.

If Sweet Magnolia had been the only track on here, it would still have been worth the admission price. So good.

I also like Galleon, Into The Derelict Night, Connemara Cradle Song, Eneth Gadd Ei Wrthod and the previously mentioned Ca The Yowes.

A nice collection of songs which are either written or co-written by Cerys, or her arrangements of traditional texts.

Hard Bargain
Hard Bargain

5.0 out of 5 stars Pefect Listening, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Hard Bargain (MP3 Download)
Having only become aware of Emmylou after her track on the 'Brokeback Mountain' soundtrack, followed by All The Roadrunning (with Mark Knopfler), which I loved, I downloaded this album after hearing the title track played on Radio 2 and looking it up to see what release it was from.

I love her voice. It is so relaxing and makes listening to this album a real pleasure. The multi-layered vocals work to great effect.

It's difficult to choose favourite tracks but I particularly like (in no order) Home Sweet Home, New Orleans, Hard Bargain, Nobody, Cross Yourself, The Ship On His Arm, The Road, My Name Is Emmett Till and Goodnight Old World (the last three all give me goosebumps).

As well as the vocals, praise must be given to the instrumentation and production.

A lovely album. Thank You all.

A pefect way to while away Saturday afternoon with a nice glass of wine.

Credo
Credo

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Been A Lovely Day, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Credo (MP3 Download)
It's certainly a purple patch for 80's music lovers, what with new albums from Duran, Roxette and Human League, to name a few.

I wasn't too sure about this after initially downloading it but I've listened to it many times since and it really does grow on you.

There are some cracking songs on Credo. Personal favourites are Breaking The Chains (absolutely fantastic - one of the best songs I've heard in ages), When The Stars Start To Shine, Sky and Single Minded but there isn't a track I dislike.

Yes, the lyrics can be a bit bonkers but I actually find myself listening to what is being said.

Having read the other reviews on here, I can't understand the critisism of the girls' vocals. What's this about "auto-tune"? They sound exactly the same as they have always done and HL wouldn't be the same without them.

Most of these songs would sit happily alongside the classic greatest hits.

Please don't leave it so long before the next album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3