Profile for AlanMusicMan > Reviews

Content by AlanMusicMan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 792

AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oral-B Vitality Plus FlossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Vitality Plus FlossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent brush - like the floss action., 29 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There was a time - years ago - when people scoffed at electric toothbrushes as being for the lazy or the incompetent. But I well remember the transformation in my own dental hygiene when I moved from the old manual brush to the new electric toothbrush. Standing scrubbing away with a traditional brush you just don't get the feeling of cleanliness that you get from an electric toothbrush. It's obvious when you think about it, an electric brush can pass the brush over your tooth and gum areas far faster than you can manually, so in a comparable time you get far more coverage and consequently your teeth feel cleaner.

Ever since we got electric toothbrushes we've had Oral B products. My only real problem with them is always the battery life - the recharge intervals get less and less fairly soon into usage. Too soon to say if this one will suffer similarly, but in every other respect this one is as good as its predecessors AND it has this floss action that mimics flossing between your teeth. Highly recommended.

Geemarc Corded Telephone - Apollo10 Black/Grey- UK Version
Geemarc Corded Telephone - Apollo10 Black/Grey- UK Version

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value., 29 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this phone. We mostly have wireless phones in our house, but being up to the maximum we could connect to our wireless DECT Panasonic system, and needing one more, I got and fitted this. No problem with it, sounds good, looks good, nice and legible Of course no proper display for caller ID - but that's not a huge problem as it's just in a workshop and only get used infrequently. For the money and as a basic wired phone, it's excellent value.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2015 10:50 AM BST

Yesterday Man
Yesterday Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Hey Decca - Why No Chris Andrews Collection?, 8 April 2015
This review is from: Yesterday Man (Audio CD)
Almost agree with all the previous reviews. This is a rare gem, a CD from the late and un-lamented Tring label which actually DOES contain the original hits (not later feeble out-takes and remakes). I can't agree about the sound quality though - these have mostly been done from Vinyl copies I think - except for "Stop That Girl" which has been digitised from a very poor cassette (well, that's what it sounds like). Ironically my reason for buying the disc is to get a replacement for my knackered 45 single of that track... who knew that the CD copy would sound much worse!!? The other tracks are of acceptable quality though. This could not compare to a proper "back to the Decca masters" compilation though - but this sells for very cheap so until whoever owns the Decca back-catalogue sees fit to invest in a proper compilation or anthology this will have to do.

Union Station [DVD] [1950] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Union Station [DVD] [1950] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Got be be in the top 10 of film noir, 29 Mar. 2015
This is a great movie. For something made in 1950 it has a higher degree of grittiness than you might expect and the story is very strong. The acting is mostly excellent and the photography is pin sharp and the lighting gives it oodles of atmosphere. For those who like film noir classics, this one has to go into their top 10.

The story concerns a woman, the secretary of a rich man, who happens to spot that two men who get out of a car at a station, board the train separately and that one of them is carrying a gun. Fearing a hold-up she gets the conductor to signal ahead to the end of the line (Union Station) where the train is met by the head of Railroad security (Holden) who - although initially sceptical - follows one of the men to a left luggage locker where the man deposits a suitcase and leaves. When they then open the suitcase they find that it contains the personal effects of the daughter of the rich man for whom the secretary works. Soon after they learn she has been kidnapped. What follows is a great detective yarn, mostly taking place in and around the station - lovingly recreated as a huge set for the most part - culminating in a race against time and a battle in the darkness of the tunnels under the station between the railroad cop and the principal kidnapper.

It's tense, it holds the interest (which is not bad 65 years after it was made!) and although there are a couple of (mercifully short) scenes where the male and female lead exchange lines of the "I think you're awfully nice" type, it mostly motors along at a pretty brisk pace.

Nanoinnovation: What Every Manager Needs to Know
Nanoinnovation: What Every Manager Needs to Know
by Michael Tomczyk

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure of the audience., 27 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really puzzled by this book and can't figure out who it is for. Okay, it's supposedly aimed at managers and yes, it explains what nanotech is and what it promises to deliver and how it can change the world... BUT...it's probably going leave many middle managers behind fairly early on and yet, it's not detailed enough to please many card-carrying techies.

It does quite a good job of looking at how you might manage processes around the technical capabilities - but I genuinely think it falls between several audiences and might end up pleasing none of them. However, I'm glad I read it because I found out interesting things about what is becoming possible and what may be on the way. However, if I was seriously thinking about a career as a manager in this line of work, would this get me started and give me a detailed understanding of how it differs from managing in other spheres? I'm not convinced that it would. However, I'm not considering such a move, so perhaps I'm not the ideal target audience anyway.

Oral-B Pro 2000 Crossaction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job - but ours needs charging much too often., 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An ideal gift. Looks good, comes with everything you need and does the job. The weak point would seem to be the battery. The person testing it for me reports that the charge doesn't last as long as others and even after a full 24 hours on charge doesn't seem to last more than a couple of brushes. Perhaps we have an iffy unit though. In all other respects it's fine, but charge problems are kind a big drawback for a electric toothbrush - so only three stars.

BIC Velleda Fashion Whiteboard Marker - Assorted (Pack of 4)
BIC Velleda Fashion Whiteboard Marker - Assorted (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and Vivid - Easily erased. Does what you want marker pens to do!, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These do everything you expect from a dry-wipe marker and are unusually vivid colours giving your greaseboard doodles additional contrast. Despite the ink being thicker than most others I have used, it wipes off the whiteboard just as easily. One thing that I would advise is that, since these pens are a different shape to most dry-wipe markers, the manufacturer definitely should put "DRY-WIPE" in big letters on the artwork. Otherwise they are too easily mistaken for permanent markers which they physically resemble and might never get used.

Data Fluency: Empowering Your Organization with Effective Data Communication
Data Fluency: Empowering Your Organization with Effective Data Communication
by Richard Galentino

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning to speak "Data", 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A big subject, but a good treatment. All businesses throw off data like showers of sparks and often as ephemeral. What this book shows is that some of the data is actually not as disposable as you may imagine. Used properly as a considered part of a data consolidation exercise, it can allow apparently unrelated causes and effects within an enterprise to be tied together and reveal some surprising things - good and bad - that are of value to the business concerned. However, this is not a book for teh data novice, dealing as it does with some technical areas and tools which you need some background to fully grasp. Nevertheless, even for the less technical reader it will certainly show the worth of getting to grips with your company's datasets in a way you have probably not contemplated before.

Most of All: The Singles As & Bs
Most of All: The Singles As & Bs
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I listened to it - but I won't be back for seconds., 18 Feb. 2015
Harvey Fuqua had a hand in writing some of my favourite Motown tracks (e.g Junior Walker's "What Does it Take?") and so I thought I would have a listen to the kind of music he was involved in making before that era.

I have to say that I came away from listening to this collection less impressed and interested than I thought I would be. There are some quite nice tracks on here, "I knew From the Start" is good and "Real Gone Mama" is fun. But a great deal of what's on here is forgettable in the extreme.

Even songs familiar from other versions "Blue Velvet" (Bobby Vinton's biggest hit and which had already been a 1950 Tony Bennett hit long before Bobby or the Moonglows cut it) don't grab me as better than the versions I know - and IMO The Moonglows version of "Sincerely" doesn't hold a candle to the McGuire Sisters hit version. So this collection was of a little interest, but I can't see me ever revisiting it.

P.S> The Ten Commandments of Love is just as magnificently awful as I remembered it...!

Ken Burns America Collection: Empire of the Air [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Sowing Seeds, the First Tech Empire, 15 Feb. 2015
Fascinating documentary about the race to rule the radio airwaves. Takes in the competition between Marconi and his rivals and the dirty work and skulduggery that attended the race to claim and patent ownership of the basic inventions. Then, the race to productise electronic broadcasting and reception. Shows how David Sarnoff built up Radio Corporation of America (RCA) into one of the biggest (and arguably the first) tech empires the world has ever seen. If you have an interest in broadcasting and how the seeds of our modern interconnected world and consumer paradise were sown, you'll get a lot out of this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20