Profile for H. Yip > Reviews

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf

5.0 out of 5 stars Cravings = sorted!, 19 July 2009
I had a huge craving for coffee cupcakes yesterday and picked up our new copy of this cookbook and tried out their coffee cake recipe (and adapted for a half batch of cupcakes - half because I was on my OWN!). I cannot believe how straightforward it was, it took me literally about 45 mins (including 20 mins cooking time and making my own coffee essence) to come out with possibly the BEST cupcakes I've ever made. They were PERFECT! Moist, full of flavour and not toothachingly sweet.

The book itself is simple no nonsense, all UK measures (unlike a lot of my other baking books), great photography, descriptive and helpful information on each recipe and all recipes are extremely easy to follow. Sure it seems like a basic book, but when the basic recipes turn out THIS good, there's nothing basic about it!

There are some bad reviews regarding quantities etc, but as long as you're using scales, electric mixer and proper measuring spoons, I have no idea how they can go wrong...
Comment Comment | Permalink

Slash: The Autobiography
Slash: The Autobiography
by Slash

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowza!, 7 Jan. 2009
I had to physically fight myself to put the book down to go to work, even though I would have happily sat on the London tube reading until I was finished!

I've always appreciated what a legend Slash is and was quite partial to a bit of 'Sweet Child', but having grown up mostly in the 90s, I never had the privilege of experiencing the rock n roll era and really knowing much about it. I've always just listened to whatever my friends were into and until I read this book I never really took the time to appreciate music for what it is. I consider my younger days to be musically deprived! Now when I listen to music, I really LISTEN.

In this book, Slash's story is objective and brutally honest without being slightly arrogant or dramatic. You can imagine it to be completely sensationalised, but the fact is, Slash tells it how it is and was, doesn't try to impress and takes on full responsibility for his actions. It is most definitely excessive but ultimately believable by the fact that you can almost hear his voice when you read.

This is possibly one of the best books I've ever read and would recommend this to anyone who can read!
Be warned though, I've been obsessed with Slash and GnR ever since. And I've had to obtain all their albums, a load of Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Aerosmith and any other 70s-80s rock I could get my hands on!

N.B. NOT recommended if you have a boyfriend who gets jealous easily... :-/
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 3:56 AM GMT

Crazy About Cupcakes
Crazy About Cupcakes
by Krystina Castella

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been better..., 7 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Crazy About Cupcakes (Paperback)
I was a little disappointed with this book to be honest.
The recipes are ok and the cupcakes turn out ok, but they're nothing special, at least I don't think so.
Despite that, the book is user friendly, as in, it contains plenty of info about frostings, ingredients and loads of decorating techniques (however I would REALLY only recommend that if you're catering for 5 yr olds).
I was after something a little more sophisticated i think and I just couldn't get round the fact that most of the cupcakes looked like a child had made them!
Sorry!

500 Cupcakes: The Only Cupcake Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Cooking (Sellers))
by Fergal Connolly

4.0 out of 5 stars cupcakes cupcakes everywhere!, 7 Mar. 2008
This lovely little book is just the perfect size to have next to you whilst you're baking, especially if you have a tiny kitchen like myself! There's so many recipes in here to try and all very different, you're bound to find one to suit your mood: sweet, savoury, flowery, low fat.... I've only tried a couple but they've turned out better than recipes from other sources.
Although the American cup measuring system really isn't as easy as it's cracked up to be (but only for us british), after a few attempts, you can kind of work out how to do it the proper way! After that, it'll be smooth sailing through all 500 recipes!