Profile for Clementi > Reviews

Content by Clementi

Clementi "Inveterate romantic and lover of 19th Century (and earlier) European literature with an obsession for Dostoyevsky!"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Neewer 52 mm Starburst Twinkle Effect Filter for All Camera Lens
Neewer 52 mm Starburst Twinkle Effect Filter for All Camera Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice effects for a very reasonable price, 24 April 2016
Very nice effects for a very reasonable price. If anything, the effect is a little TOO pronounced (see photos, both were taken through a glass window though) but possibly I just need to play around with it more. It also works with indoor lights etc. Very pretty indeed. :-)
Comment Comment | Permalink

MK-N-AF1-B Budget version extension tube set Professional extension tube set, design for Nikon DSLR.
Offered by HK-Mcoplus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great extension tubes. You MUST buy them!!, 24 April 2016
These are truly fantastic. I do a lot of macro photography and normally use either a dedicated macro lens or a macro filter but I don't think I will bother with either now as these are SO good.

The fit beautifully and click into place super easily. The quality of photos they allow you to take is fantastic.

I am very happy indeed.
Comment Comment | Permalink

8x Step Up + 8x Step Down Ring Filter UV CPL Set 49 52 55 58 62 72 77 82mm Stepping Adapter 49-82mm 82-49mm for Nikon Canon DC147
Offered by XCSOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, metal stepping rings., 24 April 2016
These are excellent. They are made of a metal type material and fit very snugly. Just bear in mind that, as with all stepping rings, if you are stepping down a LOT, then you will have to edit the photo afterwards to get rid of the black circle which occurs due to the parameters of the bigger lens being greater than the actual filter. This is the case with ALL stepping rings. I really love them and am very pleased with them.

AI-52MM Macro Reverse Adapter Ring,K&F Concept® 52mm Filter Thread Lens Macro Reverse Ring Camera Mount Adapter for Nikon AI AF Lens D5300 D5200 D5100 D3300 D3200 D3100 DSLR Cameras
Offered by dcmall

5.0 out of 5 stars Camera MUST be on fully Manual setting or it will not work!!, 9 April 2016
When I first bought this I could not get it to work at all, my Nikon D3200 simply constantlhy said "No Lens Attached". I actually began a refund and return procedure but then Goolged on the correct way to use reverse adapters and discovered a few things!

Firstly, you MUST have your camera on the FULLY MANUAL setting, any type of auto setting and it will not work, only on fully manual does it work. You may have focussing problems and so you may find certain types of lenses work better but, I have now used it with my normal Nikon basic lens attached and it does work but you need to play around with aperture settings, flash settings, film speed etc. I ended up shooting on a Hi D setting (I think that is what it was) and then it worked great.

Seriously, if there is any auto business going on, it will not work. With my Nikon D3200 there is one setting alone which allows you to be fully manual and it has to be on this setting. Flash compensation is usually needed and, if you have any problems with getting the built-in flash to go off, simply use a slave unit or cable attach an external flash. I always slave my external flash and you can set the settings to override any other settings and insist it goes off!

If you do these things, it really is a great piece of kit and far, far, far cheaper than some other alternatives but still achieving the same (or reasonably similar) results.

Photos are of water, food coloring and washing-up liquid, using the reverse lens attachment as a microscope.

:-)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Become Ageless Instantly with Premier Face Lift - Remove Wrinkles, Bags, Lines, Puffiness & Dark Circles Instantly -5 Vials 1ml Each - 5ml Total -Powerful Anti-Wrinkle Microcream Compared to Jeunesse
Offered by USA-Cosmetics and More

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow a few simple rules and it works..., 16 Feb. 2016
OK, this is great stuff but.. the white residue it leaves can be a problem. I have found a few things help out with the white residue...

(1) When you put it on, rub it in! The instructions indicate you kind of dab it on and leave it wet (you DO leave it damp) but, if you do this, you end up looking like you have painted your eyes with Tippex - not a great look! So rub it in and try to cover a whole area rather than just in the lines or wrinkles as this gives better coverage and doesn't look so blotchy.

(2) I found using a hyluronic acid formula overnight helps to remove the darkened skin around the eyes so that, when you apply this facelift stuff, the skin does not look dappled! I use a L'Oreal revitalift one, it's called Revitalift filler and it comes in a grey tube and is specifically for eyes.

(3) Although the instructions say you must keep you face still for three minutes after applying, I would suggest you give it a good half an hour before going out anywhere because the white residue doesn't really become evident until AT LEAST half an hour later. Initially you think "I have gotten away with it, no white residue" but if you go out at this point, by the time you arrive, you WILL have white residue all over your face! This is why rubbing it in quite well seems to help as it avoids the very patchy white and streaked lines appearing so some extent.

(4) You cannot use make-up over the top of this as it kind of sets, feels a bit like plastic under your eyes. Be careful to only smile with your mouth because if you smile iwth your whole face, you get a kind of a puckering in the skin. Imagine cling film which has been stretched about, and that is what your face will look like!

However, all these things aside, IT DOES WORK! It will probably take you a day or two to work out the best way for you, I used up at least one tube making errors!

I have posted some before and after photos below which (hopefully!) demonstrate how it works. I have really TERRIBLE lines and wrinkles and Very black marks within them and so, if you don't, then it will almost definitely look much better than mine does. I am no beauty but I find this stuff does raise my self-esteem a bit which is why I wanted it.

I would definitely buy more.

Bling Jewelry 2.5ct Solitaire Oval CZ Engagement Ring Silver Plated
Bling Jewelry 2.5ct Solitaire Oval CZ Engagement Ring Silver Plated
Offered by Bling Jewelry

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER - Had this ring about 6 weeks and the silver has worn off at the back of the ring as picture, 6 July 2015
***UPDATE***

When I wrote this review, this ring was listed as "silver" and NOT "silver-plated" as it is now. After I posted my review saying that it clearly WAS NOT SILVER, I noticed that they had changed the listing to read "silver-plated". As I noted, I had bought this ring for a friend who was in hospital and had lost weight so her rings no longer fitted. I ended up buying a second one PURELY because I felt terrible that it had so tarnished and wasn't silver after all, despite me telling her it was as the listing indicated it was.

At no point did the company contact me to apologise, to offer a replacement or to offer my money back. I posted my review only six weeks after purchase but too later, it seems, for Amazon auto-replacement or refund service.
I WOULD NEVER BUY FROM THIS SELLER AGAIN AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND OTHERS DO AS THEY CLEARLY ALTER THEIR LISTINGS AS NEEDED. I bought this ring at considerably more cost than they are now selling it for incidentally. But they were clearly happy to sell a silver-plated ring and pretend it was silver, charge accordingly, until found out. At which point they reduced the price and changed the listing, without offering me any recompense at all. Disgraceful.

THIS RING IS NOT NOW, AND NEVER WAS, SILVER. THEY ARE DECEITFUL AND, WHEN CAUGHT OUT, MAKE NO ATTEMPT TO CONTACT THE BUYER.

Is this real silver or not? Had this ring about 6 weeks and the silver has worn off at the back of the ring as pictured (looks like it's at a join point) and also on one side of the ring. Both really noticeable rendering the ring unwearable. Silver can't do this, clearly this cannot be silver! It isn't tarnished, I tried cleaning it lightly with a silver cloth and it made no difference. Very, very, very disappointed as I bought this for a friend who is ill in hospital and clearly it isn't what it claims to be.
Comment Comment | Permalink

BERRICLE Silver 3.73 Carat Princess Canary Yellow CZ 3-Stone Art Deco Engagement Ring Set
Offered by BERRICLE

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap looking, plasticky ring. Avoid., 4 April 2015
These rings come stuck together with a tiny little paper tab which, the seller informs you once you've bought it, if removed, makes the rings unreturnable. I was horribly disappointed in the main ring - I'm prepared to believe it IS silver, but it looks like a cheap, plasticky silver, the like of which I've not seen before! If I try to wear it together with my (silver) wedding ring, it looks absurd, people have actually commented on it asking why I'm wearing it as it just looks nasty. I would have returned it immediately but, in order to properly try it on (I didn't actually want the half-eternity which was stuck together with the ring so you couldn't separate them, and so had to remove the tab in order to try it on. So now I am stuck with a nasty ring, looks like something out of a Christmas Cracker - seriously, it's that bad. Very unhappy and would suggest that people who want a cheap alternative to a real engagement ring, look for other alternatives. You get what you pay for I suppose. But, at over £50 this is NOT worth even a third of the money. I wish I could return it, I truly do! I had no idea that with Amazon approved products you could get 'stuck' with something like this because you'd tried something on. Do not buy.

Napoleon the Great
Napoleon the Great
by Andrew Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Great author, Great research., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Napoleon the Great (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous book, really, truly fabulous! I have the audible version and am enjoying it so much! As others have said, there is a bias, he obviously has great sympathy with Napoleon, the man, and you can understand why in a way as he includes a real warts and all story where you come to see him a bit as a loveable, if dreadfully misguided at times, rogue. I think the title gives the clue as to where Andrew Roberts is coming from (The Great!) and he doesn't try to hide his bias - he's very upfront about it in his author's introduction so at least you know where he's coming from and what you are getting.

Despite his sympathies towards Napoleon,he does manage to include even the most negative aspects although perhaps he doesn't focus on them as others have done or would do. On the other hand, Napoleon's life is so full of myth-information and legend that it's nice to have a properly researched book such as this which tries to cut through all the stories and tales which have arisen over the centuries, and focus on real events which definitely happens.

There is also great humor in this book and I love author's who do that with straight history books. He mentions Josephine's marvellous sexual abilities including something (which we never really get to the bottom of - no pun intended!) called "zig zag" which I guess is best left to each reader's imagination (mine is quite good!) but he really personalises the characters and makes them 'real' if that makes sense.

I found it to be a thoroughly wonderful book which I would have no hesitation in recommending to others.

Sir William Waad, Lieutenant of the Tower, and the Gunpowder Plot
Sir William Waad, Lieutenant of the Tower, and the Gunpowder Plot
by Fiona Bengtsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Excellent Piece of Diligent Research by Ms Bengsten, 5 Feb. 2015
This is an excellent, independently researched and published-on-demand book which really does deserve a wider audience than I imagine it has. Possibly the fact that William Waad is not particularly well known unless you happen to be a Jacobean or Gunpowder Plot nut (yes, that would be me!) but he really was a fascinating fellow and well worthy of further investigation.

Ms Bengsten provides copious notes and a very decent bibliography, she references quotes and doesn't just leave you guessing as to who said what to whom (which so many books do!) She's clearly very knowledgeable about this entire subject and, as someone who is writing a book on another subject but the Gunpowder Plot features in a minor way and therefore I suppose I do know the story reasonably well, I found Ms Bengsten's book contained many little tidbits of information that I hadn't previously read elsewhere (not even in the super-marvellous Antonia Fraser "The Gunpowder Plot" book).

I do wish history was higher up publishers list but it rarely is - this whole story has such a genuinely fascinating, larger than life, stranger than fiction, narrative that it still warrants more books on it and I daresay it's one of those historical events which will warrant books for years to come but, for the sake of this review, I would urge anyone who is interested in the Gunpowder Plot, or even just in the machinations of this horrible little man (William Waad!), to give Ms Bengsten's book a go as it really is a little gem and well worth the money invested.

Considering The Gunpowder Plot never actually resulted in an explosion , it has to be the best known historical failure of all time!

Great book, I highly recommend it and commend the author for her hard work and diligence in producing new information and evidence for what is a very old, and repeatedly told, tale. Great job. :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2015 5:31 PM GMT

Gwynne's Latin: The Ultimate Introduction to Latin Including the Latin in Everyday English
by N.M. Gwynne

1.0 out of 5 stars Some very bizarre ideas..., 17 Jan. 2015
Absolutely hated this book. He is a jack of all trades and seems to teach every subject under the sun with no particular expertise in any of them (which is half the problem I think as he seems clueless as to the most basic (and obvious) reasons why Classical Latin has been taught as it has, very successfully, for a very long time. I take issue mostly with his utterly bizarre approach to pronunciation - he appears to believe that it's better to pronounce it 'wrongly' (his words) to begin with and then somehow, magically, learn to pronounce it correctly at a later point - presumably when you've thrown his book away.

It reminds me of a strange system set up in British schools in the mid to late 1970's whereby they decided to teach children to read and spell phonetically (I can't remember what it was called offhand - I'm sure Google will know!) ... Great idea (not) as it meant that children did indeed learn to read and/or write fairly quickly, and possibly quicker than they had in the past, but then they were almost totally unable to switch to normal spelling at a later point (which should have been obvious but apparently wasn't!)

Seriously, to anyone who has an iota of intelligence , PLEASE avoid this book and get yourself pretty much any other! I don't particularly favour any other particular course or book but the Cambridge Latin Course (also sold by Amazon I imagine) is very good, pronounces correctly from the beginning and is not quite so patronising as Mr Gwynne.

I would avoid this like the plague if you ever intend to say anything out aloud in Latin rather than just amusing yourself within the confines of his book on a wet Sunday afternoon. It is quite simply one of the worst Latin 'trainers' I have ever seen (and I've seen a few)!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2016 12:33 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4