Profile for PR > Reviews

The Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard Training Manual: As Used by Dad's Army
The Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard Training Manual: As Used by Dad's Army
by Captain George Mainwaring

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 Oct. 2016
I bought this on the strength of the reviews, but I really didn't enjoy the book at all. It is nothing like the tv programme, did not make me laugh or smile once and is written in contemporary grammar that Arthur Lowe et al simply did not use. Zero nostalgia and a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. I literally put it in the bin once I had read it.

Essential Karate Book: For White Belts, Black Belts and All Levels in Between [Dvd Included]
by Graeme Lund

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but how much karate can you learn from a book?, 18 Sept. 2016
As a book on karate, it's fine... one of the better ones, in fact. The problem is that, having practised karate myself on and off for over 20 years, I have found that it is nigh on impossible to learn from a book. Ok, you can read about the history and etiquette of karate, but for the correct movements nothing beats a training session with your instructor. A bit like trying to learn to drive a car by reading a book...

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on, really lifts what was otherwise a pretty ..., 1 Jun. 2016
Looks great on, really lifts what was otherwise a pretty bland, matt black helmet. The tint is very light and does not affect vision during riding. However, fitting it - especially without instructions - was very fiddly. The main pivot pins are NOT symmetrical, so don't mix up right and left. I also had to use some jewellers screwdrivers to undo some of the tiny screws. The whole process took me about 45 minutes, though I could probably do it in 10 now I know what you're supposed to do.

The Complete Book of Classic and Modern Triumph Motorcycles 1937-Today
The Complete Book of Classic and Modern Triumph Motorcycles 1937-Today
by Ian Falloon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to read, less great to hold, 10 Nov. 2015
Well-written text, interesting history and some great photos, this book also gives a very detailed year-on-year description of model updates. The only real downside is the size and weight of the book: you almost need to sit at a table to read it.

Everyday Modifications for Your MGB, GT and GTV8: How to Make Your Classic Car Easier to Live With and Enjoy
by Roger Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MGB book I have bought in 2 years of hunting, 24 May 2015
I have been looking for the 'ideal' MGB for nearly 2 years now and have accumulated a fair number of books on buying and restoring. I have to say that this is the most informative and useful book so far. It is extremely comprehensive and packed with real-life images of owners' tweaks to their cars. Just the sort of projects I intend doing... only with advice on the pitfalls, parts suppliers and things to be aware of, like how the chrome bumper conversion is a lot more involved than just buying a bolt-on kit. Apparently, there's cutting and welding needed - eeek, I think I'll go for a car that's already had the operation!

The Planets (Eyewitness)
The Planets (Eyewitness)
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than it looks at first sight, 24 Feb. 2015
Browsing this book, I thought it might be more for children - it certainly LOOKS as if it has been designed with children in mind - but when it arrived, I was pleased to discover it was quite technical, while remaining very accessible, thanks to the wonderfully modern layout. I have several books on space, astronomy and the solar system, but this is one of the better ones. It is also only about half the thickness of DK's other large science tomes (which I also have), which makes it much easier to hold physically.

Philips HTL5140B/12 2.1 Channel Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but sync issues, 4 Nov. 2014
Fantastic sound boost to my already very acceptable 2013 Philips 55" 7000 series. Easy to install - I went with an optical output - but perfect audio/video synchronisation is proving tricky, despite having adjustment settings on both the bar and on my tv. Also, the bar comes in three parts; these are easy enough to assemble, but only the centre part has screw holes for wall mounting. This means that if, as I did, you choose to mount it on the wall beneath your tv, the left and right sections 'droop' very slightly. A design oversight there, Philips.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2015 4:08 PM GMT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Much chunkier in person than it looks on screen, 6 Aug. 2014
Looks cool on the screen, but it was waaaay chunkier than I thought when it arrived. Thought about it for literally 30 seconds and decided to return it. Pity - if they could make a smaller, slimmer version, it would be a hit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2015 1:56 PM BST

Logitech UE Smart Radio - White
Logitech UE Smart Radio - White
Offered by 3B-IT Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars More expensive than Squeezebox & fewer features, 2 Aug. 2014
Bought this as a replacement for my Squeezebox when the screen packed up after just 10 months. As has been said by other reviewers, the SmartRadio is NOT compatible with third-party apps like BBC iPlayer... unless you swap the firmware to Squeezebox in the Advanced Settings menu. Why do companies do this? The SB was great, so why did you mess with it and charge more for an inferior product?

Mazda MX-5 Renovation Manual
Mazda MX-5 Renovation Manual
by Paul Hardiman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, not technical enough, 2 Aug. 2014
Disappointing: I bought this on the strength of the reviews her, specifically to help me remove the front nose cone/bumper on my 2.5 FL, but information was sketchy at best and the whole book seems to be more relevant to owners of the Mk1. Also, the book has pointless sections on how to buy an MX5 and fit gaudy upgrades. This is not really a technical workshop manual and is too lightweight for serious restorers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6