Profile for J. Hubbard > Reviews

Content by J. Hubbard

J. Hubbard (Wyomondham, Norfolk)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and invaluable., 11 Mar. 2015
Works a treat with my Nikon D80. Inexpensive and very simple to use. I'm now delving into the world of high definition time-lapse with good results so far.

Duronic Black 15m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded Network Cable - High Speed 500MHz Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 14 Mar. 2014
Installed this cable and it ceased working within a month, spent more money on a new network adapter, not for one moment believing the cable could have been at fault, how wrong was I...

NEEWER Remote Shutter Release Cable for Nikon D70s/D80 MC-DC1
NEEWER Remote Shutter Release Cable for Nikon D70s/D80 MC-DC1
Offered by standbyonglobal

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., 14 Mar. 2014
Flimsy build, didn't work at all, waste of money. I suggest spending a little extra if, unlike myself, you can afford it.

Neewer® Funk Studio Blitz-RT-16 Trigger-4 Empfänger - 16 CHAN
Neewer® Funk Studio Blitz-RT-16 Trigger-4 Empfänger - 16 CHAN

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, avoid., 9 Dec. 2013
Bought this set and regretted it. The transmitter is a sealed unit, and once the internal battery runs out, that's your lot. I got a few sessions out of it before it packed up on me. You're better off spending a little (or a lot) extra on a name that can be trusted.

Class Of 1984 [DVD]
Class Of 1984 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Perry King
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A Blackboard Jungle remake for the 80's., 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Class Of 1984 [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this movie on vhs back in 1986. As other reviewers have pointed out: it is certainly prophetic, having predicted the increased level of violence within schools, the presence of metal detectors, the growing trend of vilifying the innocent and pandering to the perpetrators of violence.

This film is essentially a remake of The Blackboard Jungle, and raises the same issues. It's unfortunate that it degenerates into B-movie violence towards the end, but I still found myself gripped all the way to the end just the same.

RSP Night Burst 5 LED Front Bike / Cycle Light 5 LED White
RSP Night Burst 5 LED Front Bike / Cycle Light 5 LED White

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good light, but with one serious design flaw., 13 Nov. 2012
I bought this lamp to replace a previous RSP model that had worn out.

I was initially very impressed by this lamp; it has a very powerful beam for such a low price, and four additional led's that give a good view of the road to either side of the bike.

In addition, it has a transparent ring surrounding the casing of the lamp, which is illuminated and makes you visible to traffic from the sides, very useful when crossing roundabouts and passing turnings. However, it is this ring that has caused me a problem...

How this could not have been foreseen when being designed, I don't know, but by it's very nature, the "light ring" does of course, surround the entire light, rather than just the sides.

As a result, light is pouring from the top of the lamp, and when I first tested it, cycling to work along dark country lanes in the late evening, I found the glare to be overwhelming. I had to shield it with one hand in order to see ahead of me.

I have since had to cover the top of the lamp with black electrical tape and this has solved the problem, but I shouldn't have had to do this in the first place. (And yes, ok, I should perhaps have inspected the lamp a little more closely before buying it!)

So, bottom line: If you're only intending to use this light in a town or city environment, I'd recommend it, but I'd think twice before purchasing it for use in dark rural areas.

Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II (A3+ Printer, 4800 X 2400 dpi) Printer
Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II (A3+ Printer, 4800 X 2400 dpi) Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent prints, but very expensive to run., 23 Aug. 2012
I cannot fault the excellent quality of the prints that this machine produces, far exceeding any job I've had done in a photo lab. True greyscale printing is a first for me, having been used to the horrible blue or pink tints that previous, less expensive printers produce. My weather photography is reproduced to breathtaking effect, colours are absolutely spot-on.
However, be aware that you will need to spend money hand over fist in order to keep this printer full of ink. Expect to pay over £100 for a complete refill of the pigment cartridges that it takes (all 10 of them) And these cartridges empty out fast. This printer seems to suffer from the same ailment as many others I've tried in that it continuously runs cleaning cycles, wasting ink in the process. Tanks that were showing half full before I replaced neighbouring empty tanks suddenly show up as nearly empty themselves after a charging cycle, I can't seem to keep up with it.
If you are sucessfully selling your prints, then perhaps the cost of ink won't be such an issue.
One star dropped because of the outrageous cost and consumption of ink, but otherwise a fantastic printer.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and essential piece of kit., 5 Feb. 2012
Bought this stand after many, many years of trying to make repairs on my bike while it sat either propped up against a wall or rested upside-down on its saddle and handlebars. Can't imagine now how I ever did without this.

As other reviewers have noted: the pictures do not do this stand justice. (I'll be adding a picture of my own soon)

Make no mistake; this is a serious, solidly built piece of kit, well worth the price I paid for it and more besides.

The stand requires some very basic assembly that takes no more than five minutes. Hoist your bike up and into the clamp (suspend it either by its top-tube or saddle-post, I prefer the latter personally) and you're away.
The clamp can be rotated 360 degrees while your bike is in position, making it a doddle to reach and service all the bits that matter.
The main tube is telescopic, and can be adjusted to the desired height. And here is my only minor gripe: An allen key is needed for this action, when a quick-release lever would make this so much easier to do. Still, not a major problem and certainly not worth removing a star for.

This is a chunky, stable stand that will last you a lifetime if you look after it (and even if you don't!) Highly recommended and utterly indispensible!

Cateye EL135 Front Light -
Cateye EL135 Front Light -
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Cateye's usual high standard, 19 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Cateye EL135 Front Light - (Misc.)
I am a dedicated cyclist (not being a driver) and I have always sworn by Cateye products, having relied for years upon their high quality, high output lights for cycling in the country.

I was in need of a low drain l.e.d light for pottering around the town, and naturally turned to Cateye for a solution.

The HL-EL135 is very small, very smart in appearance, and most importantly does throw out a great deal of light for such a tiny lamp.

There is, however, a serious problem: It ISN'T waterproof! I first noticed this after a necessary cycle journey in the teeming rain; the light began to flicker and then eventually went out altogether. I had to open the battery cover and wipe the batteries and terminals in order to get it to work again. Closer inspection revealed that indeed, there was no rubber seal.
Not since I was a kid, when I had an old fashioned tin "lantern" style front lamp, have I ever come across a light that lacked this most basic requirement.

Therefore, whilst I can certainly recommend this light for leisure cycling (not off-road, of course) I don't recommend you use this if you are biking to work in foul weather. Might be best to spend a little extra.

Freecom Classic 500GB External HDD, USB2 Black
Freecom Classic 500GB External HDD, USB2 Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Freecom Classic 500GB External Hard Drive, 27 Aug. 2009
I've had this drive for about a month now. No problems to report so far. It's tidy, it's quiet, and it's fast (despite having to operate on a USB1 port)
It's about the size of a vhs cassette and feels very solidly built. It hasn't yet suffered any ill effects from being repeatedly stuffed into a rucksack and carried around the country. (I live in a crappy area, and burglary concerns cause me to take it everywhere I go!)
Just a tip: make sure you quick-format the drive to NTFS before you start using it.
I've given this product four stars rather than five,just because if it packs up on me and I lose all my files, I'll be forced to eat my words.