Profile for Monsieur le B > Reviews

Content by Monsieur le B

Monsieur le B "pain de chèvre" (Provence, France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Alone In The Universe
Alone In The Universe
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Get It Out Of My Head!, 23 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Alone In The Universe (Audio CD)
I am truly impressed with this. On first listen I thought 'Well this is pretty good, very Jeff Lynne, but no real surprises'. Then I listened to it again after which I couldn't get the melodies or lyrics out of my head. They just followed me everywhere I went. After a third listen I was totally blown away by it. I really identified with 'When I Was A Boy', amazed by his knack of breaking out of a minor chord creation into a delicious major chord bridge on 'Love and Rain' and just couldn't stop reminiscing about the great Roy Orbison of 'In Dreams' on 'I'm Leaving You'. If you forced me to choose a favourite, it would be the more upbeat 'Dirty To The Bone' but really, I love it all. Even the two bonus tracks have merit although they don't hit the heights of the first 10. OK maybe there's nothing like the exceptionally unique 'Mr Blue Sky' here but I reckon it's his best work since 'Discovery'. Some say it's too short, but Jeff has rarely gone in for overly long albums. He believes in the 3 minute adult pop song and this is 38 minutes full of pure golden examples of that.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2015 10:27 PM GMT

Drones
Drones

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 24 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Drones (Audio CD)
Six people have given this 1 star. Really? I respect the liberty of expression but there is no way this could be defined as a 1 star album. Personally I think it is a masterpiece and I'm not a blindly prejudiced Muse fan. I'll leave the detailed reviews to others who have already taken the trouble. Great stuff.

Out of the Wasteland
Out of the Wasteland

5.0 out of 5 stars Their finest moment?, 31 May 2015
Lifehouse have made a real peach of an album here - a really grown up piece of work. Songs beautifully crafted and performed with real feeling. There is a real mixture of upbeat and reflective material here with some really outstanding moments such as the close almost Eagle like melodies of Yesterday's Son. There a few really unexpected and appealing chord changes such as on the reflective Flight whilst the upbeat opener Hurricane gets the party started in style. Whilst I loved early Lifehouse, they could be a tad depressing. I thought they came to life with 'Smoke & Mirrors' and then dipped again a bit with 'Almeria'. It may be a bit to early to say after just two listens, but this new offering may well be their finest moment, much more varied both in mood and style than anything they have done before. And don't be fooled by the 'bonus track' label for the last two tracks - they set the same high standard as the tracks that go before. It all makes for very refreshing package which shines way above most of the dross produced today.

Toto XIV (Bonus DVD)
Toto XIV (Bonus DVD)
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Toto XIV (Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
This is probably Toto's best ever album and, apart from those members that are no longer with us, this is probably their best ever line-up. Original members Steve Lukather, David Paich and Steve Porcaro are there together with Joseph Williams, who was their lead vocalist in the late 80's and returned to them in 2010. He has really made a difference with his great vocal range and energy which sounds as impressive live as it does in the studio. Even original bassist, David Hungate appears from time to time and is now part of the touring band.

There are so many musical styles to savour here, from rock to blues to jazz influenced beats to reflective ballads. The melodies are full of hooks, the harmonies are brilliant, the musicianship exceptional and the production crystal clear. It would be wrong to pick out individual tracks. Whilst some stand out on first listen the rest hook you over time and this is when you realise what a brilliant musical package this is. The lyrics range from love poetry to social and political comment and are certainly the strongest they have ever written. A brilliant album which will be hard for anyone to top for some time.

lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar
lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar

4.0 out of 5 stars Wispy voice, gutsy music, 18 Mar. 2015
I have never been a big fan of Plant's voice but on this album it doesn't seem to matter. The big feature of this album are the instrumentals and Plant's voice neither augments nor spoils this, although I acknowledge his major input as a writer on this album. The infectious mainly African style rhythms are the focal point and are brilliantly played by the band. I love the first 6 tracks. After that I think the album falls away a bit, hence only 4 stars. It is to some extent reminiscent of Peter Gabriel's masterpiece 4 (security) album although, in my opinion, Gabriel's voice is in a different (higher) league. Nevertheless, I am impressed with 'Lullaby' and would recommend it to all those 'mature' rock fans out there.

Phosphorescent Harvest
Phosphorescent Harvest

4.0 out of 5 stars Material to match the voice, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Phosphorescent Harvest (Audio CD)
For me, Chris Robinson's voice is worth listening to whatever the quality of the material. He is quite simply brilliant. I also like the fact that this album is a bit more accessible than his other recent material. His voice is ideal to seduce you into a good old sing song whilst on the road which is when I find time to listen to much of my music. Unfortunately his solo material, whilst very worthy, doesn't always give the same opportunity. It lends itself more to listening to it in a darkened room with no other distractions, a luxury I don't often have. This album changes all that. Much more upbeat and varied, I think it has something for every Robinson fan. A really good album.

Tell 'Em I'm Gone
Tell 'Em I'm Gone
Offered by Leisurezone

4.0 out of 5 stars Cat Is Back, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tell 'Em I'm Gone (Audio CD)
I think this album marks the real return of Cat Stevens as opposed to Yusuf. Its largely acoustic qualities remind me of 'The Tea for the Tillerman' era but for the most part this is a bluesy album interspersed in parts with Stevie Wonder 'Superstition' type rhythms and synthesisers. Half the album is original and the rest is made up of covers, but his take on those covers make them sound like Cat Stevens originals and are probably marginally stronger than the new material. Whilst I liked 'An Other Cup' and 'Roadsinger', I thought they betrayed an identity crisis - was he Yusuf or Cat Stevens? As a result I thought they lacked cohesion.This time however he most definitely sounds like Cat and is all the better for it. He may not have reached the dizzy heights of his heyday but this is an excellent return to form. Any fan of the 1970's Stevens should buy this.

Mr. Moonlight
Mr. Moonlight
Offered by Media-Seller

5.0 out of 5 stars Best overall Foreigner album, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Mr. Moonlight (Audio CD)
I have always been a big Foreigner fan but they are one of those bands that have made some classic tracks without making a classic album. They changed all that with Mr Moonlight. I bought this 20 years ago on its first release and I still love it. Every track is beautifully crafted with great melodies and lyrics. The sound is very clearly that of Foreigner but is more mellow, refined and mature than their previous work. I don't think this was a big hit with the public but it certainly was and still is with me. I think it would appeal to a wide audience not just die hard fans. Melodic rock at its best. Not a weak track in sight.

Morning Phase
Morning Phase

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Album? no way, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Morning Phase (Audio CD)
I guess I'll get some hate mail after this review. I listen to and buy a lot of music, but for some reason Beck has always passed me by. So I thought I would give his latest offering a try, after all he has just won a Grammy for the best album. Well I have to say I'm really disappointed. For me, it is pleasant in a dreamy background music while falling asleep kind of way. But it is all too one paced without any real contrast between tracks and certainly not dynamic enough for my taste. So while I won't rubbish it, I probably won't play it often. I really don't know how it won best album ahead of say Tom Petty's 'Hypnotic Eye' for example. Sorry Beck fans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2015 1:56 PM GMT

Echo
Echo
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictably simple and a winner, 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
Musically Tom Petty intentionally keeps his music simple. He doesn't believe in complicated chord sequences. Indeed you could argue that his music is predictably simple. You can pretty much guess the next chord or melody line. On the other hand his lyrical turn of phrase is masterful. Put the two together and you have a truly winning formula which works, in fact improves, time after time. This 1999 album is smack in the middle of a great run which started with Full Moon Fever and continues today with his latest piece of magic, Hypnotic Eye. Another Petty gem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10