Profile for Chinatown Blue > Reviews

Content by Chinatown Blue
Top Reviewer Ranking: 957

Chinatown Blue "cthulhoid" (S-O-T, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sistema Hydrate Tritan Swift Bottle, 600 ml - Assorted Colours
Sistema Hydrate Tritan Swift Bottle, 600 ml - Assorted Colours

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, leakproof, useful, 9 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good piece of kit for school or college students, cyclists, hikers, anyone who needs to take a drink out with them. It looks nice and is easy enough to open and close, and it really doesn't leak. The one I have has been carted back and forth to college in a bag full of art materials and sketchbooks, and the only wet that got on anything was when I spilled a bit down the side when filling it. It's been washed and reused over and over again with no signs of discolouration (and we are in an area with very hard water, so most clear plastic gets marked pretty quickly). It's durable too, having survived dropping and accidentally getting kicked. I've also found that when cooled in the fridge the outside gets less condensation on it than the old water bottle I was using. It holds enough water to get a teenager through six hours of study on a hot day. All in all, this does the job excellently.

Command Medium Brushed Nickel Metal Hook
Command Medium Brushed Nickel Metal Hook

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 31 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It wasn't easy to follow the instructions for this, and not because they were unclear - I just couldn't find rubbing alcohol. In the end I used a medical surgical spirit wipe. Once the surface was ready I found it really simple to apply the adhesive and stick it to the wall. The hook slides easily off and on the base. I have been using it for hanging up my daughter's college bag, which weighs a lot, and had no problems at all. I moved it to a new location today and I did find a small amount of paint came off the wall when the base was removed, though I followed the instructions exactly. The hook is now in a new location and holding just as well using the second adhesive strip supplied, so no issues there. My only problem has been that small amount of damage to the surface, and that may be because I used the wrong kind of alcohol.

Aurora World 15639 9-Inch "Donutella" Plush Toy
Aurora World 15639 9-Inch "Donutella" Plush Toy
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, high quality, cuddly, 13 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an adorable toy. The design is very cute, the materials high quality, and the plush feels lovely and soft. The label carries charming little stories for both the Tokidoki range and this character, Donutella. There are no age warnings so I assume it is suitable for all ages. My teenage daughter, 8 year old nephew and 6 year old niece love it, and so do I.

Honeywell HYF260E QuietSet Tower Fan with Remote Control, White
Honeywell HYF260E QuietSet Tower Fan with Remote Control, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective cooling, 10 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Be warned, there is some assembly required for this fan and it is a bit fiddly here and there. It would be easier with two but you can do it solo, just be sure you read the instruction manual before you begin. It took me about 20 minutes to get it up and running. You will also need two AAA batteries (not supplied) for the remote, which I did find rather hard to open, but eventually it gave in and let me insert batteries.

The fan looks nice enough, and the base design raises the cooling vents a bit higher than most tower fans I've had. It looks a bit fragile and I was worried that it would be unstable - in fact I couldn't see how it would oscillate at all. But it does swivel, with quite a wide arc, and even at maximum speed there is no wobble at all. The controls are pretty simple to master and I found the remote works from a distance of fifteen feet. You can set it on timer, as with most fans like this. There is a light when it is operating but after 15 seconds this does dim to 50% so I can't see it disturbing your slumber; it only resumes full brightness when you change settings.

There are five speed settings; when you switch on the fan does kick in over the lowest setting but it drops to that very quickly (assuming that's what you last set it to). Lowest level gives a pleasant enough little breeze, and is fairly quiet. There are clear differences between levels both in cooling power and noise level. I found the highest to be pretty chilly, and uncomfortably loud, so I think I'll save that for sweltering days. But on anything from 1 - 3 I had no need to increase volume on my tv or pc to compensate for the noise, and was pleasantly cool. I deduct a star for two reasons: one, that my cat does not like it at all and has tried to paw at the cable, which can be seen clearly inside the base; and two, the fiddly assembly. Apart from that, it's a good, effective cooler for the summer.

Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro Power Flosser - White Edition 2nd Generation
Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro Power Flosser - White Edition 2nd Generation

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of time, 18 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This device comes with a two-pin plug on the charger, and no adapter for UK plug sockets. Luckily I have a two pin to three pin adapter and was able to charge it, but if you don't have one you won't be able to use this in the UK. That's not really a problem, since it doesn't actually do anything. I have tried it using both water and mouthwash in the reservoir, and on all three settings. The settings don't increase the power of the spray, by the way, they just mean you get either one burst of spray, two, or three. All it does it give you a short spritz. The spray is not powerful enough to do anything much. On one occasion I had a small shred of chicken stuck between two teeth. After using this on its highest setting, repeatedly, I still had that chicken stuck in there, and a mouthful of water. I used a toothpick, it was quicker and less messy. My advice is to waste no money on this, you could achieve the same by buying a cheap toy water pistol and shooting it into your mouth.

Maped Color'peps Superhero paint - Fluo & Metallic colour pack
Maped Color'peps Superhero paint - Fluo & Metallic colour pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright, showy colours, fun to use, 14 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These nifty little bottles are easy to open and easy to hold, and I had no problems controlling the flow of paint when dropping them into a tray for use (a great help if you don't want to squirt it everywhere). The colours are good, very bright. They also dry very closely to how they look wet. There is a reasonable amount in each bottle. We tried them on paper, card, fabric, clay and vinyl. On paper it did soak through a bit, you don't need to use a lot. Card was better though on some coloured card it bled a bit. On fabric it soaked straight through, be sure to put something underneath the working area, but it did look good. Didn't wash particularly well but as good as anything else I've tried. On clay it needed a couple of coats but I was quite pleased with the results even after baking at low temperature. On vinyl it was simply a disaster, just dripped off very rapidly. It dried quickly on card or paper but the rest took a while. And it does come off hands fairly easily with just soap and water, no need of anything more.

The Unwomanly Face of War (Penguin Classics)
The Unwomanly Face of War (Penguin Classics)
by Svetlana Alexievich

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but a slow start, 14 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a very slow starter - I found the opening very heavy going indeed. The author spends a tremendous amount of time explaining why she wrote the book, what she wanted to do, and what response she got from the interviewees, the publishers, and the public. I understand that when she began it was a different world, and that she had to deal with cultural and political barriers. But it did drag on. And the initial collection of reminiscences seemed a bit repetitive - girls having their hair cut, being told they were too young, too girly, to be of use. But after the first couple of chapters she seems to find her feet and the stories become more vivid, more gripping, more individual. I wasn't looking for horror stories, though no memoir of war can be without them, but I found the women's memories touched my emotions in a great many ways. At the end I felt great sadness for their sufferings and for what they lost of themselves on the battlefields, but equal hope and comfort seeing what they kept of their humanity and femininity. It is a fascinating read, if you can get past that trudging start.

LaCie Rugged Mini 1 TB USB-C + USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac
Offered by BUY & ENJOY

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky, functional, tough as nails., 25 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this the moment I saw it, just for the jazzy colour. But everything else about it is good. I have used this with a desktop pc running on Windows 7, a netbook using Vista, and a laptop on Windows 8. It connected easily with all of them (unlike my main external drive which is a WD Elements Portable and which refuses to connect with the netbook at all). The connection was fast and data travelled both ways flawlessly. I've used it for shunting music and photos, mainly, and found it excellent for the purpose. My daughter has now collared it and uses it for college, as it is excellent for transferring her artwork and animations from home to the college computers and back. (I believe the college uses Macbooks, and it links to them easily too). It has been a godsend for her, as it really is as tough as they claim. She has dyspraxia, and is very prone to dropping things or accidentally banging them around. She has been using a memory stick which could be stored on her college lanyard but the capacity is inadequate. With this nifty little drive she has ample space and it has taken everything she can dish out. Her last external drive lasted two weeks before it fell out of her bag on a staircase and was trashed; this one fell out of her pocket and got booted across a refectory without the least problem. Highly recommended!

Yardley London English Lavender EDT 125 ml
Yardley London English Lavender EDT 125 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars New packaging, traditional fragrance, 7 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the old Yardley English Lavender scent, but in a new style of bottle and packaging. The scent is just as it was, a pleasant, sweet, floral aroma. The outer box has a very pretty design with violets and lavender mingled. The bottle is a very nice, stylish shape. It's easy to get the bottle out of the packaging so it's fine for those of us who have arthritic fingers, and the spray is easy to work and doesn't drip. I didn't think this needed any changes but as long as the perfume is as nice as ever any lady with a fondness for floral fragrances will appreciate it.

BLACK+DECKER 18 V Lithium-Ion 2-in-1 Dustbuster Hand Vacuum with Floor Extension, 36 W/H

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed but a bit noisy, 3 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging on this is excellent; it holds the machine and parts perfectly, but it was easy to get everything out unaided. The instructions are clear, the parts simple to identify, and it was amazing how easily I could fit it together and take it apart. Normally, being arthritic, I struggle with this kind of device, but not with this. It isn't the lightest portable vacuum I've had, but it isn't anything like the heaviest and I find it very comfortable to use.

I've used it on the stairs and in a car, and also in a shed which is very popular with the cat, and I am very happy with the result. The suction is excellent, it fetches up cat fur and human hair with ease. It worked equally well on carpet, concrete steps, and a wooden floor. It doesn't clog up as badly as all my other cleaners have (there is a warning light for when the filter needs cleaning, which does work very well), which is a huge plus. The battery is short lived - I averaged ten minutes of use - but it doesn't take a long time to charge and I could clean an entire Suzuki Celerio in that time. The dust container holds a good amount, too.

There are just two things that got this a one-star deduction. One is that short battery life, and the other is - it's noisy. My mother is very deaf and she thought it a bit loud. It was worse in the car and the shed, with it being in a confined space. but even in the house I thought it really rackety. In fact when I use it I wear my earphones and try to block it out, and I don't use it when the neighbour is on the night shift. Apart from that this is a great cleaner, with very good cleaning power and some terrific useful features.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20