Profile for Jonathan M. Balmer > Reviews

Content by Jonathan M. Balmer

Jonathan M. Balmer "Jon Balmer" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Keepers: Part 1: WWIII
The Keepers: Part 1: WWIII

1.0 out of 5 stars It took time but this is not my cup of tea, 5 July 2011
I have had real trouble with this novel, I couldn't believe that it could actually be disguised wish fulfillment of some one who wanted to get off his chest some of the apparent wrongs heaped by history on to the Nationalist Socialist party and it's leader post World War 2 but after sticking at it I realised that what ever it was it made me uncomfotable. The book is written at such a level that I did wonder if I had bought a book for young adults or teenagers, but after reading the first review it seems the writing is at a level lower than I normally read.
On the whole I can see that the author had several points to push and push them he does but they seem to make the rest of the book contrived.
Not in the league of other Military Sci Fi a bad read.

Eye Of The Storm (Posleen War)
Eye Of The Storm (Posleen War)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sign me up for the next one JR, 15 Nov. 2010
Good study of the tactical problems of dealing with a new protaganist, nice curve ball with the cover illustration didn't catch on too early, Darheel stink and get theirs big time (at last).
High casualties, great weapon systems, big warships, evil alien scum, SS reformed and containing a Jewish regiment (priceless) what is not to like!!!!
Looking forward to the next one but hope the ACS get a look in the armoured suits of destruction and horror to our enemies are the icing on any Posleen killers cake so lets hope they manage to get stuck into the new threat.

Live Free Or Die (Troy Rising)
Live Free Or Die (Troy Rising)
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph of the Free Market if not the Free World, 15 Nov. 2010
Although I have some trouble with the term Revenuer being a government employee involved in taxation I won't dwell on the aspects of the book that got in the way of my enjoyment of a good read.
JR has created another vehicle for his own brand of Republican Sci Fi and fair play to him, I have enjoyed reading the book which has a good pace and many moments that made me laugh out loud.
The idea of a war fought over a simple product of the Rebs / Mountian folk is genius as a plot driver.
The friendly aliens are a right laugh and the unfriendly aliens easy to hate. So if you like a good Sci romp that has humour, action,a decent plot and the odd rant about how awfull people like me are because we've never done a decent days work in our lives and just get in the way of more wortwhile hard working people with our basic inefficiency then this is the book for you. I will be checking out the next one in the series and am a big fan of JR's work in general.

Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass)
Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass)

4.0 out of 5 stars Puts the Science in Science Fiction, 12 Nov. 2007
This brought back memories of my first E.E.Doc Smith reads years ago when I first began reading Sci - Fi, the explanation of the Science at the end of the book is a revelation I just wish I'd read it first!
I can't help but like the idea of a submarine belting through space solving knarly quantum physics problems yet still taking the time to meet and kill dangerous if somewhat innocent alien life forms. Still if a lifeform chooses to eat first and not bother to ask questions later it deserves the maximum application of fire power with extreme prejudice.
Alot is packed in with plenty o of science, action, casualties, new alien life forms,weapons and even a little teaser running through the whole book. What's not to like

Road To Damascus (Bolos)
Road To Damascus (Bolos)
by JOHN RINGO

3.0 out of 5 stars Bolos - but a little too much politics, 22 Oct. 2007
I have read most of the Bolo's series and have acopy of the original book in which Keith Laumer launched the seed of the Bolo's thread. I prefer my Bolo's to spend most of the book blowing up stuff and solving battlefield problems rather than being confused and duped by politico's.
Saying that it is not a bad read if you can put aside the thinly disguised political rhetoric, I don't think Bolo's need to be corrupted by this when they could be vapourising the Deng or better still melting Melchonians.

Page: 1 | 2