Profile for Abdie > Reviews

Content by Abdie

Abdie

Alan Rogers - The best campsites in Britain & Ireland 2014 (Alan Rogers Guides)
Alan Rogers - The best campsites in Britain & Ireland 2014 (Alan Rogers Guides)
by Alan Rogers Guides

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not comprehensive, 22 Aug. 2015
This was OK - but it's not comprehensive - there are other campsites not listed

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for long-distance running, 4 Jun. 2014
I was looking for something to carry my phone and spare cash on longer runs. This belt worked really well and I wouldn't be without it now. Although some people say it doesn't bounce around when full - in fact I found that it did a little - until I discovered the trick of wearing it to one side i.e. just over my hip bone - rather than at the back. It's been a really handy thing to have with me and has got me through many races and training runs!

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars Running as a philosophy for life, 4 Jun. 2014
For me, running has always been a time for thinking and reflecting. That's why this book really struck a chord with me because Murakami's succinct and clear prose makes me think that he developed the ideas for the book in his mind whilst actually running. There are so many snippets and phrases here that struck a chord with me and that made me think about why I run, what I do while I'm running and what the effects of running are. Murakami touches on all these aspects with his neat writing style. It's not a book about athletics or running per se, but it's an account of the feelings of life, existence and the human body that running brings out. A wonderfully written and very apt short book for me - one that I'll go back to again and again for inspiration.

Scotland (World Mountain Ranges)
Scotland (World Mountain Ranges)
by Chris Townsend

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I'd hoped - but a great piece of work, 13 Jun. 2013
When I first saw this I was really pleased. Obviously loads of research and compilation work has gone into this book and in that sense it's very impressive. So much diverse information in one place - and I will continue to use it as a reference point. However, I do have a few points to make - mostly about the author's style and approach.

Firstly - whilst I totally agree with the principles of environmental conservation e.g. pages 64-65 - I think there's far too much emphasis on avoiding the potentially damaging effects of 'wild camping' which is one of the most sensitive ways of staying in the mountains compared with (say) windfarm development, excessive use of cars (rather than public transport) and other environmental aspects like climate change and overgrazing (by deer and sheep). I think it would have been more helpful to focus more on the really critical environmental issues for the Scottish Mountains and what we can do about them to give them more balanced and careful consideration. Is it more helpful to lobby for restrictions on windfarm development rather than pick up fluff at wild campsites? On page 64 Chris writes about removing stone rings from overnight sites - presumably then he spends time removing the 'extensive low rock walls' on Sgurr nan Eag (page 503) constructed by Cuillin Ridge walkers! I think there's a bit of inconsistency there! Again on the topic of wild camping - there seems to be a current practice of stopping the car and putting up a tent next to a convenient layby or in a field. This isn't wild camping as defined and permitted by law and it has a lot more environmental consequences than true wild camping. It would be really good to encourage people to get away from campsites and roadsides and I don't really see this emphasised.

Secondly - I would have preferred a more objective and less personalised writing in some places. This isn't a magazine article describing a specific walk or day in the hills. As a reader I'm not particularly interested in what the weather conditions were when the author did a particular hill walk etc. I would treat this more as a reference book and source of good quality information (whether about mountaineering, the environment, history etc). However, Chris is a good writer and there are plenty of really good sections that are loaded with interesting and useful information.

On actual scope and content, I appreciate that it's already a big book. Activities covered include walking, climbing ski-touring etc. I'd have been happier to see some more mention of mountain biking (both positive and potentially negative aspects), kayaking and other mountain activities. Many people use the mountains for a diverse range of activities and whilst clearly the author has concentrated on those with which he's most familiar - it would have been good to recognise that other people may have different preferences which are equally as valid.

Finally on transport and 'getting around' - public transport is briefly mentioned over a few pages at the start. I don't think this is sufficient. There are some excellent bus routes that enable access to many parts of the highlands and islands. They get very poor coverage in this book and few people use them. I guess that's why (for example) the old bus into Glen Brittle stopped operating - because it was often empty whilst the car parks were generally full! If we want to really be sensitive to environmental concerns we need to start with our own approach - getting there and getting around is part of that. Plus - buses offer the opportunity for end to end walks rather than circular routes. I appreciate that information like this gets quickly outdated - but that's not the point - it's more about trying to convince people to stop driving everywhere in their cars.

If these comments all sound very negative - I apologise. I have enjoyed this book and I expect I'll continue to use it for many years to come. I'd recommend it for anyone who knows the mountains of Scotland - because there's always something new here.

Coleman Multi Fuel
Coleman Multi Fuel
Offered by WOW CAMPING

5.0 out of 5 stars Good delivery service and good price!, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Coleman Multi Fuel (Sports)
It's getting harder to find Coleman fuel in the camping shops and its becoming expensive. I still prefer it for my multi-fuel stove over petrol because it has less smell and is safer - it doesn't burn so fiercely. Buying it online is convenient and quick.

Seiko 5 Sports Automatic Gents SNZG11J1
Seiko 5 Sports Automatic Gents SNZG11J1
Offered by best quality watches

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, 7 Feb. 2013
I bought this after several disappointing experiences with cheaper watches. I just wanted something stylish, simple, with a clear dial and numbers and that was going to be totally reliable. Nothing fancy and no fiddly additional functions. That's exactly what I got! So far (after 8 months) no problems with this. If I have any criticism it's that the watch is slightly on the heavy side compared with other watches - that takes a bit of getting used to.

Brother HL-5340D Mono Laser Printer
Brother HL-5340D Mono Laser Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good steady printer - but some language problems, 10 Feb. 2012
As I expected this is a good basic black and white only laser printer. It's a little quieter than my previous brother printer - but so far I haven't had any problems with it (and I expect none).

My only gripe with this is that it came with packaging obviously not intended for UK. For example there were no written set up instructions in english (dutch and french only) and it came with a standard european plug connection rather than a UK one. Of course neither of these are huge problems (the english instructions are on the CD manual and I could use the power cable from my previous brother printer) but they were both a bit niggly when I came to open the box. A bit better quality control is required somewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2015 3:23 AM GMT

India: North East, Bangladesh Nelles Ma (Nelles Map): SPECIAL MAP: Kolkata (Calcutta). CITY MAP: Dhaka (Dacca)
by Collectif
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars Map of India NE and Bangladesh (Nelles), 31 Oct. 2011
The map is at a scale of 1:500,000 and covers the whole of NE India plus Bangladesh and Bhutan. It's printed on 2 sides - so this is helpful if you are travelling but there is a considerable amount of overlap between the 2 sides. There are also city maps of Dhaka and Central Kolkata but neither of these are likely to be of much use if visiting those cities (which anyway don't lie in NE India which is normally considered as the 7 states of Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura and Meghalaya). Better would have been small inset-sized city maps of the 7 capitals of these states.

To get an overview, this map is OK. It's clearly presented and main features can be seen. If you are really only interested in India's NE states - the excess areas covered are a bit superfluous. Had I wanted a map of Bangladesh (or Bhutan) I would have purchased one separately since they are available at larger scale. Since the 2 sides of the sheet are being used it would have been possible to cover these states at a larger scale with less overlap and avoiding these other countries. This would have given better value for money and given a more detailed map - as well as leaving space for the city inset maps. However, this is one of the few maps available (readily) covering this area so in that sense it has proved useful as a guide to this fascinating and less-visited part of India.