Profile for Princess Mononoke > Reviews

Content by Princess Mononoke

Princess Mononoke (Lancs, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Lion's Roar
The Lion's Roar

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (MP3 Download)
I only recently discovered First Aid Kit on Radio 6 and was hooked the first time I heard them. These two sisters, although young, have incredibly mature haunting voices, that have an almost ethereal quality. Hauntingly good melodies and arrangements leave you hungry for more, I cannot wait for them to release another album.

Blood Rites: (Bill Smith/Lydia Chin)
Blood Rites: (Bill Smith/Lydia Chin)
by S. J. Rozan

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read, 7 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
S J Rozan is rapidly becoming my favourite crime writer. I love the characters of Bill Smith and Lydia Chin; they are so well written I forget they are not real at times, the dialogue is quick and sharp witted and the story lines twist and weave into something totally unexpected - I don't understand why she is not as well known in the UK as in the US.

Skullcandy INK´D Earbuds with Mic - Blue/Black
Skullcandy INK´D Earbuds with Mic - Blue/Black
Offered by Hale Communications

5.0 out of 5 stars Big sound for a small price, 11 July 2013
A massive improvement on the apple ear buds that came with my iPod. Very comfortable to wear and great sound for such a small price, comes in a range of funky colours to suit all tastes. What's not to like?

Dr Christian's Guide to Growing Up
Dr Christian's Guide to Growing Up
by Dr Christian Jessen

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, Child Friendly and Easy to Understand, 27 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Received this today and am very impressed! We often watch Embarrassing Bodies as a family and find it a useful way to get discussions started as it is so informative and easy to understand, and this book takes the same tack.

The book itself is very colorful which instantly makes kids want to pick it up, and written in a very simple, but matter of fact way. It explains everything from how the body works, why puberty takes place and answers real questions that kids have sent it. It does cover sex, but not in any depth. It takes the approach of not doing anything before you're ready, don't be pressurized into sex or sexual contact. It dispels myths about pregnancy - such as you can get pregnant before you have had your first period etc, it covers how pregnancy happens, contraception and also STI's.

It also deals with body image, peer pressure, bullying and staying safe online and provides information on staying healthy and looking after your body.

My 11 yr old son has had a flick through it and found it easy to understand and gave it his thumbs up.

7dayshop Nano TV Digital Mini Media Player - Full 1080p Playback - Play any Blu-ray or movie file from USB HDDs / Flashdrives / Memory Cards - 5.1 Surround
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy when operating and badly fitting power cable, 12 April 2013
I think I must have a faulty item as all the other reviews are so good. The jack of the power lead doesn't push all the way in which means on mine it has to be "jiggled" about to work. When it does work there is a very loud buzzing noise which is very noticeable even when watching something. I have to say, in fairness, that if those two things were sorted out it would be quite a handy little item indeed; it's tiny so doesn't take up any room at all and the box itself seems very sturdy and has good quality playback.

I've given only two stars because of the problems above, but if they were sorted out then I would have to give it five stars!

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering, 23 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been edging towards a more vegetarian diet for a while now but my repertoire is sadly lacking. I've tried a few vegetarian cookbooks from the local library but have been a bit put off as they all seem to rely on cheese, tomatoes or pasta, which can be quite heavy and rather dull. I have one of Anjums cookbooks that accompanied her BBC TV series a few years back and that has been a firm favourite in our house for curries - but man cannot live on curry alone. When I saw this offering I just had to get it and I am so glad I did. The book itself is beautiful to look at and well put together. There is a really useful section at the front of the book on the different spices and ingredients, how they are used, what flavours they give and how best to cook them.

There is a very wide and varied selection of recipes, from starters, main courses and right through to deserts. They recipes themselves are well laid out and what I particularly like about Anjums style of writing is that she describes what the ingredients should look and smell like when they are cooking, so that you know when it is time to add the next ingredient. Tricky recipes like the little dumplings or momos have a series of photographs so that you can follow and perfect the techniques used.

My only dilemma is which recipe to cook first.

All That I Am
All That I Am
by Anna Funder

5.0 out of 5 stars A humbling insight into Germanys history, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: All That I Am (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only had to read the "blurb" on the inside cover to know that this was a book worth reading. I've read a lot of books about the war, but this was the first one I had encountered that focused on the German peoples resistance to Hitler and I am ashamed to admit that I had never really thought about what the ordinary people themselves had gone through. It's told through the eyes of two "real" people - Ruth Becker and Ernst Toller, but is a novel based on their story (and that of their friends) and how they had to flee Germany to escape persecution by the Nazi Party. It is told in a series of flashbacks: some are set during Hitlers rise to power, some during the late 1930's and some many years after the war when Ruth is an old lady. There is a humour and warmth in Funders writing that brings to life the characters and also makes the dangers they endured very, very real. It's humbling to read about the sacrifices they made and the horrors they endured, and I found myself wanting to know much more about the characters. This is a book I will read and read again.

Braun Series 5 5030s Premium Men's Electric Shaver with Flex Motion Tec
Braun Series 5 5030s Premium Men's Electric Shaver with Flex Motion Tec
Offered by The Tech Savvy

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Piece of Kit but very Overpriced., 21 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always viewed Braun products favourably and this doesn't let the brand down. It feels quite sturdy and solid when you hold it, which feels quite reassuring - I know it's going to last a long time, and with a young almost teenage son it needs to. My son tells me that it was nice and comfortable to use and didn't make his skin feel tight and sore like the cheaper shaver he had at home; also it was quite quick to charge (about an hour), so at his age the charge lasts a couple of weeks. I agree with other reviewers that for the price Braun are selling it at you would expect a hard case to go with it and not a flimsy drawstring bag, and I noticed that the price has shot up to over £100 which is crazy. It's a nice solid razor but certainly not worth £100!

Black + Decker GL5028SB 500W Reflex Auto Line Feed Strimmer
Black + Decker GL5028SB 500W Reflex Auto Line Feed Strimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, Lightweight and works like a dream, 5 Dec. 2012
Living in the NW of England we tend to get mainly rain as our weather. As a result my garden was looking a bit disheveled to say the least. This little strimmer has been a godsend for tidying up around the shrubs - it's sturdy, well made and surprisingly lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, enabling me to get right up to the plants without causing any damage. It made light work of the wet grass and made a tedious job very easy.

Genius HS-400A Headband PC Headset with Rotating Microphone
Genius HS-400A Headband PC Headset with Rotating Microphone
Offered by Genius Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for a bargain price., 23 Nov. 2012
I bought these for watching films on my pc without disturbing the rest of the household when they are watching tv. The ear cups cover the whole ear so reducing the effect of external noise and preventing sound leaking out and disturbing people around you. The cups are well padded for comfort and the adjustable headband means they fit both myself and my kids. No idea how long they will last but for a little over a tenner I'm quite happy to buy another pair when these wear out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20