Profile for Velma K > Reviews

Content by Velma K

Velma K (UK)

Wallace and Gromit in a Grand Day Out: Graphic Novel (Wallace & Gromit Graphic Novel)
by Nick Park

5.0 out of 5 stars A Grand Read, 5 Oct. 2009
Lots of the other reviews here, whilst glowing, are for other Wallace and Gromit titles. If anything I would say this is even better. 20 years since the release of 'A Grand Day Out', this graphic novel has been created with high production values. The illustrations are atmospheric and capture the feel of the animation, and the book itself is beautiful to look at. It has a foreword from Nick Park too - a real seal of approval from the man himself! Great stuff, I can't wait for the rest in the series.

The Art of Wallace and Gromit (Wallace & Gromit)
The Art of Wallace and Gromit (Wallace & Gromit)
by Beth Harwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Good Read, 5 Oct. 2009
As a long-standing fan of Wallace and Gromit, I really loved this book. It's set out almost how you would imagine Nick Park's sketchbook to look like, and shows you how the characters have developed over time. There's a section about Wallace and Gromit's relationship and tells you interesting facts about Nick Park's character development. Also, you can read about the Cracking Contraptions, Friends and Foes and there's a section about the Wererabbit film. The book has lovely development sketches from the recent 'Matter of Loaf and Death' too. I really enjoyed the final section, which has sketches from plotlines Nick Park started but never turned into film. If you'd ever wondered about how Wallace would look as a caveman, here's your chance! I'd recommend this to any fan.

I Heart New York (I Heart Series, Book 1)
I Heart New York (I Heart Series, Book 1)
by Lindsey Kelk

4.0 out of 5 stars Shoes, shopping & boys - what's not to like?, 2 July 2009
I'm not usually a big chick-lit reader but I wanted something fun and well-written to read on holiday and this fitted the bill perfectly. My sister loves anything chick-lit and she adored 'I Heart New York' too when I loaned it to her. Everybody's happy!

I really liked the author's guide to New York at the back - I'm planning on going next year and I'll definitely take it with me!