Profile for Shazzeth > Reviews

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [DVD] [1975]
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-See, 14 Jun. 2012
If you've not seen this film, you need to.

I've never seen anything that shows such polar opposites under the umbrella of one title. Both hilarious on occasions, and heart wrenching towards the end - it will quite literally make you laugh AND cry. Not many films can do that...

The Amityville Horror (Box Set) [DVD]
The Amityville Horror (Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Brolin
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 14 Jun. 2012
Amityville never gets old, and this is a great way to enjoy both films!

Having read the book, I love both films for different reasons. They both cover different aspects of the story, and show different elements of the haunting; with the original focusing moreso on the reaction of the priest and outsiders, and the remake more centred on the family itself. I love how "Jodie" is conveyed in the new film, and the acting by all participants (old and new) is excellent.

If you haven't read the book, I really suggest you do! Compliments the films and you'll enjoy them even more afterwards!

War Horse [DVD] [2011]
War Horse [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Irvine

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: War Horse [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
A lovely film, through and through. There is little I can say to fault it; the relationship between man and horse is breathtaking, and all of the animals are excellently trained. I particularly enjoyed the scene where Joey is being cut from the barbed wire, in No Man's Land! The only criticism I do have, is that the end seemed very rushed, when you compare it to the book. Otherwise, excellent! A true demonstration of love between man and beast.

Greetings from the Ocean's Sweaty Face: McSweeney's Postcard (Postcards)
Greetings from the Ocean's Sweaty Face: McSweeney's Postcard (Postcards)
by McSweeney's
Edition: Cards

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 14 Jun. 2012
I purchased this box set for Postcrossing and was not disappointed. Not only do you get a fantastic hard box, which holds the McSweeney's postcards, but they are all categorized and filed into order for you. The cards are a little small, but this is me being really picky. A massive range of designs - everything from quotes, to hotdogs covered in toothpaste! Can't really get much more diverse. I always dive into this box when I want to send something a little more unique to my fellow Postcrossers, and these postcards never fail to deliver.
Comment Comment | Permalink

South Shields Poltergeist
South Shields Poltergeist
by Michael J Hallowell

4.0 out of 5 stars "Intruder" is an understatment!, 14 Jun. 2012
I finished this book a couple of nights ago, after having spent a month or so reading. I bought it purely on the good reviews, and also I really thought it sounded intriguing. I'm fascinated by the paranormal, and this seemed like one of THE books on the subject, so gave it a shot. Put together by two proper investigators, who encountered the "polt" first hand, along with lots of other investigators. It makes a nice change to see something written by someone who was actually there ("This House Is Haunted" about the Enfield Poltergeist is another excellent read).

I will openly admit, I really struggled with the first 3rd of the book. It is good, in a sense that the authors contribute their thoughts and ideas as to the true nature of a "poltergeist" and what it is (in their opinions). It doesn't just say "the poltergeist did this", but explains WHY the entity may have done so. However, the first part of the book does get a bit repetitive - if I hear once more about a stuffed rabbit holding a box cutter, I will use the box cutter on myself! However, it is informative and well written.

From then onwards, once stuff really starts kicking off (probably around the time of messages being left on doodle boards), this book is a thrilling read. Packed full of thorough descriptions, and including some shocking accounts of the occurrences at Lock Street. Those more skeptical of you will definitely read this book and think "yeah right!", and I myself did that a few times, but overall this is an excellent and thought provoking read. Definitely worth checking out if you are interested in any aspects of the paranormal.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 8:15 PM GMT

Battle: Los Angeles [DVD] [2011]
Battle: Los Angeles [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Aaron Eckhart
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 5 Jan. 2012
I must admit, I did take a risk when buying this DVD. I had heard very mixed reviews from friends and family - it sounded like it was something you either really loved, or loathed, with nothing inbetween. But I thought I'd give it a shot.

I found the storyline appealing; but everything seemed too accepted by the characters. I mean, if I woke up one morning and found aliens shooting the hell out of where I live, I would be really terrified...aliens aren't an every day occurrence, after all. But despite being a little shocked at the situations, our characters seem to take it all a little too in their stride.

I also didn't like the fact that you have no real opportunity to make a connection with any characters in this film. I cannot tell you a single character's name, or what they do throughout the film. No one seems to really stand out, and I think that's sad.

If it's lots of explosions, guns, and action that you are looking for; then this film is for you. You won't be disappointed. However, if you are looking for something that actually has a storyline and a bit of substance to it, don't bother. Leave it on the shelf and look for something else.

2012 NG Magic Moments Grid Calendar
2012 NG Magic Moments Grid Calendar
by teNeues
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of A Kind!, 5 Jan. 2012
Quite possibly THE most attractive calendar, I have seen this year. A beautiful selection of photographs from around the world (although, mostly the US); full of colour, movement, and in the most inspirational locations. Congratulations NG! You've produced an absolute gem!

Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix 432g pack of 1
Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix 432g pack of 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, 5 Jan. 2012
My boyfriend and I purchased some boxes of this, so we could make rainbow cakes. Neither of us, or our families, were disappointed with the outcome. The cake was moist and absolutely delicious! It also rose really well, and was simple to make. Would highly recommend to anyone...especially if you were looking to make rainbow cakes!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage, 5 Jan. 2012
I bought these cards for Postcrossing, and was attracted by the vintage style of them. They have lovely tones of colour, and the cards themselves are well made and have a matte effect to them, which makes a change from the normal glossy postcards you can buy in shops.

There are some lovely designs included; everything from photography, through to digital collages, so there is lots of variety included in this pack of 10. I'm sure you can find something for everyone!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 Jan. 2012
"Beautiful" is literally the only word that can sum up this collection of postcards. You get a couple of each design, which is also very handy, and they are perfect to use for Postcrossing, or just as little expressions of love for your friends and family. They also come in a pretty display tin, which you could use for other things, once your postcards are gone. Great value item, and I'm really impressed =)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9