Profile for Kirstie Moore > Reviews

Kirstie Moore (uk)

Orchard Toys Three Little Pigs
Orchard Toys Three Little Pigs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 24 Mar. 2015
Great game, my 3 year old really likes playing it (as do i). It promotes counting and turn taking and its fun being the wolf (we try and out do each other by being the scarier wolf). I love orchard games, they are really good quality and looking to add more to our collection.

The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald

1.0 out of 5 stars Have I missed something?, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
Im 28 years old and only just read this American Classic. Shocking to some i know. It has been recommended to me more times than i can remember and so I had high expectations. I can honestly say it is the most boring book i have ever read. Nothing happens and when it finally does its predictable and dull. I do not know for the life of me how this book has earned the title of American Classic, i can only summise that people think its one of those books that they 'have' to like, either thar or ive missed something. I expected so much more. Give it a whirl though, form an opinion, its only redeeming feature is that its a really short book. Needless to say i have missed the boat with this one, i would quite happily wave it off at the harbour and never see it again.

Tiger Hills
Tiger Hills
by Sarita Mandanna

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent plot, 6 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Tiger Hills (Paperback)
This novel was a book club read and one that i enjoyed. Mandanna is obviously a master plot-smith and the plot remains driven and evenly paced throughout. The prose is beautiful in places but tiresome in others and in parts smarts of writing produced by a 12 year old in a creative writing class. That of course is merely my opinion and based on my personal taste. Some of the characters and very well developed and others not so. I particularly liked the characters of Devi, Devanna and Muchu, however, Devanna's actions in an important part of the book didnt strike me as something the character would do and annoyed me a little to be honest. Overall i liked this novel, i would recommend it to others but would not read it again. Give it a go though, its worth a read

Wuthering Heights: Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition (Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions)
by Emily BrontŽ

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 24 Sept. 2010
This is my favorite book of all time and so i bought this edition because i loved the cover design, it is so unqiue and i have never seen a copy of this novel as unusual as this one. I have now started to collect weird and wonderful copies of this fantastic novel. Im not going to give anything away about this book but i urge you to
purchase this edition and give it a read. It is simply beautiful.

The Other Hand
The Other Hand
by Chris Cleave

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be a victim of this shamesless marketing campaign, 5 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
I had picked this book up a few times but was put off by the gushing reviews on the back. However, a friend told me that it had been highly recommended to her so we decided to give it a whirl. One reviewer who raved about this said he cannot understand why some have given this book one star and ought to read it again. Honestly, I would not waste a second of my time and begrudged reading it in the first place. The first chapter started off quite promising, but that promise soon disappeared. The characters were shallow, not an awful lot of depth to them. They were very cliché especially Sarah and little Bee. Lawrence was a bit of a non character and there didn't really seem to be any point to him other than to get the story moving in parts. Their reactions to situations were not realistic, for example both beach scenes and I found them to be rather ridiculous. I found little Bee patronising at times and her part in the story could have been so much better. This is such a missed opportunity for writing about the issues of immigration in today's world and story of those who do not always have a voice. The novel was fluffy and had an air of chick lit about it. Perhaps he should have tried a few more drafts as he has only scratched the surface with the characters and plot, which made the whole thing quite contrived; you wouldn't stick around if you saw soldiers coming, you wouldn't cut off your finger, you don't follow an immigrant back to their own country where you know it is very likely you could get killed (and taking your son along for the ride). Please do not buy this book and be a victim of this shameless marketing campaign. I hated this book so much that I don't even want it on my bookcase!!! I will never buy any other works by Chris Cleave.

Hunting Unicorns
Hunting Unicorns
by Bella Pollen

1.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit keep away!, 29 July 2010
This review is from: Hunting Unicorns (Paperback)
This is the worst book i have read in a very long time and i read a lot of books. I felt a bit misled by it actaully, by the interesting cover design (i know never judge a book by its cover) and the blurb. Its chick lit in disguise from its cliche plotline to its humourless jokes, it is neither 'brilliantly compelling' or 'deeply moving' and most certainly does not come close to being 'funny to the last.' The characters are badly written with no depth to them. The choice of Narrative style i found slightly odd. If you like reading a bit of fluff then this is the book for you. If you require something with a more depth and soul then steer clear of this one.

The Reader
The Reader
by Prof Bernhard Schlink

5.0 out of 5 stars What do the second and third generation Germans do with the knowledge of the horrors of what happend during the second world war, 19 July 2010
This review is from: The Reader (Paperback)
I have to say i am a little dissapointed with some of the reviews on here, i assumed that because i got so much from this book others would also. First and foremost i found this book trying to answer the question of what one does with the knowledge of the horrors of the holocaust. How would it feel to know that your mother and father played their roles and did nothing? What, as the second generation, would one do with that? This is put beautifully on page 89-90
'We students in the camps seminar considered ourselves radical explorers.
We tore open the windows and let the air in, the wind that finally whirled away
the dust that society had permitted to settle over the horrors of the past. We made
sure people could breathe and see...The generation that had been served by the guards
and enforcers, or had done nothing to stop them, or had not banished them from their midst
as they could have done, was in the dock, and we explored it, subjected it to trial by daylight
and condemned it to shame.'

I found this book to be nothing like others relating to the holocaust, Schlinks easy to follow writing style makes the book highly accessible to a variety of readers (this book was a book club read -and all found, given the subject matter easy to follow and digest) The story follows a fifteen year old boy called Michael who, after falling ill, is helped home by a thrity year old woman Hanna Schmitz. After months of being bed bound Michael finally gets well again and his mother makes him go find the woman who helped him to say thank you. The story takes off from here. I will not go into to the rest of the story as it needs to be read with fresh eyes in order to gain the full impact.

All i would say is that it is a very through provoking read, which, if you are philosphically minded like myself, im sure you will relish in.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 1 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I initially bought this book while perusing my local Waterstones one Saturday afternoon, desperatly trying to find new reading material and came across The Book Thief. The enthusiasm of the assistants sold it for me and I settled down for a good old read, however, about three chapters in I could not get into it, it just didnt grab my attention at the time. So imagine my dismay when it was suggested for our next read at our monthy Book Club meeting. What a wonder of a book!!! The way in which the novel is narrated, by death, a concept that dissuaded me the first time, had me enthralled. This novel is so beautifully and poignantly written that I was hanging on its every word. Set in Germany during World War II Death tells the story of Liesel Meminger, a young girl sent away to a foster home by her communist mother when she is incarcerated in a concentration camp. On the journey to the foster home Liesel's brother tragically dies and while the grave diggers bury her brother, leisel takes a book, The Grave Diggers Handbook, despite being unable to read. 'The Book Theif had struck for the first time - the begining of an illustrious career.' And so the story begins.

Above all else Zusak has created some delightfully engaging characters, from the protagonist herself to foster parents Has and Rosa Hubberman and best friend Rudy Steiner. The Characters break free from the confines of the written world and live beside you long after the story is over. I still laugh out loud when i think of 'The Jesse Owens Incident.'

Ultimatley this is novel about guilt, friendship, the nature of humanity, the brutality of man and how the power of words can be used as a catalyist for change.

An unforgetable tale. Read slowly and savour the beauty.

Amsterdam
Amsterdam
by Ian McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars McEwan never dissapoints, 1 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Amsterdam (Hardcover)
As usual McEwan has a knack of leading you in one direction and then taking you off on a completely different and unexpected path . This is what i love about all the McEwan books i have had the privilage of reading and this one is no exception. In true McEwan fashion the tale begins with the funeral of Molly Lane, a whirlwind of a character who we get to know through her husband, George and three of her ex lovers. From this the repercussions of Molly lanes' relationship with these men is skillfully played out with twists and turns and shocking punches. I wont go on about the plot too much but all i will say is that it is a wonderfully crafted novel which expertly deals with themes of euthanasia, ethics and midlife crisis. A must read for any McEwan fan.