Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Kindle Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Profile for Ken Ward > Reviews

Content by Ken Ward

Ken Ward "Ken" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
4000 decent very funny jokes
4000 decent very funny jokes

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at the many negative reviews for this excelent book., 13 Jun. 2014
In spite of the many low scoring reviews, I looked at the preview which seemed to make clear what the book was about -- that is some jokes are risqué. Finding it amusing I bought it, and though I have only dipped into it, I find it a good buy.

The word "decent" in the title seems to have caused some problems for readers. It could mean conforming to standards and could mean "good enough", as in "His golf is decent, but his jokes aren't." I think the title might be a joke, although it is quite out of place in a book of this kind :-)

Some of the jokes I find belly-laugh funny; others may just be amusing; yet others may cause a pun-seeing groan; and yet others are inscrutable -- but sometimes I see the joke days, weeks ... later and find the joke funny (or not)!

Of course, all this depends on the individual and the individual's state of mind at the time, but this book is a low-price book with lots of jokes -- some of which, of course, aren't new to every reader.

Personally, I am glad I didn't listen to the sausages.

UK HDMI + Scart Freeview Digital TV Receiver and Recorder Tuner Set Top Digi Box Terrestrial & USB Multi Media Player with Advanced Program & Time Recorder . For UK Switchover Analogue To Digital TV Converter Box USB PVR Style TV Recorder with HDMI and SCART input DVB-T 1 YEAR WHATEVER HAPPENS REPLACEMENT WARRANTY.
Offered by UK-DIGITAL

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Full Freeview, 10 July 2013
The item arrived promptly. It arrived in 2 days. I did have a few problems due mostly to my ignorance, but the supplier responded quickly and sorted out my queries.

The device has an infra red receiver which is used by the controller to communicate. This has to be plugged in; otherwise the controller won't work.

The device has an aerial in and aerial out socket, which left me wondering whether I needed a short co-axial cable to connect it to the tv. However, the device worked with the aerial plugged into the aerial-in socket, and nothing is needed for the aerial-out socket.

The device set itself up quickly and easily to the freeview channels.

The control supplied is used to change channels and for setup, but does not turn the tv on or off. This requires the tv's normal controller, so two controllers are required.

Overall, this is a cheap, quick and easy solution to turning an old tv into a digital receiver.

The Handbook of Contemporary Clinical Hypnosis: Theory and Practice
The Handbook of Contemporary Clinical Hypnosis: Theory and Practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, 16 Mar. 2013
This is a large handbook of Clinical Hypnotism. It covers many aspects of hypnosis, including inductions and 'treatments'. This is evidence based hypnosis, referring to peer reviewed journals to support claims.

One point of interest to me is that you can read treatments for various conditions in order to learn techniques and images that might be used for OTHER purposes (other conditions). So, for instance, the techniques used for anxiety might also be used for other purposes, even other conditions.

While no one book contains everything, this one deals with many of the basic ideas of hypnosis as well as more advanced ideas.

Of course, no academic is going to rely on just one source, but this one is really a handbook that a professional can refer to for reliable, evidence based information.

The Gathering: The Second Draeken War #2 (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, 15 Mar. 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, and afterwards discovered this series is available in a combined edition which I bought. This series is a trilogy and ends with book 3 (or the combined version is a complete story). I found the book easy and captivating to read and it is one of or the most enjoyable fiction books I have read lately. I hope we see more from this author.

The SteelMaster of Indwallin, Book 2 of The Gods Within
The SteelMaster of Indwallin, Book 2 of The Gods Within

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this book and am waiting for the next one, 15 Mar. 2013
I enjoyed reading this book and am awaiting the publication of number 3 in the series (I think its due in a few months).

The Chinese Medicine Bible: Godsfield Bibles
The Chinese Medicine Bible: Godsfield Bibles
by Penelope Ody

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive overview, 15 Mar. 2013
This is a comprehensive overview of Chinese medicine. It is quite detailed so it is a dense summary. Excellent purchase!

A Quest of Heroes (Book #1 in the Sorcerer's Ring)
A Quest of Heroes (Book #1 in the Sorcerer's Ring)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 15 Mar. 2013
I have little interest in writing reviews, but realise that in order to encourage the writer I should write something. Just one messages for the author. Get the book 4 out! And as general advice to others, the first three books are available as a bundle, which I discovered only after I had bought these individually. So, I am waiting for book 4 (which I understand should be available in a few days -- can't wait!).

Update: (Book 4 was released the very day I wrote this review! (Magic? :-))

The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition): The Second Draeken War #1-3 (The Chronicles of Lumineia)

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading, 4 Mar. 2013
I read the first fantasy book, and realised that all three books in the series were available in one book, this collection, so I bought it.

I usually read fiction when I am too tired to read anything else, but with this one, I found myself having a quick read whenever I thought of the story. The characters in the story are memorable, but it is mainly an action story. It is well plotted, and the solutions for various problems often arise from the nature of the characters involved. So, such things as being fat may not be accidental, but something important in the resolution of the plot. I finished the series, having spent an enjoyable number of days reading and was left with that sad feeling that you get when you no longer have it to read and need to find something else. There is so much richness in these books -- the various fiends, the large number of characters and races of people -- that I could read it again (something I almost never do with fiction). I hope the author writes another book or series, but I think it may be at least a few months before that happens.

This is an excellent series which I am glad I discovered and I am sad to have finished it.

Roget's Thesaurus - Definitive Edition [Fully Searchable]
Roget's Thesaurus - Definitive Edition [Fully Searchable]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kindle Reference So Far, 5 July 2012
This is an excellent product. I use it on Kindle For PC. It is much easier to use than the paper version. Searching is very easy. It takes you to an index where there are links to the various senses and parts of speech. This is the first Kindle reference book I have bought that is optimised for searching. This book is a model for other publishers to follow (including big names in publishing!).

Some reviewers suggested there were spelling mistakes. I haven't looked, and perhaps never will look at every word, but everything seems fine. Roget does contain some foreign words, some old English words, and some words in unusual, but correct senses. For instance, under 'desire', there is '... twist; thirst...'. 'Twist' does look odd, but is used perfectly correctly. Elsewhere, 'drouth' is used perfectly correctly in the sense of a shortage, even though, 'drought' is more normal.

So a good cheap book which is easier to use than the print version.

BASIC BUDDHISM FOR A WORLD IN TROUBLE
BASIC BUDDHISM FOR A WORLD IN TROUBLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 8 Oct. 2011
I enjoyed reading this short book. It is written with clarity and authority. It also appears to cover the important basic practices in Buddhism. I wanted to read some more by the author, but couldn't find anything, except a part of this book published separately DEPENDENT ORIGINATION, which is also excellent. I found it confusing that 'the book' is published on kindle in parts. The other part I found, on meditation, I might have bought, but I was unsure whether it was included in the 'main book' or another part of the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2011 8:12 PM BST