Profile for Lorna Brown > Reviews

Content by Lorna Brown

Lorna Brown (London, United Kingdom)

Western Digital 320GB "My Book" Premium 1C External Hard Drive USB2.0/Firewire
Western Digital 320GB "My Book" Premium 1C External Hard Drive USB2.0/Firewire

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after a few weeks, 7 Mar. 2007
The Western Digital Firewire external drive I bought failed after just a few weeks. It stopped mounting onto the desktop, and appeared to cause other conflict problems with my new Intel Core Duo Mac and my old Powerbook, that died not long after installing this.

I was fortunate enough that it mounted onto the desktop just long enough to drag all the data off before dying for good. I sent it back (and got a full refund from Amazon, no problem) and replaced it with a Lacie hard drive instead.

Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 250Gb 7200Rpm 16Mb USB2 Retail
Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 250Gb 7200Rpm 16Mb USB2 Retail

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and cheap but you'll need to format it for Mac, 21 Nov. 2006
I panicked when this drive first arrived as it didn't work straight away with my mac but after a bit of a hunt on the internet I found out how to reformat the hard drive so that it was compatible and it has been great ever since. If you have No Clue about computers and want an external drive that you just plug in and away you go then perhaps you'd be better off with one that is specifically for Mac computers. If you know a tiny bit about computers then formating it shouldn't be a problem.

Photoshop Masking Compositing (Voices That Matter)
Photoshop Masking Compositing (Voices That Matter)
by Katrin Eismann

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Techniques, 17 May 2005
This book is amazing. The techniques in it revolutionised my relationship with Photoshop.My only quibble would be that the examples are a bit old-fashioned or cheesy which could put you off using her techniques. Anyone who reads it however, is sure to learn loads and wonderful shortcuts that can be used on any kind of photography.

Atlas of Foreshortening: The Human Figure in Deep Perspective (Graphic Design)
Atlas of Foreshortening: The Human Figure in Deep Perspective (Graphic Design)
by John Cody

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept but a shame about the quality, 17 May 2005
I loved the idea of this book. A book just on foreshortened views was just what my life-drawing shelves needed but I was quite disappointed with the quality of the images. They are not printed very clearly and are very grey and lacking in contrast. I would also have liked to see some more natural poses but from interesting angles- from above say. Most of the images were of reclined poses, and a lot of the Mild Foreshortening poses had already been covered in other books.
However it did offer some images that were of use and if you don't have any figure reference books it would probably come in useful.