Profile for Clive Fouche > Reviews

Content by Clive Fouche

Clive Fouche (Auckland, New Zealand)

Page: 1 | 2
RMS Olympic
RMS Olympic
by Brian Hawley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Refrence, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: RMS Olympic (Paperback)
I eventually ended up purchasing this book elsewhere because Amazon failed to deliver an undamaged copy. I ended up with three books because I had to have a copy. Although the text is fairly limited the pictures more than make up the difference but then this is the purpose of the book. One of my future projects is build a large scale model of the Olympic and this book is an ideal reference tool. One of the damaged copies will become a hands on reference that will get very grubby. I am glad that someone has taken the time to produce a good reference on the most successful of the Olympic class ships. I recommend "RMS Olympic, Titanic's Sister" by Mark Chirnside as essential reading for anyone interested in the Olympic.

HMS Victory - First-Rate: Seaforth Historic Ships Series
HMS Victory - First-Rate: Seaforth Historic Ships Series
by Jonathan Eastland

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Reference Book, 25 Jun. 2012
Some time ago I bought a book about the Victory written by Iain Ballantyne and Jonathan Eastland and when I saw this one I thought it was the same book only paperback. However a review I read caused me to take a closer look and I pulled my other copy off the shelf and noticed that the authors had reversed their names and the publisher was different. I never let a good Victory book go by so I bought it. It is brilliant in that it is full of high quality colour photographs of the whole ship. I have done a modellers tour of the Victory and took hundreds of photos and I have used this book to help me identify where on the ship I took those pictures and so help me with a model I will be doing. If you cannot get to look around the actual ship then this book will go a long way to filling a gap and is a valuable reference to anyone who is interested in the Victory, Nelson's navy and life at sea in that time.

Olympic & Titanic: The Truth Behind the Conspiracy
Olympic & Titanic: The Truth Behind the Conspiracy
by Bruce Beveridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for someone who wants to model the Olympic, 9 May 2012
I have wanted to build a model of the Olympic and get it right but have been hampered by the seeming lack of detailed information. The Titanic has overshadowed her two sisters, even more so now that the hundredth anniversary of the sinking has just passed. Nothing like a conspiracy to have all the information needed in one place and links to more information. There is more about the Olympic out there in terms of photographs and plans which causes no end of debate amongst Titanic modellers, myself included. I have other books by these authors and some are very detailed but they are Titanic orientated and as a result the success of the Olympic is over shadowed. This book debunks the Olympic Titanic switch theory in no uncertain terms and shows that these ships were very well built and could sustain damage with no risk of sinking. The Olympic sunk a U boat by ramming and sustained a torpedo hit that was not noticed for some time. The torpedo did not explode. She was a successful, reliable and fortunate ship.

Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig
by Lennarth Petersson

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, 9 May 2012
This book is a picture book that makes the layout of and 18 century ship rig seem so easy. The illustrations strip away the entire sometimes confusing jumble that exists on other rigging plans. This book is a must for any period ship modeller who wants to understand exactly how everything goes when doing an accurate model. It does not make rigging a model any easier but once all the hard work is done you can stand back and know that what you have done is right. I am glad that I have this book in my library as it will prove invaluable with a number of forthcoming projects I have planned.

The Cutty Sark, the Last of the Famous Tea Clippers V2: Describing the Masts, Spars and Rigging of a Scale Model, and Including the Builder's ... of the Original Ship (Large Print Edition)
by C Nepean Longridge

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Jan. 2012
I have "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by the same author and was expecting something of the same calibre. The content is outstanding but the book is rubbish. It is a very bad facsimile reprint of the original book and the reproduction is shocking. The photos are out of focus and distorted and the drawings that modellers need to work with are compressed and distorted. Don't bother buying this book or its partner because they are as bad as each other.

The Cutty Sark, the Last of the Famous Tea Clippers V1: An Account of the Ship Itself, with Plans and Full Instructions for Building the Hull, ... of a Scale Model (Large Print Edition)
by C Nepean Longridge

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Jan. 2012

Naval Firepower: Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates
by Norman Friedman

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 4 Aug. 2010
Some time ago I was standing in the fire control centre of the USS Missouri now berthed at Pearl Harbor looking at the technology and listening to the tour guide explain how it worked. When I saw this book on Amazon I wanted it but had to wait for it to be published. The wait was worth it. It has given me an insight into the workings big gun that is amazing. This book has opened me up to a deeper understanding of how these ships worked, the tactics they used and some interesting people who developed these tactics. This is the second Friedman book that I have on the subject of battleships and they are both outstanding. This is a must for anyone who wants to delve deeper into the technology that makes these ships tick. It certainly helped me get a better understanding of what went on at Jutland.

The Trafalgar Companion: The Complete Guide to History's Most Famous Sea Battle and the Life of Admiral Lord Nelson
by Mark Adkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly Stunning, 11 July 2010
This is undeniably the best book on the Battle of Trafalgar that I have ever read. It not only covers the battle, it goes into great detail about the lead up to the battle as well as the life of Nelson. The entire background to the battle is covered from the French and Spanish side as well as the English right down to life on the ships. Peppered through out with information "boxes" that bring small but important details to life. This book is not a dry read, as some books of this type can be, it is alive with the goings on of life and death at sea in the age of Nelson. The superb art work helps to give the book even more life and depth enabeling the reader to get a true sense of what it was like in ships of wood sailed by men of iron.

Building Miniature Navy Board Ship Models
Building Miniature Navy Board Ship Models
by Philip Reed

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a miniature shipwright., 24 Jan. 2010
This is an excellent book for the plank on frame ship modeller who wants to go to the next level and tackle an advanced project. This project being in miniature calls for a high degree of skill because of the sizes involved, but one can also get away with a multitude of sins. There is nothing to stop anyone using the information in this book to make a full 1/48 scale Navy Board Model Replica. Indeed the information can be used to build a model of any given sailing ship of the line and I hope someone beats me to build a model of the HMS Victory using the information contained in this book.

Battleship Bismarck (Anatomy of the Ship)
Battleship Bismarck (Anatomy of the Ship)
by Jack Brower

5.0 out of 5 stars Best set of drawings available., 23 Aug. 2009
An outstanding reference and I can understand why this book can be hard to come by. This will be an invaluable reference for the model that I will soon be building; it even has the exact paint codes on the cover.

Page: 1 | 2