Profile for Archie blue > Reviews

Content by Archie blue

Archie blue "Lily" (England)

Pilates for Over 50s 2 - Experienced beginner & intermediate workout. [DVD]
Pilates for Over 50s 2 - Experienced beginner & intermediate workout. [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liz Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 19 Jan. 2016
AN excellent DVD, I loved it. Clear, easy to follow and challenging. I would particularly recommend it for those who wish to keep up their Pilates at home, it ensures the excercises are accurate and pushes one just that little bit further. The benefits of this DVD are immeasurable in helping maintain a good posture and preventing, or putting right the aches and pains that can accompany aging and a poor posture. My own experience of Pilates has saved my sanity, suffering from persistent pain following surgery I can now, with ease, walk 2 miles a day, garden, generally lead a very active life and even touch my toes! I wouldn't however restrict it to the over 50's I think it would benefit any age.

All Change (Cazalet Chronicles)
All Change (Cazalet Chronicles)
by Elizabeth Jane Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ending to the Cazalet novels, 24 Sept. 2015
Wonderful to return to the Cazalet family again - a sad but realistic ending.

Charles River Apparel Pacific Poncho, Black
Charles River Apparel Pacific Poncho, Black
Offered by Paragon Stores UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 24 Sept. 2015
great garment - does what it's supposed to do and keeps me dry.

The Yellow Birds
The Yellow Birds

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Yellow Birds (Kindle Edition)
Unbearably moving. One of the best anti war books I have ever read. Written with a kind of tenderness the brutality of war has never seemed so pointless, the tragedy of one eighteen year old mirroring that of so many others.

Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan
Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book, 7 April 2013
A remarkable account of a disastrous invasion and attempt to manipulate a country we knew little or nothing about, and a dogged refusal to listen to those who were more informed, What makes it so fascinating are the original records from the principle 'players' on both sides documenting the entire conflict.

A sombre read in the light of our latest sojourn into Afghanistan - lessons should have been learnt, but haven't. The arrogance and failure to even try and understand the culture of Afghanistan is the same now as it was then.

William Dalrymple writes eloquently and intelligently and in spite of the length I was enthralled from the first page to the last. I cant recommend it enough.

The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East
The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East
by Sandy Tolan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan, 15 Nov. 2009
An excellent book giving a detailed and balanced account of the tragic history and present condition in Israel/Palestine. It is beautifully written and and provides an understanding of the conflict in a stark and unsentimental way.
Generally it leaves little to be hopeful about, there do exist small pockets of reconciliation outside the political sphere but it leaves one despairing that so little has been done to correct the terrible injustices perpetrated over the years,and so few protests.

The Caged Virgin: A Muslim Woman's Cry for Reason
The Caged Virgin: A Muslim Woman's Cry for Reason
by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars The Caged Virgin: A Muslim Woman's Cry for Reason by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, 20 July 2009
A fascinating insight into the lives of Muslim women from an intelligent woman campaigning for human rights for women who have none - an important read for western liberal society. Beautifully written.

Pilates for Over 50s [DVD]
Pilates for Over 50s [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liz Chandler & Nikky Smedley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Pilates for Over 50s [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this DVD - it was wonderfully clear and easy to follow, the pace was perfect and best of all it works. I have found that after regular use it has improved my posture, really strengthened those 'core muscles', (no more flabby tummy!) helped with my back problems and also the breathing has improved my asthma so much that I no longer use my inhaler at all. Highly recommended.