Profile for Mrs. Ja Stone > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Ja Stone

Mrs. Ja Stone (UK Wiltshire)

Atonement
Atonement
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning novel, 13 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
I read the novel after watching the film (which reduced me to tears )and it is a wonderful read. I could not put the book down and was soon carried along by the twisting plot. McEwans writing is powerful , but easy to read ,his descriptions so vivid you almost believe your there.

The story flows from the hot summer day in 1935 , through the british retreat from france, and nursing in war time london ,to its climax in 1999 with an aging briony finishing her atonement.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best novels I have ever read and look forward to reading McEwans other works.

Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr (Abhorsen Trilogy)
Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr (Abhorsen Trilogy)
by Garth Nix
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Liraeal by Garth Nix, 28 Nov. 2003
I have just finished Liraeal by Garth Nix and I want more NOW.It was unputdownable, I thought that Sabriel was a masterpiece ,but this is better.From the point that we meet Liraeal,to the cliffhanger ending, it is like nothing else matters. I have never been drawn into ,or devoured a book so ravenously since Lord of The Rings .Not that I am making comparisons ,but so original and compelling is this tale ,the magic is overpowering,it leaves one begging for more and I eagerly await Abhorson.