Profile for Biro > Reviews

Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
by Brian Clegg

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy topic!, 9 Mar. 2013
This book did not really get going for me until about half way through when they started explaining the Newton/Liebnitz conflict. It then goes on to describe the Cantor/Kroneker conflict as well. Some interesting stuff on Godels. Good read though, so stick with it.

Lonely Planet Phuket Encounter (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Phuket Encounter (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed., 9 Mar. 2013
Ideal travel companion. It fits in my bum bag and has the all the information I think I am going to need.

Oxford A-Z of Grammar and Punctuation
Oxford A-Z of Grammar and Punctuation
by John Seely

3.0 out of 5 stars Size does matter?, 9 Mar. 2013
Descriptions are very brief. Difficult to see who the book is aimed at. Failed to answer many of the questions I had on grammar. A lot more examples and counter-examples would have been useful.

The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever
The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchens shines the light., 8 Mar. 2013
Excellent collection of writings dealing with some of the nonsense surrounding religion. It is difficult to imagine anyone reading this book and not wantinig to sue the various relegious organisations for gaining money under false pretenses.

Some of the writings are a little difficult to read as their use of English is very dated. The book starts with the work of an arab and ends with how a Somali woman left her faith.

There is an excellent piece by one of the Penn and Teller magicians. If nothing else, read that one.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most important book I have ever read, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The God Delusion (Kindle Edition)
For me, this book put religion in perspective. We are very lucky to have people like Dawkins who are brave enough to stand up and talk sense. The book made a big impact on my thinking and I have since spent some time on youtube listening to the author and other like minded intellectuals. This book should be read by everyone.

Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure
Who Is Fourier? a Mathematical Adventure
by Transnational College of Lex Tokyo

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 4 Jan. 2013
This book is not actually about Fourier, but about Fourier Analysis. It as an exceptional piece of work in that it starts to explain the techniques of Fourier Analysis from almost ground zero right up to complex variables and groups. Whilst it is impressive, it is difficult to see who the book is aimed at. In parts the story-telling style would perhaps appeal to a year 8/9 student, but probably put a more mature student off. Perhaps it is best suited to a gifted year 9 maths student who could go as far as they want with it as quick as they want. I will certainly recommend it to some of my maths students. As a teacher, I found a couple of interesting ideas too.

The Castle [DVD] (1997)
The Castle [DVD] (1997)
Dvd ~ Michael Caton

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure joy, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Castle [DVD] (1997) (DVD)
If ever you need someone to show you the bright side of life, then watch this film. The lead character is just the kind of guy you need as a best friend. This has got to be the best comedy to have come out of Australia. I saw it several times before I eventually bought it! Classic.

I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny, funny..., 27 Dec. 2012
Have not laughed so much reading a book for ages. If you want to buy one book that will make you laugh out loud - this is it.

The Moon's a Balloon
The Moon's a Balloon

5.0 out of 5 stars One to read before you..., 27 Dec. 2012
Not a big David Niven fan as I always thought he belonged to my parent's generation rather than mine but after so many people recommended this book to me I at last got round to reading it. Funny, sad, honest and full of real stars. Loved it 100%.

Customer service emails that prove we are all doomed! (There is no update for stupidity: Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 27 Dec. 2012
Could not finish reading it. The idea of a support centre surely is to provide support to people who do not have the level of expertise or experience that the support centre has. To be mocked by the very people paid to help you does not seem right. May have got away with it if it was funny, but what I was able to read was not funny enough to hold my interest.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6