Profile for YO > Reviews

Yellowstone 19 LED Headlamp - Black, 1 Pack
Yellowstone 19 LED Headlamp - Black, 1 Pack
Offered by All Brands 2 U

4.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 30 July 2011
It was a little fiddly to get the battery pack in and seated securely. At first, the battery pack seemed loose and so the light kept going out. I finally got the fit just right and over my camping trip, the light worked well and provided light on very dark nights in remote locations in the country.

It has varying degrees of brightness, which is very useful.

I have given 4 out of 5 stars because getting the batteries in is fiddly and I am still not sure how I made it stable and secure. (I am one for reading manuals and following instructions to the letter)

Gelert CUT103 Trek 2 Stainless Steel Cookset
Gelert CUT103 Trek 2 Stainless Steel Cookset

3.0 out of 5 stars Job Done, 30 July 2011
Heat spreads fairly evenly, so good cooking. Size is suitable for 1 or 2 people only. Much smaller than picture implies, so perfect for backpacking.
However, coating on handles will not last long, seems to crack as pan heats (that is with them extended and kept well away from heat source at all times). Therefore, these pans may not last more than a handful of trips with handles still intact.
Otherwise, does job excellently. No dents despite knocks. Pack away easily and compactly. Blue cloth bag makes the whole set tidy.

Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook: Worldwide Cycling Route & Planning Guide (Trailblazer)
by Stephen Lord

5.0 out of 5 stars A point of view, 1 July 2011
An excellent book. It starts with the preparation and planning. Then gives insights into touring around the world. Not much on UK though. Then anecdotes from others. A very interesting read with lots of tips. I am experienced and still got something from this book - Good investment.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars NOTE - Can ONLY be used with a Shaver Socket!!, 31 Oct. 2010
This product cannot be used with an adapter. This fact is clearly stated in the instruction leaflet, but the seller does not make this clear. This requirement is because the socket has to be double insulated to prevent electric shocks. See more here http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RB7ZA9UR4TV4

It is also designed for use in the UK only, so voltage rating is 220-240V.

The product looks of good quality and build. Based on other reviews it seems to deliver on its claims, but I cannot comment on this fact. My landlord is not willing to bear the cost of installing a shaver socket in the bathroom, so ...

Update ** (2012)
I recently spoke with an electrician and was told that it is a very bad idea to run an extension lead into the bathroom.

Apparently, electrical fittings in a bathroom are rated down. Hence you will find the shaving sockets, not regular sockets in bathrooms.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 5:28 PM GMT

Topfit BC3000 Dumbell Weight Bench/Ab Board With Adjustable Preacher Pad
Topfit BC3000 Dumbell Weight Bench/Ab Board With Adjustable Preacher Pad

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - difficult to assemble, 31 Oct. 2010
This item comes part assembled, but is still difficult to assemble. I am a bike mechanic and I struggled with the appalling instructions. Many screws did not fit in the recommended holes (or poorly engineered), so I had to move things around based on girth of screws and weight baring section. It should not be so difficult.

The manufacturer's website did not include any instructions at all, but at least the seller has helpfully included many pictures on this site showing the various configurations. This helped enormously, but I wish there were more close-ups of these pictures, showing the details such as screws etc.

A multi-tool is included in the pack, but I needed to use my 17mm ring spanner to hold bolts as well, so that I could tighten knots. (Extra tool required)

Therefore, based on the problems I had putting it together, the idea of easily folding up and putting away this item is an illusion.

However, I will report back as I use, on its stability and ease of reconfiguration.

Sandberg Wireless Battery-Free Mouse
Sandberg Wireless Battery-Free Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Gem!, 22 Sept. 2010
I read the handful of reviews for this product, and thought I would give this a chance as it ticked all the boxes on my requirements list.

- Mouse pad the does not need replacing due to poor response of mouse
- No batteries
- No wires

However, I was not expecting much, having spent much more on various other big brand mouse and keyboards that disappointed.

My goodness what a surprise this was, not only does it look well built and of good quality. It is easy to install with no installation CDs etc. You literally just plug in the USB attached to the mat (the only wire), Win 7 will (it is Win XP - 7 compatible) say it has found new hardware and is downloading the software. The download took a couple of minutes. Once this is done, just press the TUNE button clearly marked on the pad, and away you go!

The response of the mouse is excellent, I no longer have to run over several surfaces to find my cursor due to mouse non-response. The mouse is also very light, so may take getting used to if you have been using a heavier one. The mouse size is about average.

Now, unless this product packs up in the next year (it comes with a 5 year warranty), I can see no reason not to say that this beats the "big boys", you know the brands I mean, hands down.

ps. I will report back if any faults.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique look and good quality, 16 Sept. 2010
Working with lots of other people, tools can get mixed up and lost. These have a very unusual finish, almost a rainbow effect, depending on light. Well made and excellent quality too; smooth finish with no bumps or rough edges. Extremely good value - Love them.

Rolson Tools 46680 CRV Combination Spanner Set - 8 Pieces
Rolson Tools 46680 CRV Combination Spanner Set - 8 Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and beautiful to look at .., 16 Sept. 2010
Good solid product. The spanners have no joins or bumps-smooth and shiny all over. Very good quality, especially given the price.

ZENBOW bundle - Aroma Diffuser & Colour Changing Mood Light plus ESSENTIAL OIL
ZENBOW bundle - Aroma Diffuser & Colour Changing Mood Light plus ESSENTIAL OIL
Offered by Amazing Health

5.0 out of 5 stars Changes the ambience of a room, 7 Sept. 2010
I have used a stone diffuser for years, so was not sure what to expect, especially after reading the reviews. However, I have used this product for a day and love it. My bedroom feels different to the rest of the residence. The recommended 5-6 drops more than enough to scent a room. In fact, I found using 2-3 drops was more than enough for an approx. 121-144 sq ft room. The stone scent fades after about 2 hours, but this product goes for hours until the reservoir is empty.

The instructions were simple as is the product to operate. The changing lights are the icing on the proverbial cake, adding a soothing and restful feel to a room (in the dark). There is a simple cycle of 4 modes with the button 1st press: changing lights and diffuser -> 2nd press steady light and diffuser (light colour the current light in cycle) -> 3rd press no light, only diffuser and -> 4th press off.

Cleaning is very easy too, just lift top and wipe (pour out remaining liquid, if any).

Update - 2+ months in and love this product more than ever. I had quite a bad head cold recently and putting in my eucalyptus blend worked wonders for my sinuses. Plus, I get a touch of claustrophobia when I have bad head colds and always used to have to light a tea light in the passage as the bedroom lighting was too bright for sleeping, but I could not cope with the total darkness either. Now I have this amazing night light as well as diffuser. The red works best as no white light in it, so almost dark.

How did I survive before!!

Update - 1 year in and still loving this product. I live in a hard water area and the little white plastic cover is harder to clean. I have found just heating some white vinegar in a jar and soaking the cap in it, followed by a cotton bud to remove any remaining residue in the little nozzles works a treat.

FINAL UPDATE
Alas at exactly two years old; it began to make a very loud and horrible grinding noise as if it is struggling to get the fan going. I will admit I am a 'tinkerer', and so I opened it up and had a look. As far as I could see it has a fan attached to a circuit board, as well as the bit that does the cool steam. The noise was coming from the area of the fan. It was not rusty or stuck, so I inferred that obsolescence was built in and bits had just worn out. Also, I have seen similar comments elsewhere on the internet at the 2-year mark.

That said, I love this product and it made me happy, so I will look for a similar one to replace this one; perhaps not quite as expensive.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2011 8:05 PM BST

Mack's Sound Asleep Ear Plugs (12 Pair) - Dark Blue
Mack's Sound Asleep Ear Plugs (12 Pair) - Dark Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - really reduces the noise, 6 Sept. 2010
I have used NRR 29dB rated Flents ear plugs that I used to get from the US Earplug Factory, for years. I have tried other varieties over the years, but either comfort or effectiveness was an issue. I decided to try these as I they looked good and the reviews were fairly favourable.
They are brilliant and at NRR 32dB, there is a noticeable increase in the noise reduction. They are lovely and soft and make an effective seal too.
However, I would suggest that customers consider ear canal size - I am medium and they can be a little uncomfortable if inserted to recommended depth. I have reduced the depth without loss of seal and get little ear discomfort. Small canals should look for the female sized models.
Also, the Mack's NRR 32dB earplugs marketed with different names are the same except for packaging and plug colours (Sound Asleep and Snore Blockers). I bought different packs at largely varied prices with the same package content from different sellers!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5