Profile for R. A. Caton > Reviews

Content by R. A. Caton

R. A. Caton "Arcaton" (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Songs Of World War I (75 Songs)
Songs Of World War I (75 Songs)
Offered by Special Interests

5.0 out of 5 stars The Disc Set to End All Disc Sets, 25 Nov. 2016
This set of three CDs is firklin' brilliant. When I started collecting records years back these titles would have been hard enough to find on 78 and even harder on LP... and here they are on 3 CDs at a budget price in excellent transfers.

Granted some of this stuff - "Rose of No Mans Land" and that invite to death "We don't want to lose you (but we think you ought to go)" is very very much of its time and an attitude to "King and Country" long gone (in part due to the horrors of the first modern meatgrinder of a war)....
But there other totally non war related numbers (If You Were The Only Girl In The World" from The Bing Boys are back...."Boiled Beef and Carrots" from Harry Champion) Mostly contemporary versions with the occasional 1930's music hall revival recording, this set is a must buy if you have any appreciation of past artistry.
I wish my grandfather and father were alive to enjoy it. I grew up to some of these songs....

Edit:- disc 3 track 2 Tramp Tramp Tramp...there is a skip in verse 3 ...not the CD its in the original

NieA_7 Scrap [Kadokawa C AEX] (NieA_7 Scrap) (in Japanese) by Yoshitoshi Abe
NieA_7 Scrap [Kadokawa C AEX] (NieA_7 Scrap) (in Japanese) by Yoshitoshi Abe

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could understand written Japanese if the text is as wonderful as the artwork., 7 Nov. 2016
I adore Yoshitoshi ABes character designs and artwork. The great tragedy of Neia_7 is that it isn't easily available in English (French R2 DVDs etc, mine were R1 and sech at that). The characters and story though are gentle and sweet and this shows in this superb book.

We have artwork relating to the DVDs and earlier work...
How to Niea_7...
a comic strip...
and some delightful character sketches. Be aware, there is a lot of text around the art and it's all in Japanese.

With ABe's "In the Town of Guri in the Garden of the Charcoal Feathers" there are translations available on line from various sources, I shall be searching for similar relating to this.

But the art makes it worth while.

NEW MALE FANCY DRESS SHORT BROWN WIG METRO SEXUAL
NEW MALE FANCY DRESS SHORT BROWN WIG METRO SEXUAL
Offered by Party4Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain priced rug for the old bald bonce., 3 Nov. 2016
I found the wig very tight around my bald head (not the fault of the wig, its cheap and cheerful) but it actually looked quite good. I chose a bronze coloured wig which made me Weasley recognizable (ow) and gave my workmates a good giggle with the rest of my Halloween costume....

It reminded me also of the syrup worn by Capt Mainwaring in the episode where he had to look younger.. (Keep Young And Beautiful)

People mock those who wear cheap wigs. Let them mock, this particular rug didn't look at all bad and was excellent value for the price

The Greatest Billy Cotton Band Show
The Greatest Billy Cotton Band Show
by John Maxwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wakey Waaaak-HAY!, 1 Nov. 2016
This is a fairly lightweight book that nevertheless fills in the background of one of our greatest band leaders. Sometimes derided for the family friendly stuff of the Billy Cotton Band Show...as much a part of my childhood Sundays as roast beef and gravy......the Cotton band could and did frequently play hot music with the best of them.
Billy Cotton was quite the guy, a racing driver and WW1 pilot as well as bandleader. Apparently he couldn't read a note of music...he played drums (says a lot, that).
Definitely a good and interesting read (i recommend his son's book Double Bill as well!)
As originally sold (mine was remaindered at 50p!) this book had a 45rpm soundtrack disc inside the back cover, I hope the one I just ordered has that....the quality of this book is evinced by the fact that mine was borrowed years back and I haven't seen it since.

Buy it.

ZORRO THE GAY BLADE (1981) (REGION 4)
ZORRO THE GAY BLADE (1981) (REGION 4)
Dvd ~ Lauren Hutton

5.0 out of 5 stars If youre here for Zorro then jolly well say so! Bless the British Nsvy!, 31 Oct. 2016
At last I have a copy of this glorious romp with George Hamilton both as Don de la Vega and his effeminate brother Bunny Wigglesworth.....
My old copy was on Betamax and I'd almost given up on getting a disc... No great extras but a good clear copy and a hilarious send up of the Zorro mythos not equalled until Banderas played it straight again.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. and this by one who has seen them from Fairbanks via Williams to Banderas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2016 4:21 PM GMT

Jungle Burger AKA Shame of the Jungle [DVD]
Jungle Burger AKA Shame of the Jungle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame! Not shameful. Let go cheetahhhhgh!, 31 Oct. 2016
Tarzoon La honte De Ls Jungle I think the original title is....a cartoon for the occasional belly laugh and lots of sniggering. Very much of its time for "adult" I.e sexually suggestive humour this cartoon is an acquired taste. I would suggest to the broad minded that they acquire a copy. This one replaces my knacked pre 1984 VHS copy with the pause control striations on the tape.

The stereotypical hunters and pygmies may have you squirming, the one Shame ( of the jungle) saves from a big cat.....gleeful subversion of cliche. As non PC as they come, this cartoon as Pepys would have said will "do no harm but to read once for information's sake"

Buy it and corrupt yourself. Oh, the OSTs good.

REDSTAR WHITE ANGEL FAIRY WINGS AND HALO - WHITE ANGEL HALLOWEEN FANCY DRESS COSTUME PARTY
Offered by London Accessories Boutique

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang on the money for discreet halo and wings cosplay, 31 Oct. 2016
Clearly aimed at a smallish child, these nevertheless hit the spot for the Halloween costume I am wearing as I type this. The wings are nicely feathered and attach with two elasticated (knicker elasticated) loops, although I myself have incorporated them into a T-shirt. They are a reasonable size (given in the description) and look top hole. The halo is small, fluffy and has a transparent Alice band to attach it. I've had no problems so far and it has got a lot of laughs. I can see a young child being utterly captivated by it as fancy dress.
It arrived really quickly and I'd thoroughly recommend it. If only they came in charcoal grey and "sin-bound" spotted versions....

On The Air: Celebrating 90 Years Of Broadcasting
On The Air: Celebrating 90 Years Of Broadcasting
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you sitting comfortably? Slap this in and begin (chimes and all!!!), 31 Oct. 2016
I love this disc though some of the themes are a bit iffy...the intro to the VEday edition of ITMA...a strange version of the Dr Finlay theme....but all the favourites are here (including Puffing Billy as always). Themes...especially radio themes to us crumblies...immediately take one back to that safe place, in the room lit by firlight and the soft glow of the wireless tuning dial.....its odd using the TV version of the Hancock theme...although the Blood Donor extract (presumably a slice of Pye?) makes one want to get the LP of DVD and relish it all....
Nicely warming. If you like the light music featured here you may like "The Great British Experience" on CD, stuffed to the gunwales with nostalgia and duplicating one or two tracks on this double album.

Monster Musume Vol. 9
Monster Musume Vol. 9
by OKAYADO

5.0 out of 5 stars The further adventures of our favourite liminals., 31 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Monster Musume Vol. 9 (Paperback)
The further adventures of our favourite liminals....this time venturing to Meros home turf ......
Excellent as always! Sets up a demand for volume 10 come January with a cliffhanger involving Zombina-chan and the girls of Mon. This arises from a tale involving Lala the Dullahan, always fascinating to read about. Smith -San might actually have to do some work this time....
The Monster Musume books are always a fun read. Let's hope that they make a second season from the anime when the manga probuce enough material, darlink!

How it Works: The Cat (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
How it Works: The Cat (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
by Jason Hazeley

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladybird Ladybird fly away home....subversion by nostalgia, 31 Oct. 2016
I bought mine in Sainsburys and just had it recommended to me by Amazon. I loved it. It gave a superb insight into the workings of the feline mind (as if THEY care). I love the idea of these adult Ladybird Books and find the well selected illustrations tickle my nostalgia nicely. Encourages the pur hsse of further books in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20